Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

In elementary school I participated. In 3rd grade I was one of the best kids, physically. I still always got picked last. After that though I stopped participating. I never got dressed and just sat on the benches. In middle school my teacher understood and just had me patrol the locker rooms to make sure no one was left in them. My bully was there though and would bother me most of the time. I also did paper work throughout middle school.

Once I got to high school it was another story. I NEVER got dressed once in five years. The teachers just thought I was a bad kid. I ended up showing up past 10:30 (if gym was my morning class) and left at 1pm (if gym was my afternoon class).

My teacher always tried to get me to do something. A guidance counselor thought it had something to do with me being gay and not wanting to be around boys in the locker room. I never actually mentioned I was gay, she just figured it.

I hated getting the evil looks from teachers and students. So I stopped going to school for a while again. The people in gym were also peculiar. They were "straight" but would seem to do things that didn't look so to me.It was very stressful for me that we all had to exit through the locker room.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 4:55 pm

I didn't have a choice. I never managed to get a higher grade than C though, no matter how hard I tried. I wasn't that bad.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 5:05 pm

I had 60-70% average because I spent most of the gym class avoiding ass kickings. It brought my grades down.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2011, 5:16 pm

I got the grade Z.

quietbird
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2011, 7:09 pm

No, I despised team sports as a kid and really wasn't athletic at all.

As I got older I found out that I'm a talented cyclist, runner, skier, mountaineer, and rock climber.

Kind of funny how that worked out.

Butterflies
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2011, 7:13 pm

I loved gym, it was my favourite subject. I used to love playing football, rugby, hockey, badminton, and basketball. Hated doing athletics and gymnastics though.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 8:35 pm

I didn't have a choice but to go, and I sort of got through it, hanging on the sidelines of games, trying not to get near the ball. I didn't mind the physical fitness exercises though. And the locker room was all right, but I'm female so perhaps there's a different kind of pressure.

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2011, 9:53 pm

I loathed it.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 8:26 am

Arminius wrote:
I loathed it.

+1

Being unpopular and being utterly ungifted with athletic prowess made me hate gym class. Teachers did nothing to create an environment that I might enjoy it at all.

And the other kids were insanely cruel to me. Made me hate it all the more.

daughter189
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2011, 8:32 am

I hated it and avoided it as much as possible. I got either notes from my mum (she also hated it when she was at school so was willing to write them for me). If I did participate I stayed away from the ball or whatever, walked (instead of ran) the hundred metres out of protest. I would swap teams during games and always join the one that wasn't playing. Brilliant idea, I think.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 8:36 am

It was required, a necessity. I hated it always, and was bad at it.
Yes, I was picked last for teams.
I dislike sports in general, I find them awfully boring.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 10:28 am

In early elementary school I avoided participating in ball games altogether (namely soccer). In upper elementary school I was attending a special training bc of my spinal problem and released from regular school gyms. Despite being somewhat clumsy I liked to participate in it. Fortunately in secondary school I didn't have to play soccer. During elementary school I slowly learned to swim and I swim regularly since then. I always liked to ride the bike but it was no sooner than my 3rd year on the uni when I bought a good mountain bike and started to cycle as my first sport activity.

I wasn't the favorite student of the teachers during gym classes, I didn't always do what they said and I was afraid of being yelled at.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 10:35 am

I hated it in almost every respect. I got As in gym, but that's because the grade was entirely (and I mean ENTIRELY) attendance based.

Xenia
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2011, 10:44 am

I didn't like it but had to go, I did manage to refuse to go to swimming classes tho.

I was always picked last and always rubbish, I didn't register that I had to actually move a lot of the time, for example in volleyball I would just stand and watch the ball pass me with everyone shouting at me, it never really occurred to me to do anything, I was very slow at running also because it never seemed to occur to me that I could put some effort in and I would go faster!

Actually the only time I was popular was when people were choosing positions in netball - Everyone wanted to mark me on the other team :?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:37 pm

Yes, I always did. I loved PE as a kid because it was all fun and games. Then it got boring by the time I was in middle school because it was sports. Then by high school, I hated it. I only participated in it still because I didn't want to get a poor grade or else I'd fail the class and have to take it again the next year and I didn't want that.

I don't remember what grade I got. I think it was based on participation.

And out teacher always did numbers, he didn't have us pick who for the team.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 3:44 pm

I had to participate, there was no other option. I hated gym class with a passion though. I've never had good motor skills and I was terrible at most of the things we were supposed to do.

During elementary school I acquired a painful disability that remained a mystery to doctors for a long time, but limited my ability to do sports even more than before, yet I was forced to try to participate and was usually worst at everything, picked last for teams and made fun of for not being better at this stuff. The teacher was very impatient with me too. Gym class was a total nightmare for me, painful both physically and mentally.

When I was in high school I finally got permission to reduce my participation in gym class, depending on the level of physical pains I was feeling at each time. I could choose whether to participate or just watch during class. The teacher I had in high school was also much better and more understanding than the previous one, so gym class was less horrible.

I was not happy to discover that there was gym class in my college too. I dreaded it, but had to participate.