Anyone else feel uncomfortable sitting in a group?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lymerence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2016, 6:40 pm

When I'm with my group of friends at school I'm always the one standing up and just listening into the conversations instead of taking part. Like, no matter where we are, I only sit down if I'm explicitly told to. It's just so uncomfortable when you're on everyone else's level, it's like you're surrounded by giant walls. It's also that you're generally closer to them, but even if we're the only people in a room and chairs are scattered about, I still can't; it generally makes me feel really vulnerable. Standing is much more comfortable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 6:43 pm

I don't like being with groups of people, period.

But I'd rather sit than stand.

Maybe it's my advanced age? :wink:

lymerence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2016, 6:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't like being with groups of people, period.

But I'd rather sit than stand.

Maybe it's my advanced age? :wink:

Well I'd rather not, but it's kinda an expected thing at school and the only time I actually make any mental contact with people.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 6:52 pm

I tend to distance myself physically from groups, regardless of whether I'm standing or sitting. Even if I want to be included, I feel uncomfortable and my conversations are awkward. Half the time it seems people completely ignore the things that I say, because I don't get loud and interrupt people as they do. Plus, I seem to often have different thoughts or ideas on the situation, or I misunderstand the point of the conversation. So yes, I am uncomfortable sitting, but also just being with the group or near it.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 7:05 pm

I prefer to sit if given the option, but I do whatever everyone else is doing when I'm in a group. So if they are standing, I will stand, and if they are sitting, I will sit, even if one or the other would be more comfortable for me at the time. However, I do the same thing about just listening to everyone else and rarely taking part, even when I have things I want to say. It's hard to know when to jump in, and whether what I have to say is actually interesting/relevant or not. I also feel very uncomfortable and "on guard" in groups, and I focus on doing my best not to seem weird or anything, which usually means not saying a word and seeming weird anyway.

Edit: Thinking more about it, standing is kind of hard for me. I'm perfectly fine with walking, but when standing still, I feel like I have to make a conscious effort to keep my muscles tensed up right. I tend to lean on things if I can, or I shift my weight back and forth from side to side, like sideways rocking, if I have to stand still for long, which my Dad has always teased me about (he calls it "dancing", and I probably wouldn't know I did it if he didn't always tell me to stop dancing). Not really sure why, but it's much more comfortable for me to sit down and let my muscles relax than get all tensed up standing still.

BrendonIrwan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2016, 10:15 pm

Most of the time I find myself uncomfortable when sitting in groups, although I depends on who I sit with. I hardly speak out to them during conversations as my topic of interests seem to be way of their gird. Occasionally I feel like leaving the group on my own for…no apparent reasons or so.

tatals
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2016, 10:28 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I tend to distance myself physically from groups, regardless of whether I'm standing or sitting. Even if I want to be included, I feel uncomfortable and my conversations are awkward. Half the time it seems people completely ignore the things that I say, because I don't get loud and interrupt people as they do. Plus, I seem to often have different thoughts or ideas on the situation, or I misunderstand the point of the conversation. So yes, I am uncomfortable sitting, but also just being with the group or near it.

Exactly what happens to me.