Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

SomethingWitty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2011, 8:51 am

Have you ever revisited old obsessions to see what all the fuss was about? What did you find? Did they strike you as interesting or did you feel it was a waste of time? I used to have an obsession with fish and aspired to be a marine biologist. My obsessions range from fish to conspiracy theories. :lol:

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 9:11 am

I've revisited old obsessions before, often with mixed results. I've found that "skills" based ones, like drawing, tend to be easier to forget about for awhile, and then pick up again at a later day.

TV programs, not quite as much. I found myself a little disappointed after I finally managed to watch Sailormoon all the way through a few years ago. I had been really obsessed with it for about 5-6 years, despite the fact that I'd barely even seen the series. I collected art books, manga, merchandise, CDs, made websites, wrote fanfiction, you name it... I knew all of the characters, when they first appeared, and what their personalities were like. But seeing it all the way through just wasn't as much fun as I'd imagined. I still love the series, but revisiting it didn't revive my passion like I'd hoped.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 9:15 am

I've only had a couple of "old obsessions" so far, and I think that my second obsession (The Beatles) was in attempt to try to see if the interest can be "stronger" than my original special interest/obsession, which was Presidents of the US (esp. JFK.) I'm still interested in the Presidents, but I went through a phase during which I was very sensitive to the criticism of peers, and I extinguished the intense interest during this phase due to realizing that it was not normal to be obsessed with the Presidents. This kind of "ruined" the whole interest for me; I don't think I'll ever be as content with being interested in the Presidents as I was in primary school... :(

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 9:17 am

I started playing Game Gear again about 3 weeks ago. It's still as cool as it was before. Love live the Game Gear.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 2:14 pm

I like revisiting old obsessions sometimes. When the urge hits me to revisit them, I spend a day or two reading up on them and looking up pictures and items related to them. It tends to bring about feelings of nostalgia. Some of my previous obsessions were Beetlejuice (the cartoon series), Balto, Hamtaro, Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, Naruto, One Piece, Hellsing, and Trinity Blood.

stargazing
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2011, 2:38 pm

ANY time I revisit any "special interest" or obsession I've had at any point in my life, no matter how long ago, it tends to take hold and come back in its full intensity. :)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 3:01 pm

My obsessions never fully go away, they're just minimized when I find a new one, and I can come back to them any time I like. What I have found is that the stronger the interest, the shorter it lasts before I go back to something I was previously interested in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 5:28 pm

Two years ago this coming fall, I've realized that something wasn't right in my life. I ditched the punk rock prudery and decided to try a special interest that I last had in early 1997. The Kinks and 1960s London. You all know the rest of the story.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 5:42 pm

I like revisiting my old obsessions when something reminds me of them. I never think any of them were a waste of time but the feeling and intensity is never as strong as the first time. It's more like just sweet memories. I rarely get obsessed about the same thing again. But sometimes the revisiting ends up with a new obsession - something connected to the old one.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 7:51 pm

I've done this. When I was younger, my special interest was roller coasters. I remember having a season's pass to the local amusement park. When I look back at it, I don't seem to really care anymore. I mean, I will still go to the amusement park a couple times a year, but it's not the same as when it was my special interest.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 8:00 pm

Yes I do this too.............usually I can't revive it with the same intensity and passion............but there have been exceptions..............

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 8:54 pm

I do this regularly. The results are erratic. Sometimes, the interest revives, sometimes it doesn't.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2011, 4:53 am

I actually found an old (and broken) tamagotchi in my desk today looking for some paperwork. I remember being really into them in the early 90's when they were a fad, and had stacks of them. This must have been one I kept for some reason - probably because it's broken. Revisiting it, I still like them. It's probably weird for an adult, but I plan to take it to a game/electrical repair and see if they can fix it - presumably still interested in fiddling with the tamagotchi even though I (apparently) grew up.

Sheldon96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2011, 5:13 am

I've tried to visit several of my many old obsessions, such as Collecting gemstones, Nintendogs, Rock music, Sailor Moon, Hamtaro, animals, Fruits Basket (manga), etc. But none of them really have the same 'buzz' for me anymore, except maybe nintendogs.
No, I love Pokemon now :) I would say Asperger's itself has become an obsession of mine as well.