Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ragingbullfrog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2011, 8:23 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

I do hope you are all well.

I am an undecided possible borderline Aspie. One thing that troubled me is that did or do not do the stiimming I read so much about. Hand flapping, twisting fingers (although I am bending my toes under themselves as I type. Does that count?), rocking and other motor movements. However, I think I am definitely and was a visual stimmer. An area I have not fully explored until now. I shall provide some examples.

I used to squint as a child. Specifically at night in a car. I would make the street lamps look all starry.

I always try and induce double vision. I dont know why. I also try and make things go out of focus. A lot. I thought it was due to my poor eyesight, but possibly not. Or daydreaming like behavior, but when I do it I am rarely thinking of anything.

I used to flicker a pen (or my finger) in front of my eyes whilst watching telly, and watch or try and make shapes. The pen would eventually make a crosshatch shape. I would do it for ages.

I had one of these 3d pattern style wallpapers in my bedroom. I would try and invert the pattern with my eyes, and keep it like it for minutes.

I also used to trace a pattern in my Grans settee with my finger. It was kind of embroidered with parts cut out. Again, much to my own amusement.

When my mum started the washing machine, I would sit and watch the drum go around. I remember this being a short phase of possibly a few years.

I have thought of one facial tick I used to do, and that is stretching my face. My mouth and eyes mainly as far as they could. I thought it was just a bad habit, but have never encountered any one else that did it. I remember it lasting for a good year. As I think about it, I actually want to do it. Scary :-( it used to feel really good though, but I had to try and stop it.

I am sure there are many more, but these are the one that stick. Have any of you guys had the same thing? and as I get older, I find people do not typically do these thing. When I look back in glee at these things, people look back gone out.

Thanks for your time. Any comments will be gratefully received. I am also thinking of getting a diagnosis based on this and other things I have noticed, but I may go into another thread for that.

Cheers,

Alan.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 8:33 pm

yeah it sounds like stimming to me
i used to bounce on a trampoline for hours when i was a kid. now i bike.
i urge you to consider the legal consequences of getting diagnosed though. i have had trouble with the law because of my diagnosis so getting diagnosed while reassuring is not always a good thing.

ragingbullfrog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2011, 8:39 pm

aspie48 wrote:
i have had trouble with the law because of my diagnosis so getting diagnosed while reassuring is not always a good thing.

Trouble with the law eh? If I may ask, in what way.

Also, as far as it is reasuring, I am a bit nervous. If I am not an aspie, then what the fudge IS wrong with me :-)

Georgia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2011, 8:49 pm

I agree that those sound like "stims." When I was a kid, I liked hopping on one foot with the other out straight in front of me. Then I'd spin in a circle at the same time. I got a rush from the centrifugal force that I created all by myself.

I don't think stims are a bad thing in and of themselves. If they are done in the appropriate environment (not always in front of the general public I mean), and don't hurt anyone else, why not?!

What I've noticed with the kids that I work with who are on the spectrum is that their stims are most intense and frequent when they are either very happy/content or over-stimulated and need a break. It actually clues us teachers in a bit more so that we can be more sensitive to the environment that we are creating in the classroom.

ragingbullfrog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2011, 8:59 pm

Georgia wrote:
I agree that those sound like "stims." When I was a kid, I liked hopping on one foot with the other out straight in front of me. Then I'd spin in a circle at the same time. I got a rush from the centrifugal force that I created all by myself.

I don't think stims are a bad thing in and of themselves. If they are done in the appropriate environment (not always in front of the general public I mean), and don't hurt anyone else, why not?!

What I've noticed with the kids that I work with who are on the spectrum is that their stims are most intense and frequent when they are either very happy/content or over-stimulated and need a break. It actually clues us teachers in a bit more so that we can be more sensitive to the environment that we are creating in the classroom.

I too loved spinning as a kid. Come to think of it, it may be to do the whole 'corner of your eye' thing. How did I ever slip through the net?

I tend to do little things when I am a little stressed. I tend to just shut off, but it was noted that I flap my arms. So maybe its to curb that deep down. My missus also notices that my foot bounces when I am frustrated. I thought every one did it. Obviously not eh? :-)

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 9:07 pm

i have had trouble with school quack doctors trying to send me to institutions because of my quirks. and my parents almost had to take them to court to prove that i had mild autism.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 11:36 pm

You don't necessarily have to stim to have AS, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. You can google the DSM IV criteria to see for yourself. In my situation, I have a Rubik's cube that is somewhat of a stimmy toy and I do sway my hips when I get bored and frustrated, but hand flapping and the like is not something I do. Keep in mind that everyone stims to an extent, even NTs. It's just more noticeable in the autistic community.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2011, 11:46 pm

i flap my hands sometimes, rock, play with my necklace, solve my rubik's cube, rub my face on soft things, rub my fingernails on my lips, that sort of thing... and a lot of visual ones too