Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 11:36 pm

I can carry a tune perfectly, but there's more to singing than that.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:44 am

I absolutely *HATE* singing and dancing. It causes me very high anxiety. I do sing in my car, quietly, to the music. Once in a blue moon, I'd sing to music that I like in front of someone close, like my brother or my ex girlfriend. You'd be one lucky person to ever hear me sing. :)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 12:46 am

I'm tone deaf. Aside from that, I have a good voice.

As far as dancing goes... I can do it but I'm clumsy. lol

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2011, 3:35 pm

Epiphany28 wrote:
Are you good at singing? And capable of carrying out a tune? Or not?

I can. My son is incredibly capable at a very young age.
(as for me, though, nobody knows I can sing because I'm too 'shy' to show it.)

Just curious what the consensus is. I would expect a lot of us can sing well, based on the way our brains work. But, maybe I'm wrong.

I wrote the lyrics and did the vocals for a song concerning VCU's success in the NCAA Mens' Basketball Tourney this year. It is titled "Rams Road to the Final Four".

Here is the link to that song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZJZeQ1XghQ.

I am the guy that is singing in the video. I received good feedback from other people on this song. Watch it and let me know what you think of it.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 3:52 pm

I never actually understand/hear the words of most/any songs, which is why people who know songs word for word are sort of odd to me...

Even a song I've heard a bunch of times, I just keep saying.. oh lord, oh lord, a mercedes bens, buy my some popcorn, and lend me a pen... (janis joplin). Singing comes out irrationally random but probably mediocre in tone.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

I absolutely love to sing!! !

I didn't take choir in school because I wanted sports/art more....but I have been in my church choir for 5 years.

I am a soprano, surprise, huh.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Jul 2011, 9:17 pm

I sound better in a group, because I tried out for a solo, and I only got it because no one else tried out. :lol:

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

I don't sing much but I can sing the correct pitch no problem as long as you give me the first pitch of the song.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

I have no idea if I sing well or not. I don't like being able to hear my own voice so the music is turned up really loud if I'm going to sing. A few people have told me that I have a nice voice, but I'm not sure if they were telling the truth or just being nice because they know how self-conscious I am about it. I like to sing when I'm alone in the car. I'm good at the singing portion of guitar hero/rockband type games, but I have no idea if that actually measures any type of singing skill.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 3:24 am

I love singing. I wouldn't say for a moment that I am the best or that I am a brilliant singer, but heck I enjoy it, and it makes me feel calm. It also calms my tics (from Tourettes) down. I mainly like singing songs from musicals and I was once told by a singing teacher that I could reach all the female vocal ranges (if I tried!). Here's a video of me singing one of my favourite songs:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CRUurVmlao&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Still need some practice :oops:

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 3:43 am

i'm a pretty proficient singer as well; i can hold a tone and also harmonize with a lead singer and/or guitar instinctivly and correctly.
also; i have an extreme range; my lowest tones by far exeeed the lowest of my housemates and friends; and my highest tone matches that of the women i know (i'm a man), though my 'preferred/natural' range is a tenor. i can also grunt and 'screemo' without hurting my voice; but i dont do that since i hate the sound of those.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 4:04 am

i can carry a tune in a bucket tied around my neck. i can play my CD player pretty well. seriously, i can whistle far better than i can sing, since an early age. my voice is too low-pitched to sing most popular melodies unless i sing them an octave down which sounds ludicrous. i like singing along with richard kiley, singing the song "the impossible dream" [from "man of la mancha"]- his singing register is closest to my own, as is that of guitarist extraordinaire ry cooder, whose music i also like to sing along with.

i also like to sing along with bryn terfel [superb welsh operatic baritone] when he sings songs like "a wandrin' star [from "paint your wagon"] and ezio pinza when he sings "some enchanted evening" [from "south pacific"]. i sometimes wish i had more of a high range so i could sing along with pavarotti when he sings "vesti la guibba" [from "i pagliacci"].

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:24 am

Yes I can sing quite well. I made it a special interest in 1967, and was putting out reasonably good stuff after about 10 years of working on it. Recording the results and listening to them was a very important part of the process, and I've never really stopped doing that since beginning in '67. My talent for mimickry made things a lot easier.....listening to records naturally led to my wanting to sing like those artists could. I was in rock bands in the 1970s and 1980s, and still perform in bands occasionally to this day, and often perform solo with an acoustic guitar - that's taught me a lot. Also I was doing Web music collaborations in the 2000s, and began to use a recording technique called "cycle-record" or "repeat-record" where you get the machines to play a short passage of the backing over and over while you do multiple takes, and then you pick the best one and paste it into your song....that allows very strong focus on any particular line that's proving difficult, and on the higher aspects of vocal quality - I looked upon it as cheating at first (because you end up with a vocal recording you couldn't do "live"), but I noticed that after recording it in that way, my live performances were a lot better, so I stopped seeing it as a case of technology at the expense of talent.

I never really understood why I was so into it, but it's proved invaluable as a social lubricant. People often come up and compliment me after a performance, and that gives me a constant stream of chances to make conversation with them, to open up opportunities for music collaboration and to make friends. It's great - we've got something to talk about, something to do together. So much easier and more interesting than trying to approach strangers at a party with random small-talk. I don't know how non-musical people manage to make friends at all. :?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:37 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I don't know how non-musical people manage to make friends at all. :?

talent of any kind makes life easier, in terms of making friends more easily, IMHO.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
I don't know how non-musical people manage to make friends at all. :?

talent of any kind makes life easier, in terms of making friends more easily, IMHO.

Exactly!

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:51 am

I think I can sing and I'm thinking about joining our local (non religious) choir after I return from holiday.

My 5yr old daughter has a lovely voice, also pretty strong for her age. She goes to Scottish Opera classes for little ones. The kids don't get actual singing lessons, they just learn songs and actions. I'm not a pushy Mum by any standards, but she loves it and is good at it, so I'm all for it. After trying loads of after school classes, where she refused to participate or crawled around like a dog, this has been the best thing I've enrolled her in.