Should I pursue an official diagnosis? [17 F]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lapislitoralis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2020, 6:35 pm

Hello,
I have recently come to the realization that I may be on the spectrum. However, I am uncertain as to whether or not pursuing a diagnosis would be worthwhile.
The main reason I would seek a diagnosis would be getting accomodations for college (I am currently a junior in high school). I have concerns about my ability to function in a less structured setting away from home, especially given my difficulties with executive function, and I worry about adjusting to life with a roommate. Generally, I feel that without sufficient support, it would be very easy for me to crash and burn in college.
That being said, I am not sure if I should pursue getting a diagnosis. As a child I showed many ASD traits, but these were ignored, probably due to me being female and verbal. Now, however, I am (relatively) skilled at masking; though they may remark on my social awkwardness and aloofness, no one around me has ever seemed to consider the possibility of autism/Asperger's.
Anyway, I seem to have gotten a bit off track.
I have two main questions:
1. What degree of impairment/difficulty is necessary for a diagnosis? What does that degree of impairment look like concretely? (I an aware that no difficulties= no diagnosis/disorder)
2. From what I have said (and I am happy to give more information on my situation), does it seem like I should try to get a diagnosis?
For the record, I'm in the US.

Thanks.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2020, 6:37 pm

If you feel like you would benefit from accommodations in college, then you should pursue a diagnosis.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2020, 6:51 pm

I am uncertain as to what the situation in the US is but here in the UK a formal diagnosis can help secure some additional support from the state and afford a certain level of protection from discrimination via mechanisms such as the Equalities Act.

There are a number of on line tests that you can do that will give an indication of whether a formal assessment process is likely to diagnose ASD/AS

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2020, 7:37 pm

Same with the US.

lapislitoralis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2020, 8:01 pm

Thanks for your responses.
I have taken several tests online and have crossed the threshold for autism consistently, so talking to a professional seems worthwhile.
I will talk to my parents about this and try to make plans to see a psychologist/psychiatrist.