Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Densha
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2011, 6:00 am

Last year, my mother cut out a newspaper article about asperger's being more probable when the mother has had multiple pregnancies in a short period.

My mother gave birth on February 1st 1979, but her baby died within 4 days. I was born ironically on February 1st 1980. I don't seem to have any close family with asperger's,

Any opinions?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:09 am

If that's true, then I'm an exception. My mom became pregnant with me when she was 28, and I was her first pregnancy. She didn't become pregnant again until about nine years later.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 7:10 am

my 2 oldest brothers were born 2 years apart. my sister was born 5 years later. i was born almost 4 years after my sister. my sister has only mild asperger traits, but my older brothers have it more strongly, and i have it [with cormorbids] MUCH more strongly, to a dysfunctional degree. so i am wondering if it gets worse with being last in birth order, especially with a mother undergoing tremendous stress at the time of conception?

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 7:26 am

I am an only child. Personally I think it may have a little to do with age of the mother (but that it's not the only factor), also genetics and other factors.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 7:54 am

my mother was almost 39 when she had me, i wonder if that had anything to do with it?

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 7:57 am

I was a second child, born 4 years after the first.

Trying to find causes of it appears to be difficult. I'm not sure if anything has been proven yet, maybe someone could point out to me if it has, but there may be more than one possible cause, multiple pregnancies in a short period perhaps one of them. This doesn't mean that if you were an only child or whatever, that the cause in question here is totally rubbish, just that there may be another cause in someone else's case. In my case, the only link I see plausable at the moment is a genetic link, as traits of it have been evident in previous generations.

MichaelDWhite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2011, 8:13 am

I think there's a general idea out there that difficult pregnancies can lead to AS. And pregnancies that are close together can be more difficult, I guess. In my case, I was one of twins and my mother was very sick both at the beginning and end of the pregnancy. The doctor who diagnosed me believes there's a connection between that and my AS.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:38 am

Considering what Asperger's is (sensory issues) this makes sense. So we have pregnancies close together, premature births, and births by older women. What do they all have in common? Hmmmmm...just expands my theory I have.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 9:02 am

Mindslave wrote:
Considering what Asperger's is (sensory issues) this makes sense. So we have pregnancies close together, premature births, and births by older women. What do they all have in common? Hmmmmm...just expands my theory I have.

what is your theory, por favor?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 9:40 am

Descartes wrote:
If that's true, then I'm an exception. My mom became pregnant with me when she was 28, and I was her first pregnancy. She didn't become pregnant again until about nine years later.

Same here. My mother had three children. Her first was my autistic brother. Her second, five years later, was nonautistic with a few traits here and there. I'm the third, and I came nine years after the second (14 years after the first). That's quite a distance, especially between the two of us who are autistic.

shaybugz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2011, 10:20 am

Mom had me when she was 22... and I'm her first child... so I guess I'm an exception too... hmm...

Read my writing here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/69040
Visit my website: http://www.shaynagier.com
Follow me on twitter: twitter.c

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:08 am

I'm a first child too.....

One theory I had is based on myself, my dad and my cousin; all of us are aspies, though I'm the only diagnosed (my cousin is misdiagnosed ADD). All of us were also born in varying degrees of "late." My dad and cousin were both born a week or so after their due dates; I, however, was born more than 3 weeks late (due mid to late October, born Nov 8).

My theory is being born later, or earlier, than predicted might have something to do with having AS/Autism.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:25 am

I thought being autistic was more common in oldest siblings.

I'm a first born and most of my siblings have a wide gap in age.

sleeny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2011, 11:44 am

My three sisters and I were born with only 5 years between the oldest and the youngest. I'm the third and the only autistic.

twinsmummy20
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2011, 12:05 pm

That is interesting. I had twins in september 2005, and October 1st 2006 had my son who is on the spectrum. I got pregnant with him when the twins were only 3 months old.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm

Well, they are looking at the testosterone connnection in utero. I'm doubtful of this theory but hormone levels are still wonky with close pregnancies, especially if mom is still breastfeeding.

I'm first born to a relatively young mom so :?: