Page 5 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

RavenShark
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2018, 7:54 pm

I find that I'm unintentionally funny --- I'll say things that I think are just casual responses or observations and people laugh. At times when I have tried to be funny, though, it often falls flat.

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2018, 9:41 pm

Phonic wrote:
I have an unusual sense of humor alot of NT's seem to appreciate, it's sort of deadpan/ironic derived from my unique way of looking at things and the absurd things people do and say that no one notices.

I don't think humor isn't there in ASD's just that it's often unusual.

Thats my humour described completely, sometimes people saw me laughing and thought I’m laughing at them but I’m not and it has caused some trouble in the past.
I just make sure I try to keep it to myself now.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 10:16 am

My sense of humor comes from taking things literally. I will hear/read something that sounds normal using common sense (or is just a mistake) and I will start laughing due to the absurd spotted.

For example recently I laughed at this:
Apparently the shop I was shopping in was giving out some travel bags for free (00,00zł), as it's "Birthday" promotion. At least that's what the sign said. The real price was 180zł.

Sometimes I will also find something funny and have a hard time explaining why. For example yestarday I heard a monologue of a woman in public restroom, while washing hands of a 1,5 year old girl:
- We did it! We did hold it in and pee properly! Thanks to the nice lady that let us in before her... Well... actually we kind of pushed in in front of her so it not like she had any choice.
At the moment I bursted in laughing. Imagining her running into the restroom stall with the girl in hands, pushing another woman away was just too much for me to keep a straight face. I still don't know why I found it so funny though - there was just "something" in the way she said it.

Pillar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2018, 11:50 am

I have a good sense of humor but that depends of the spectrum of the humor, and people's interests and types of humors, too.
I mean, I could joke about video games but when I meet people who love sports then I know there is no room for joking about video games

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 3:46 pm

Oh yes, I've been told that I have such novel ways of amusing myself (which in itself gets laughs).

Inventing new words, to silly puns seemingly pulled "out-of the blue," and yes, even a few useful suggestions might just be a common Asperger trait.

Has anybody been told that they sound like a modern-day Mark Twain?

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 7:51 pm

I usually have a very deadpan kind of humor which is mostly not understood by the majority of people, including my wife...

Sometimes they think i am joking when i am actually trying to be serious, and other times they feel offended even though i was clearly joking.

This is the only kind of humor that i personally enjoy and i really don't want to drift off into this low brow humor that so many people seem to love.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 5:01 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Oh yes, I've been told that I have such novel ways of amusing myself (which in itself gets laughs).

Inventing new words, to silly puns seemingly pulled "out-of the blue," and yes, even a few useful suggestions might just be a common Asperger trait.

An added dimension on discussion thread 'Aspie Humor' might be on what specific humorists are popular?

[Discussion on modern-day Mark Twains may best be treated as a separate post]

Has anybody been told that they sound like a modern-day Mark Twain?

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2018, 6:25 am

RavenShark wrote:
I find that I'm unintentionally funny --- I'll say things that I think are just casual responses or observations and people laugh. At times when I have tried to be funny, though, it often falls flat.

C’est moi!

mawilegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2018, 7:19 am

I definitely have a sense of humor. It is a bit bizarre, but I do. I find satire incredibly funny. I also tend to laugh at toilet humor (think what a 5th grade boy would laugh at, haha ;w;) and dark humor. For example; I find The Onion, Monty Python, and the show South Park very funny.

Level 2 ASD diagnosed

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 7:34 am

I can't very easily describe my sense of humor. It's essentially a variation of different styles of humor. Most of the time, though, it's either the dry or dark sort.

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jun 2018, 10:16 am

All I know is I absolutely hate generic humor, everything else is fair game.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 4:47 pm

The_Gimp wrote:
All I know is I absolutely hate generic humor, everything else is fair game.

I can relate

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2018, 10:46 am

I was the class clown for basically every single grade. So yea

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 7:20 pm

I've been told, that I was quite "taken" i.e., amused with TV humor examples from the 1970s: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, The Pink Panther Saturday morning Cartoon, and the several sitcoms of situations stemming from miscommunications brought laughs.

Other examples "off the top of my head" included humor stemming from irony, slapstick, and some versions of British humor.

------------------

I really enjoyed how All in the Family i.e., the Archie Bunker character so thoughtfully blended humor with controversial issues.

And yes, it was only the humor of 'Gilligan's Island' that made the series a favored source of laughs.

Many of the examples of shows were done in variety-show formats; the clips ranging from less than half-a-minute to a long few minutes in length. Of course, the sitcoms were done half-hour formats (counting the commercials).

---------------------

The later examples of humor came from the 1990s sitcom 'Home-Improvement' - the philosophical neighbor Wilson played such an awesome part to the series. The Al character, and Taylor family, friends, and relatives also played important roles. It was an ongoing joke in the series to treat the Tim character as a second rate character.

The more recent examples of humor came from shows involving characters living such dysfunctional, foolish, and risky lives to a point of being hilarious. The show 'Weeds' and HBO's 'Silicon Valley' are examples. With these shows, the first two to three seasons are the best. The later seasons proved disappointing in scope, let alone laughs.

----------------------

Can it be said that people on the Autism Spectrum are some of the biggest-fans of the decades-old favorites -- now available on DVDs, Youtube?

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 2:52 am

I love funny movies and TV shows.

But, overheard someone at work commenting today that I never laugh. I'm unsure what there is to laugh about and if he was ever trying to tell a joke and I didn't pick up on it.

I also don't get sarcasm when other people use it, I usually think they're serious.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 1:47 pm

A thread devoted to Aspergers sense of humor is important!

Both the decades-old, and recent examples of comedy can sometimes resonate with people on the spectrum - how many people have viewed DVDs, and YouTube clips of the older comedy shows - even after hearing that such examples are largely dated?

I wanted to mentioned two other examples that brought laughs:

* The Warner Brothers Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Daffy-Duck, etc. cartoons were both funny, and at times quite original.

* The 1970s PBS Series "The Electric Company" proved both clever, and educational.

It must be asked, "how many people feel that humor proved to be 'that salvation of sorts?'"