Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:05 pm

Im just curious if any of you guys also have them. And have you ever had a false awakening too? I have lucid dreams every night but have only had a false awakening once. I "woke up" because i had to pee. So i got out of bed and walked into my bathroom but noticed the curtains were different right before i started to pee. Then i immediately wake up for real and run to the bathroom since i almost just pee'd myself.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2010, 5:11 pm

I get them all the time but I think that is because I am left handed though.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:21 pm

I have lucid dreams as well. I often think, during a dream, "I'll have to remember to tell (person) about this tomorrow!" I can usually control the direction they go, but often don't. I think that dreams exist to help us look at issues in our lives that we are not addressing consciously, or simply cannot resolve with our conscious mind. Letting the unconscious run wild gives us an absurdist point of view that, if you think about it, can help solve the problem.

My father is left-handed and never even remembers his dreams. I'm honestly not sure what handedness would have to do with it. I'm also not sure if you are being facietous or sarcastic...I have enough trouble with that in real life, it's even worse online.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2010, 5:31 pm

I just assumed being left handed means you have different dreams. I didn't actually look it up.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:33 pm

Kind of normal for people taking SSRI's (paxil, etc.). Do you take anything like that?

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 5:35 pm

n4mwd wrote:
Kind of normal for people taking SSRI's (paxil, etc.). Do you take anything like that?

I was on lexapro but i have had lucid dreams since i was 7. I had a repetitive nightmare and just one night focused on myself going to sleep and kept that thought even in my sleep. So when i had the nightmare i just used my imagination to edit the bad parts out. My dad says he can also do it since he was a teen.

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2010, 6:11 pm

I have them but it is a rare and challenging hobby for me, not something that usually comes natural.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2010, 6:45 pm

Ooh, I have had dreams that felt SO real that I was literally angry at the person the next day. For several hours. I have also had "shared dreams" where one of my brothers showed up in the dream and was able to tell me about it the next day. Weird.

I am also left-handed. Might be an interesting research project...

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2010, 7:17 pm

When I saw this I was happy since I love dreams. I have lucid dreams, but I have to work for most of them. It's not that much work though so I'm fine with it. And I have false awakenings rarely.

Last edited by BriannaBee on 10 Sep 2010, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2010, 7:39 pm

I have dreams that an ex of mine once described as "over-normal" or "too normal", meaning I dream that I'm doing stuff I normally do or that things happen that feels completely real.

I once got really mad at my mom because she couldn't tell me where my mail was, but I clearly remembered her bringing the mail in and told me there was something for me.....

I also have what you call false awakenings, fitting term, btw..
Sometimes I'll hear my alarm going off, getting out of bed to turn it off, but for some reason I can't find it, so I go all over the house searching for it.

I once dreamed that I finally figured out the alarm was inside our fridge, but I had to pry the door open with my fingers, because the handle was suddenly missing, and then I finally stood there with my alarm clock in my hands, but the button to turn it off with was missing.... Then I woke up and got the damn thing turned off for real....

All of this can be really confusing at times, often I'm not really sured I dreamed something or if it really happened.. :)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 9:39 pm

I've had both, but only a few rare occasions. I can't remember any of them, but do remember one false awakening where I got up, drove to work, arrived, then woke up to the phone ringing.

You guessed it. Work calling to ask why I was late. Thank god they thought it was funny when I told them I thought I was already there!

Damned disconcerting that was. I prefer lucid dreams. It's pretty cool knowing you aren't awake and having all sorts of super human abilities. Scary monster? Poof! Cheerleader! That's pretty cool. :lol: I wish I would have more of them!

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 10:14 pm

MrXxx wrote:
I've had both, but only a few rare occasions. I can't remember any of them, but do remember one false awakening where I got up, drove to work, arrived, then woke up to the phone ringing.

You guessed it. Work calling to ask why I was late. Thank god they thought it was funny when I told them I thought I was already there!

Damned disconcerting that was. I prefer lucid dreams. It's pretty cool knowing you aren't awake and having all sorts of super human abilities. Scary monster? Poof! Cheerleader! That's pretty cool. :lol: I wish I would have more of them!

Yeah it's cool but it gets boring after a few years. You run out of things to do. I just let it go and when I find something I don't like I edit iit out

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2010, 10:29 pm

I've learned to control my dreams by force of will. As a child I use to have bad dreams and anxiety dreams. My parents only added to the stress of the dreams instead of helping. So after analyzing the bad and anxiety dreams I noticed a pattern, even as a child. The very basic pattern was that the actual images in the dreams were more or less nonsense and not at all scary outside of the dream. It was the feelings of fear and anxiety that made the dreams scary. So I sat down and through pure will power trained myself to change the dreams if they started to get scary or to anxious filled, I just realize that the images do not correspond with the feelings. Thus allowing me to gain control of the dream. I can either take the fear and anxiety away and let the dream go on, or I can completely change it. All while I'm asleep.

tonin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2010, 11:16 pm

I have lucid nightmares whenever I try to sleep. False awakenings at least once a week. Demons, rapes, murders, etc, common. Sometimes I force myself in the dream to scream louder hoping the pain in my throat will wake me. My night screams sometimes set off the dogs around town. Often I can still feel the knife cuts, burnings and beatings under my skin after I wake. I have post traumatic stress disorder too. One night, when sharing a cabin with a bunch of other girls, I arrested them at gun point in my sleep, no real gun of course. Totally freeked them out. Me too.

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 1:14 am

To the OP,

I hear you. I have a had a life of extremely lucid dreams, and some extremely terrifying. A lot of the dreams I had as a kid were premonitory, and I was often right, down to peoples names and features, times and events.

I would LOVE to sleep without dreams., as none of the dreams I seem to have rarely make me feel good.

Mics

nova2012
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2010, 1:21 am

*Knock on wood*, haven't lucid-dreamed much, maybe once or twice. I've had some pretty bad dreams, though. I think the one that takes the cake was when (embarrassed to even admit this...) I killed a woman randomly and was then trying to hide her body. For the next few days, I was convinced I was a serial killer and needed constant reassurance from my parents that I wasn't and that it was meaningless. I wonder what Freud would say... :lol:

For the most part, I tend to have pretty decent dreams, but I can never ascribe any sort of deeper/hidden meaning to them.