Do most autistics have very pale skin?

Page 7 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 9:21 am

I have pale skin and a lot of older people have put their arms against mine and said, ''look at my skin tone to yours.'' But I didn't think it was to do with having AS. I come from a family where most people are very fair-skinned, and none of them are even close to being on the spectrum. Also I've known young NT people who are fair-skinned to get fed up because they can't seem to get a tan no matter how much they sit in the sun.

On a documentary about Autistic kids (can't remember what it was called) there are two of three black children there with Autism.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 9:23 am

I'm olive.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 12:36 am

Our metro aspie support group has atleast three Blacks I can think of who arent pale skined. And some olive skinned caucasian people. Im a Wasp guy but I tan pretty quickly walking outdoors in the summer.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 11:14 am

I'm Asian, grew up in China as a kid, came over to start schooling. My grandparents started a business and my dad is an executive police officer. Our whole family is here now!

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 11:42 am

kittenfluffies wrote:
I'm the whitest white girl I know, but I am also of Irish/Scandinavian descent.

Aspies generally shun sunlight so I'm willing to bet that's why.

Yes, I think it has to have something to do with some aspies staying indoors and ancestry (as well as skin type).

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 11:43 am

im not pale, though not really tanned im just inbetween. i wear a lot of blusher which make the skin on my face look a little darker.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 2:49 pm

I am 1/4 Maltese and 3/4 English and am not pale. My brother has AS and we both have the same parents. He's very pale compared to me.

Daydreamer86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2013, 3:03 pm

I am very pale with blonde hair. Most of it for me is related to sensory issues. I can't stand heat-being in the sun for more than around 30 minutes makes me feel ill and lethargic. It affects my bowels too (sorry if that's too much information!) I burn very easily too even with Factor 30 and above sunscreen. My boyfriend always jokes that he'll never be able to take me to his home country (Uganda) as I would die from the heat! I really don't get how some people (mainly women, from what I've seen) can spend all day in the sun getting a tan. Even if I wanted to, I can't do more than half an hour!

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 3:51 pm

I don't think it has something to do with autism.

I have pale skin, but because I am slightly anemic.
My being anemic is not related to autism in any way.

It also depends on where you live.

If you live in northern Europe or North America, where most people have light skin colors, it is probable that most autistics in that area have light skin colors, as well.

In my state most people have a medium skin tone, therefore I supposed that most autistic people in my area have a medium skin tone.
My brother is autistic and he has a medium skin tone.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:17 pm

I was darker when I lived in Nashville than now in Seattle. In Nashville, I was outside most of the time because I was homeless. I was also skinnier in Nashville, too because the smell of the Cumberland River and the sewage plants in North Nashville sickened me often.

Seattle tends to have a cloudy overcast, and since I'm indoors most of the time, it only stands to reason I'd get lighter. There's been a lot of sun these days - perfect weather for the festivals, but since I don't go to those that's a moot point.

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2013, 4:41 pm

I have brown skin. As per the avatar. I am paler in the winter (about 9 months out of the year) than in the summer. *shrugs*

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 2:20 am

I have really pale skin with medium-dark brown hair as well as most Autistics I see as well.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 10:13 am

I am very fair-skinned.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 10:29 am

Im white british but my skin isnt pale but is not dark but as far as i know i have no black or halfcast relatives.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 10:34 am

Very pale skin here (and probably even more so since I am an indoors kind of person). I never tan, I get burned, I also can suffer sun eczema.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 10:46 am

I'm pale-skinned but so are most of my family. So I put it down to genes.