I found out my old classmate has aspergers!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:03 pm

He got facebook a few days ago and I saw on his profile that he said he has Aspergers Syndrome. I remember in grade 10 I sat beside him in science class and we did have some good conversations. I remember he had an IEP and for some reason he was allowed to randomly leave class and go to the resource room. And boy did he stim!! He was also really smart. I sent him a message about it. I'm not sure how he will respond. It shouldn't be too bad though considering he was willing to put it in his profile.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:09 pm

It's cool that you found out. Sometimes, I wonder if any of my old classmates have AS.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 10:12 pm

I honestly can't think of any classmate except for *maybe* one that has ASD. I would be surprised to discover if any of them do.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 11:23 pm

I think this one boy in my elementary school did. I knew there was something different about him the first day I saw him because he needed an aid with him at all times to help him with his school work. At first he appeared shy and then I saw he was different but other kids couldn't seem to see it and those who did, made fun of him.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2011, 11:55 pm

The thought ran across my mind about an old classmate. Fit enough of the 299.80 criteria like a glove.

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 12:27 am

A fellow college mate of mine had AS. He had excellent reading ability for his age when he was young, was in advanced classes, but was very quiet in college. He gave me a ride to school almost every day, and would blast his music in his car. He'd listen to "industrial" music. We were going to college for electronics. He was kind of obsessed with building electronic projects that would inflict mild pain on people, such as a camera flasher at one end of a tube. The unsuspecting victim would look in the tube and get blinded by him hitting the switch and snickering at the reaction of the victim. He also told me or someone that he knew a girl over the Internet that can code a virus which can cause a computer to burn up by using so much resources and spinning the hard drive fast. He was quite a strange fellow. His self esteem was very low in college and probably still very low to this day.

He had a web site and I remember reading at the time how he thought he had social anxiety disorder. After reading this it got the wheels turning for me, so then it made me realize I had social anxiety which prompted me to seek treatment after I got out of college. He still has a web site and I tried to contact him over facebook but he never replied. His self esteem was so low, frequently calling himself a loser on his web site. He mentions nothing about AS or ASD on his web site now. He helped me and he never even knew it, because he mentioned social anxiety disorder on his web site, and because of that it eventually led me to figure out I had AS.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 1:01 am

jc6chan wrote:
He got facebook a few days ago and I saw on his profile that he said he has Aspergers Syndrome. I remember in grade 10 I sat beside him in science class and we did have some good conversations. I remember he had an IEP and for some reason he was allowed to randomly leave class and go to the resource room. And boy did he stim!! He was also really smart. I sent him a message about it. I'm not sure how he will respond. It shouldn't be too bad though considering he was willing to put it in his profile.

I have on my profile I have been diagnosed with Aspergers just last year.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 7:52 am

I actually never saw him get bullied though, even in grade 9 (I expect people are more mature as their age approaches the university/college level). I did however, hear someone talk behind his back and make fun of his stimming. The person was like "I'm **person's name**", then he shakes his hand violently.

Chamber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2011, 9:35 am

Ever since I found about me, my friend from grade school keeps coming to mind. We were in the Gifted and Talented (GATE) program and did a lot of things together (hacked and broke the 1st computer that came to the school - an old White Apple - and then had our one and only fight over the blame). He stimed so much and I was so protective but curious over it. As I am going over these memory "long walks" he keeps coming back to me as someone that "knew" me. I stalked him on facebook and see he is there but what am I gonna say 25 years later??? I have never "friended" anyone, they "friend" me so I just don't know. I need the Aspie Guide to Facebook for Dummies.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2011, 11:23 am

Chamber wrote:
I have never "friended" anyone, they "friend" me so I just don't know. I need the Aspie Guide to Facebook for Dummies.

You don't need one. If they don't accept your friend request, then what kind of a friend is he/she? They probably don't like you anyway so there's no point in friending them.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:11 pm

I can't think of anyone who may have had AS in my classes. All of the kids, seemed extremely normal. Most of them were above average in NTness.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 8:15 pm

I really wouldn't be suprised if one or two old classmates had AS. It seems unlikely that I'll see them again though, online or otherwise.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 7:04 pm

One guy who went to the same elementary school and high school with me had AS, and I've only discovered it once I brought it up openly in the special ed class in grade 12 of high school (right before he left school). He was like a reincarnation of Mr. Bean, and I would have never thought that he had it because my mom gave me a list of symptoms of Asperger's to read where it said that people with Asperger's are often gifted at academics. This guy, however, struggled with academics. When I was in grade 6, I still remember sitting at a round table with him and some other classmates and he had difficulty with reading (read very slowly, clearly behind other classmates) while I am hyperlexic, with my reading skills always being ahead of my classmates. I thought he was just mentally challenged. Based on what I know of him from our brief relationship, he would probably never be interested in joining Facebook or going on here. He makes me feel like a freak with my interests. :roll:

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Daina
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2011, 9:44 pm

I'm pretty sure my best friend from middle school has aspergers, but she is undiagnosed. And so did a younger boy that I interacted with some. I enjoyed getting him to talk about his special interests because it meant that I didn't have to be talking but wouldn't be bothered because I wasn't interacting with other people. Plus his special interest was animals, and I love animals, so...

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 10:15 pm

That's kind of cool to find out. After I was diagnosed with AS I found out a bunch of classmates I had were also diagnosed with it. Most of them were in a gifted class and were considered smart nerds. Some people found some of them annoying. Another guy was considered really weird and had no friends because he would fart a lot during class and he thought he was really strong and acted tough but would cry after getting hit once. I wasn't friends with any of them.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 12:43 am

One of my classmates has AS too. I haven't told him about it though.