Would you consider this a good description of Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

eatingcereal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2011, 8:16 pm

This is one of the first thins that popped up on Google, from WikiAnswers:

"People with Asperger's Syndrome typically are very interested in specific subjects and like to learn lots of details about them. They can become obsessed with in obscure subjects and enjoy talking in great detail about them, taking them very seriously. People with ADHD are likely to have lots of interests and to be less obsessive about following through on them. Both can have issues with social situations, with the people with Asperger's syndrome being unaware that people find them boring and struggling to understand why others aren't fascinated by their subject, while the people with ADHD may not notice what's going on around them and may be socially inappropriate, but they understand it when it is pointed out to them.

Asperger's Syndrome can be misdiagnosed as ADHD because of similar symptoms. In addition, ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome can occur together.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_key_fact ... z1KUcecQ88
"

As someone who believes he may suffer from Asperger's, I have to disagree. I feel like although I'm not always socially aware, I try to be. I am very aware when people find me boring, and personally I don't have a subject of interest to the intensity described in the above description. My hearing is super sensitive and the slightest noise can make me completely lose track of a conversation, derailing it. Also, looking people in the eyes while conversating makes it difficult for me to think about what I want to say (and I can never find the right words in the heat of the moment!). Also, when I'm in social situations too long I totally burn out. My head starts to like..throb and I get really anxious and spacey. I'm just not liking this description (either that or I solely have super sever adhd at age 21..which I am very skeptical of)

Last edited by eatingcereal on 24 Apr 2011, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 8:26 pm

It's to simplistic a description, but it's not entirely inaccurate.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 11:13 pm

I don't like their explanation of social difficulties. I know when I'm not doing well, I don't expect everyone else to like what I'm talking about, I just don't know how to do any better. Their ADHD explanation sounds more like how I would describe Asperger's in the social aspect.