Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2014, 3:10 am

I have very large, physical meltdowns and I am very embarrassed by them. I lose all control once they start, I nearly always lose my voice to a degree afterwards because I yell and scream so much. I run myself into walls, I hit myself, I throw things including crockery and bins. Being in public isn't always enough of a deterrent and it's humiliating. I've been sectioned due to them, I've been restrained in hospital and I've lost count of how many times I've embarrassed both myself and everyone around me.

Onoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2014, 4:53 am

I'm sorry to hear your situation.

If your meltdowns are that bad are you getting any help from professionals? If you feel you can not talk to professionals a good place to start may be by calling The National Autistic Society: Telephone number: 080 800 4104.

I myself found that meditating daily really helped me feel like my melt downs where occuring less frequently. My meltdowns were 'bad' because they could occur at work but they were never at the same level yours sound.
I found it can help to try and forgive yourself for it because it isn't your fault.

I wish I could be of more help.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 5:53 am

I haven't had outbursts since I went on antidepressants, but before then I did feel embarrassed too because of the people next door. To them I am a friendly, normal young lady, and then when I used to have outbursts that involved screaming, swearing, shouting and slamming doors, they probably wondered what was going on. My mum thinks that they think it's her who has these outbursts because I only ever had them when she was in the house. But my dad's good friends with them so he's probably told them everything. :(

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2014, 6:56 am

My wife said the neighbors think I am abusing her, they think the yelling and banging noises is me screaming at and beating her. She said my meltdowns are embarrassing her.

Once she went out and talked to them during one, she said they were baffled and asked who I was fighting with then since it obviously wasn't her, and she told them no one. I guess now they just assume I am nuts lol.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 4:30 pm

I know how you feel. I get really embarrassed by my outbursts/meltdowns. However, I don't get physical or anything. It's still hard because people judge you all of the time. They don't understand what it's like to be in your shoes, and it can always make your life a lot worse. :/

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 5:00 pm

TheSperg wrote:
My wife said the neighbors think I am abusing her, they think the yelling and banging noises is me screaming at and beating her. She said my meltdowns are embarrassing her.

Once she went out and talked to them during one, she said they were baffled and asked who I was fighting with then since it obviously wasn't her, and she told them no one. I guess now they just assume I am nuts lol.

Do you have a strategy to deal with your meltdowns? Like isolating yourself in a your room or study for hour, for example, when you feel like you could have one, until it passes? I'm only asking because if I still suffered from the major meltdowns that I used to when I was a kid and teenager, which I don't anymore, then I honestly wouldn't want to be in a relationship with anyone.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 6:08 pm

I have gotten embarrassed by mine whenever I would have them in public. Mine is just shouting and screaming and crying or I can stim. At home I have slammed things and throw stuff on the floor that isn't breakable. Sometimes I feel embarrassed when I think I had one for no reason and all I had to do was stay calm. Lately I have been experiencing chest pains after keeping myself from having a meltdown because I don't like acting that way and I don't want to wake the kids up and my parents and then deal with my parents being mad at me for not being in control and disappointing them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.