Are NTs winning Wrong Planet's Popularity Contest?

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jul 2016, 1:14 am

Maybe NTs are winning the popularity contest. I've been here a long time, sorry if I just don't talk much because I'm really awkward and say the weirdest things when I don't know how to communicate with people so that's why I haven't really posted that much stuff. To me, the posts I have are enough. I'm not much of a talker I'm a super introvert and a former non verbal. I still have traits of that but it seems NTs just don't understand how can I talk and be a non-verbal. Easy, I just mimic sounds and words to make it seem like I'm talking but really I'm just making up things as I go along some of the time my words are spot on at response of what's is going on at the moment. So most of my somewhat talking is based on luck and randomness. That's why most of the time nobody knows what I am talking about. Those are the times where I just was not that lucky. I think personally I'm not winning anything, not a popularity contest, not friends, nothing. I'm just breathing and singing pretty much.

v78d6s4nf8234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2016, 3:44 am

Neurotypicals are good at psychological manipulation.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 3:44 pm

WP is a popular contest? I thought it was a support site.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 5:17 pm

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. So they say.

Its not really surprising that NT's would be popular on this site. Folks with normal social skills will, almost by definition, become more popular than the socially inept (even in a club of socially inept folks).

Except for one thing.

NTs WERE apparently "winning" the popularity contest" here five years ago. Not necessarily "ARE" in the present tense. Just realized that this thread got necro'd from five years ago.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
WP is a popular contest? I thought it was a support site.

Exactly!

I see no evidence of any so-called "popularity contest" on Wrong Planet. What I see is a bunch of people like me with autism discussing various issues. How would we measure someone's popularity, anyway? Number of replies? Number of quotes?

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 10:20 pm

The one eyed world quote made me smile.
Reminded me of my work with folks in recovery talking about clicks and popularity in 12 step groups.

Perhaps high school is the only real 8)
perpetual motion machine.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 3:20 am

There is no popularity contest here except in the minds of people who feel that folks don't like them enough and that they are being left out and its so unfair. That's why we can't have a like button or a reputation system here.

I suppose some people see some others posting a lot and taking part in conversations and interpret that as them being more liked and more popular and feel jealous and want to label it as unfair or whatever. Anything to put the blame somewhere else and not take responsibility for not being crowned prom queen when you never said more than hello.

Just because people reply to what you say doesn't mean they like you. Just because someone takes a lot of time and posts on lots of threads doesn't mean people want to actually hear from them. Just because someone is well known doesn't mean they are popular.

It's pretty funny when people complain about how horrible high school was because of popularity, or the lack thereof, and when they always talk about how silly social status and popularity is, and then they turn around and constantly scrutinize everyday life and every situation to look for any vestige of a popularity rating and then complain about how they aren't popular at all. If it's that stupid, why would you want it?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 3:56 am

Also some people confuse being well known with being popular, which is not the same thing at all. I was actually recently very surprised when I went to a site that was mentioned here on a thread about how somebody here is being bullied and harassed or something by folks on one of those sites where they talk s**t about us and saw that I was mentioned. I had no clue that folks other than the group here knew who I was. However, they didnt say anything bad about me, surprisingly. They just said that I was there in some thread and giving out good advice, and they said "as usual" which made me feel nice. That doesn't mean I'm popular though, but it just means I've typed enough s**t online that people recognize my user name and that some folks noticed that I'm better at solving other people's problems than I am at solving my own.

And I've seen, many times, people who claim to hate the idea of popularity or seeking social status are usually the first ones to bring up the notion that some kind of social ranking is afoot and that they aren't in the top ten or whatever. I've yet to see someone complain that they feel that popularity and social status is stupid and that they dislike the fact that they are popular or that people seem to like them more than they like others. I think the complaints about it usually boil down to some version of "Nobody likes me. It's not fair."

A majority of people don't like me. That's very fair, and they have every right to not like me. I don't care about it most of the time, but occasionally it bothers me when some people dislike me, or when some people dislike me for idiotic reasons when there are plenty of valid reasons to dislike me. People who say they don't care at all, ever, about people not liking them are most likely not being truthful and want to come across looking like some kind of Clint Eastwood of emotions, but it's just human nature to want to be liked somewhat, or respected or somehow or other sought after.

There are lots of threads with this kind of point at the root of them. Insecurity is a huge deal here on WP and like I said, it's why we can't have a like button or a reputation system like lots of other forums have. It would cause too many hurt feelings, fights, whinefests, people leaving, and even mental breakdowns in some cases. Sad, but true. I've asked for one for a while now, several times, as have others, and even asking for one can cause some folks to spin out into a tizzy over the idea of it, which you can probably find in the site suggestions thread if it goes back far enough on there. Some folks have an out and out horror of even contemplating the idea.

But no, there is no popularity contest here and people can always, ALWAYS, set up one in their minds and rank themselves wherever they want to on any given day depending on whether they are feeling good or bad.

Not for nothing.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jul 2016, 5:07 am

naturalplastic wrote:
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. So they say.

Its not really surprising that NT's would be popular on this site. Folks with normal social skills will, almost by definition, become more popular than the socially inept (even in a club of socially inept folks).

Except for one thing.

NTs WERE apparently "winning" the popularity contest" here five years ago. Not necessarily "ARE" in the present tense. Just realized that this thread got necro'd from five years ago.

They weren't really five years ago, swbluto just had a tendency to make odd observations that sometimes coincided with what was going on and sometimes didn't (which doesn't make him much different from other posters, except for the way he became increasingly provocative the longer he was on the forum).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 8:57 am

swbluto wrote:
... would you say NTs are winning the popularity contest on Wrong Planet? And, if so, why?
No.

There is no popularity contest on Wrong Planet. No contest = No contest winners (or losers)

:roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 8:59 am

drlaugh wrote:
... Reminded me of my work with folks in recovery talking about clicks and popularity in 12 step groups. ...
The word is "Clique", not "Click", and it's pronounced "Kleek".

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2016, 11:17 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
WP is a popular contest?

If you win, an aut-footman brings your certificate on a silver charger. You bend your knee to the Aut-King, and the Archsperger of Canterbury says a few sentences in Latin. It's really a lovely little ceremony. :P

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand