Are autistic traits connected to temperature?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 8:28 am

I wonder because over the previous couple of weeks I was more active and together than I usually am. I did more and felt happier, more content with life and generally less autistic.

The last few days have been back to my usual self. Lack of motivation, inactive, procrastinating and fed up miserable self. I feel really tired all the time and struggle just to be out of bed, let alone doing stuff like the previous weeks.

The only difference in enviroment that I can see is a big drop in temperature over the last couple of days. It snowed yesterday, whereas the week before I got sunburnt while out weeding the garden.

Anyone else notice a connection like this? It's due to warm up again at the weekend so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I may have made a breakthrough. I liked feeling the way I did the previous few weeks and would like that feeling back.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 8:32 am

I'm not sure if autistic traits are related to this too, but you might want to look into seasonal affective disorder. It might explain at least a few of your symptoms!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002499/

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 8:45 am

Isn't that related to levels of sunlight? It's just as sunny now as before, just much colder.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 8:50 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
Isn't that related to levels of sunlight? It's just as sunny now as before, just much colder.

I don't think they really know what causes it, specifically, just that light therapy might help some people.

Quote:
The cause of SAD is not known, but it is thought to be related to many factors, including:

* Ambient light
* Body temperature
* Hormone regulation

It could also be that you are just more sensitive to temperature than others are. Being highly sensitive to one's environment does seem to be related to autism.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 9:03 am

Interesting.

I've turned up the radiators to see if that helps. Husband will have a fit as the heating costs here are astronomical.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 9:12 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
Interesting.

I've turned up the radiators to see if that helps. Husband will have a fit as the heating costs here are astronomical.

Good luck with that! I hope you figure out what works for you (minus a really high heating bill). :D

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 9:20 am

I am sensitive to temperature, but I attribute that to my general sensory sensitivity. I'm very lethargic in hot weather more than cold myself. But the only thing that's different is energy levels. None of the speech stuff, etc. changes.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2011, 10:32 am

I grew up in Eugene, Oregon where the sun is an infrequent visitor but then moved to Los Angeles and later Arizona. I swear by the warmer weather and lack of rain... I am much happier in the sunny climate and will often step outdoors in August here in Phoenix just to get a heat fix.