Is it possible to learn to read some social cues?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Supernova008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2011, 5:19 am

I am not a diagnosed Aspie, but I suspect that I might have it. Anyway, as I research the topic, I notice that a lot of emphasis is put on how an Aspie behaved in his childhood. Thinking back, I remember a few times when I talked and there must have been social cues that I was not supposed to talk, or someone gave me the "Not Now Look". Nowadays, I am pretty sure that I recognize that look, and I don't talk to people when they give cues that they are bored. In fact, I am often over-sensitive to such cues because I think that in the past I bored people, so now I am attentively looking for any such cues. However, is it possible for Aspies to learn to pick up these cues, or does that definitely disqualify me as an Aspie?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 5:47 am

I'm 22 and I've learnt over the years to read a few more obvious social cues. I don't think it is impossible to learn to read social cues, it is just more difficult when you are on the spectrum. Besides, in order to qualify for a diagnosis of AS, you only need to have a certain amount of the things listed, not all of them. If you can read social cues, yet you tick all the other boxes for AS then it is likely that you have AS but have learnt social cues.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:36 am

Of course it's possible, it's just difficult sometimes.
The diagnoses of the ones who do know social cues shouldn't be questioned because, in my case, I was very socially inappropiate when suspicions were raised, though not so much now.

Daredevil-Aspie

15 May 2011, 8:05 am

It's beyond possible. Never let anyone, especially well meaning NT's, ever imply that you'll always be socially clueless and helpless. With enough practice you can learn to socialize like any other human.

NewShinyCD
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2011, 10:08 am

Sure it's possible. Anime and working as a tech support phone rep have helped a lot. Although, I still don't know how to really react when people are angry or when they get excited.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:40 am

I learned, so it's possible.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:41 am

It's kind of like learning a foreign language.
Just takes some time.
Then after you learn and you look back on situations from when you were younger, you know what was meant. Again like a language.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 12:46 pm

Yes it is. But sadly things can mean different things in every situation so it makes it confusing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 12:54 pm

I've learned to listen to the tones of peoples voices. I also try to read their facial expressions.