Why Non-Aspies do not understand Aspies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2011, 6:41 am

Non-Aspies and Aspies think differently. Non-Aspies regard Aspies as: shy, quiet, odd, weird, eccentric, rude and self centred. (Very negative views held by Non-Aspies towards Aspies).

There are people out there who do not understand us and want to attempt to cure us. Why should we change and adapt to non-Aspies lifestyle? Non-Aspies should accept us for our differences and not discriminate against us. The Non-Aspies should be thanking us for making positive contributions instead of discriminating against us. It should be regarded as a hate crime to discriminate against Aspies.

Aspies are a downtrodden minority group that need empowerment. Having Aspergers gives us extra special powers and the ability to concentrate and focus on interests that interest us. It does not matter if we interact with other people or not. If it was not for Aspies, humans would still be living in caves. Most Aspies are proud to be Aspies.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 7:25 am

I know I am proud even though I have been ridiculed and taken advantage of over the years.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 7:57 am

Because the thing that's missing for aspies is so deeply fundamental for NTs, it's not really possible for them to conceive of its lack. Therefore, aspergers is equivalent to stupidity and all that's required for its cure is pointing out to us enough times the things that we're missing.

For aspies, of course, the existence of the missing capability is impossible to imagine.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 9:18 am

My best friend doesn't have ASD and she gets it... don't generalize!

TB
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 9:39 am

Some people eventually get how aspies think after years of knowing one, most people though they never get it even after a lifetime. My mom/dad/brother/friends etc. This thing comes to mind where fish dont know what you are talking about when you ask about water. A forest for example looks different when you are in the middle standing between the trees, i imagine myself looking from a distance. So i know what the forest looks like from the outside. NTs will never know but neither will i feel what it is like to be amongst the trees. (i like to make weird posts).

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 10:37 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Why should we change and adapt to non-Aspies lifestyle?

Well, I think some degree of adaptation is imperative to get anywhere in this world, but you are right. We shouldn't need to adapt fully to their social norms and lifestyles because we are what we are and for many that would decimate their personality, it certainly would mine.
Quote:
The Non-Aspies should be thanking us for making positive contributions instead of discriminating against us.

Not all do. But I take your point. If you think discrimination is an issue, why don't you strive to do something about it?
I don't think NTs should necessarily be thanking us, but the ones who don't treat us as equals need to rethink their views.
Quote:
If it was not for Aspies, humans would still be living in caves. Most Aspies are proud to be Aspies.

I appreciate your positivity but I don't think either of those are true. Without Aspies, it would probably take slightly longer to advance in technology, but it would happen. I've seen many people on this forum who are not proud to have AS. Personally, having AS has been both a positive and negative experience for me.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 1:11 pm

I had tried to adapt to neurotipical life for 30 + years but in the end I developed severe anxiety w/ panic attacks that led to other physical health problems.
Now, I'm 36 and I don't care at all about non-aspies, it's my life, my health, my sanity. They can try to make me normal but I know who I am and I feel sorry for the ones that don't understand.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 1:17 pm

[quote="I don't think NTs should necessarily be thanking us, but the ones who don't treat us as equals need to rethink their views.
quote]

I see your point.
I don't know about you but I don't feel equal. I've always known that I was different and let's face it, higher IQ. All I demand is respect. We are different.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 6:15 pm

As far as technology goes, it takes neurotypicals decades to accept major advancements in technology and they usually will only accept the technology when it becomes socially acceptable to do so. I can give you example after example of technology that is ruthlessly suppressed.

Moopants
Raven
Raven

07 May 2011, 6:20 pm

Well why do aspies not understand NT's?
It's just the same in reverse. Neither right or wrong - just different.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 6:31 pm

I just can't understand how it takes decades for neurotypicals to accept advances in technology. However neurotypicals can't understand if something was good enough for my grandfather why isn't it good enough for me ?

alane
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2011, 7:30 pm

Because sometimes we love you and you can't return it, so we get hurt. You are VERY lovable, after all.

Noob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2011, 7:41 pm

Am I wrong to say that NTs communicate nonverbally? Feel more than think, have a wider range of emotions and live their lives dependent on those emotions?

It's difficult to explain to NTs that just because I lack facial expression and body language, and don't express myself in the same way they do, it doesn't mean I don't have feelings.

I mean, I don't make eye contact in the same way they do, it doesn't mean I am an idiot.

And just because of all these things, some think they can manipulate me.

There are nice NTs, I just have to find them...

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 7:42 pm

I don't understand them, so I don't expect them to understand me. But I tolerate them and expect them to tolerate me.

In other words, everyone is different. We just need to tolerate the differences. And rule with an iron fist, just like Sargon. :twisted:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 8:47 pm

I think that most people, I'm not going to say NTs don't understand us, because they're afraid of people who are different from themselves.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

07 May 2011, 10:36 pm

They're afraid of those who are different, because if you're different, then you're unpredictable and if you're unpredictable, you could be dangerous. It's the same rationale behind the "fear of the unknown" principle - the unknown could be dangerous (Of course, many people don't consciously think of the person as "dangerous", just merely "weird", but there's the same underlying reason even though they may not consciously recognize it.). And, nonverbal and tonal communication underlies 90% of all interpersonal communication according to popular estimates, so if you're lacking that or are greatly impaired in that, you're practically mute (Socially speaking.).