Page 13 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 6:40 am

As a woman, I can only have a dna test:

60% scandinavian - lots of norwegian and swedish relatives, it turns out...
30% north & western european - some french and swiss huguenots some generations ago
10 % eastern european - where ever that comes from... maybe 2. great grandfather?

(There are some russians, east preussians from the 1800s .... and a polish king back in eraly renaissance 8O ).
Denmark is so small, that we probably all have connections to nobility at some point.

I suggested, that my first cousin and I could share the results of a sample from him (the male y-chomosome) and follow our familys patri-linear history. That could be fun.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 1:21 pm

Jensen wrote:
Denmark is so small, that we probably all have connections to nobility at some point.

My late father told me as a child that our bloodline was connected with the Danish royal family in the mid evil ages. My forefathers were basically cousins of the kings and were in charge of the king’s guards. I wished I knew more but most of our family’s history has been lost to time as it was not passed down well between the generations.

I do know that I am at least 1/4th Danish, as my grandmother from my father’s side was full blooded Danish. I never got to meet her as she passed on a year before I was born. My grandfather from that side was Danish/Scottish.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 2:01 pm

Then it is probably through Margrethe 1st of Denmark and Norway from the late 1300s. Her son became king of Scotland: James IV....but your relation seems to be a lot closer to our time.
I´ve learned a lot through Geni (basic).
Great fun to play with:
"Thorfinn 'Skull-Splitter', Jarl of Orkney is Mette Holm's 31st great grandfather!" :D
-only to be shared with 1,5 billion others :D :D :D

Back to serious business!
If you have some danish names and localities, I might be able to help. We have some VERY efficiant people here.
You could pb your own name and those of your familys´, if you have some.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 12:40 pm

Afro-Americans, Latin-Americans, Asian-American, and a few who survived the genocide are calles Native-Americans. Al these terms are widely and often used.
But what shoud be the reason that the term "Euro-Americans" are not, or at least very seldom used :?:

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 1:22 pm

Irish and German with a very distant Swiss connection on my dad’s side.

My mom was born in Germany, and my late Oma was German, but I found out recently that the man I thought was my maternal grandfather wasn’t. My Oma worked for the chaplain’s office for the U.S. Army, so my maternal grandfather was probably an American GI. Supposedly there are also French and Italian connections too.

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 9:15 pm

Erewhon wrote:
Afro-Americans, Latin-Americans, Asian-American, and a few who survived the genocide are called Native-Americans. Al these terms are widely and often used.
But what should be the reason that the term "Euro-Americans" are not, or at least very seldom used :?:

we are ALL Americans regardless of ancestry. that should be stressed. :idea:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 3:20 am

Erewhon wrote:
But what shoud be the reason that the term "Euro-Americans" are not, or at least very seldom used :?:

Because the rulers know who they are...

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Apr 2019, 7:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
Erewhon wrote:
Afro-Americans, Latin-Americans, Asian-American, and a few who survived the genocide are called Native-Americans. Al these terms are widely and often used.
But what should be the reason that the term "Euro-Americans" are not, or at least very seldom used :?:

we are ALL Americans regardless of ancestry. that should be stressed. :idea:

Except Anglo-Canadians and Franco-Canadians.

DeFyYing
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2019, 10:54 am

1/2 Colombian, 1/2 Chinese

Dx: Bipolar 1 w/ psychotic fx
Social Anxiety Disorder
OCD
Body Dysmorphic Disorder

ToWhomItMayConcern
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2019, 5:42 pm

I am black and korean. Dad black mom is Korean.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2019, 3:01 pm

I saw some research that suggested ASD is related to duplicated sequences that encode the Olduvai protein domain family. It was also making links regarding schizophrenia and this genetic sequencing.

Source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... xLJ9HLQMIw

If the research is leading towards a valid discovery, then it would suggest that ASD is basically innate to being Homo Sapiens in the sense that a percentage of all human populations will see the emergence of these traits because the genetic sequences being referred to are hypothesized as highly significant to the development of contemporary human cognition. In other words, if the research is correct, all humans carry the genes necessary for ASD to emerge within populations.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 3:39 pm

^ Fascinating link - thankyou! :D

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 10:08 pm

Was adopted no clue

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 10:40 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Was adopted no clue

have you thought about getting a DNA test to find out your ancestry?

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2019, 11:06 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
^ Fascinating link - thankyou! :D

You're quite welcome!

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

jordanalmokdad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2019, 11:13 pm

50% Lebanese, 50% English