Page 17 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 3:28 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:
Even 100 percent English isnt really racially pure. You go to remember countries like England were basically influenced by the countries that surround it. So a lot of French, Low Countries, German, and Scaninavian are in the English gene pool.

Yes, that was my general feeling, that early English history is full of tales of being invaded. So I don't quite know what they mean when they say I'm 99% (or so) English. I can't believe my ancestors just sat there in a hermetically-sealed Lancashire village throughout the millennia. Nor does England seem a likely place for the cradle of humanity. I thought humans arrived in England via the land bridge that is now the English Channel, which would make us all French at least, and probably something much further removed than that.

The way I define ancestry would be the nationality and cultural group that your ancestors belonged to rather than any ethnicity or race. There really isn't such a thing as an English race that is distinct from a French or German race since there has been a lot of intermixing throughout Europe history and just one person is enough to alter the DNA of a country significantly. It seems like you could fit in into any part of Europe you wish for the most part if you immigrate and assimilate to the culture because your look wouldn't tell you apart the way that someone from let's say Egypt immigrated to the Congo would.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 10:28 am

^
Yes. I asked around, and it seems the ancestry results (English, German, or whatever) refer to something rather more recent than what I'd thought.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:42 am

Charles Darwin shows me my ancestry, a very long time line from millions and millions years before now.
Another genius from the UK, Stephan Hawking goes much more deeper in time to show my ancestry to.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 12:45 am

I'm descended from a long line of increasingly specialized apes. Unfortunately they'd be disappointed to see how I've turned out.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

traven
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 2:09 am

dutch isn't in ancestry, so ?
aspergers probably?
i see it on both sides
when we kids were young, an auntie exclaimed, oh you can see they're all (XYZ)s by their big cow eyes
(not that a reliable source, bc it was one of the unmarried aunties, who at a high age always were obsessed with imaginary rapists in every corner)

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 2:19 am

traven wrote:
dutch isn't in ancestry, so ?
aspergers probably?
i see it on both sides
when we kids were young, an auntie exclaimed, oh you can see they're all (XYZ)s by their big cow eyes
(not that a reliable source, bc it was one of the unmarried aunties, who at a high age always were obsessed with imaginary rapists in every corner)

Bedankt voor de leuke foto Traven :)

In my view nationality and religion is not part of naturalism-identity, its 100% nurture, not nature.
Therefore i dont see myself as dutch or dutchman, im only human, made of stardust.
When other people see it different i dont mind.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2021, 5:00 pm

I never had my DNA done, but I've got mostly British Isles/Saxon/etc according to family history. My mom's side arrived during the colonial period, and most of my dad's side arrived after the Irish potato famine.

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 May 2021, 10:06 pm

Half Ulter-Scot, half Greek. From casual observation, the Ulster-Scot side of my family is replete with spectrumy people.

simonthesly74
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2021, 9:11 am

My dad is mostly of Dutch descent I think. My mom is half Dutch and half Montenegrin.

Apparently a DNA test revealed that their ancestry was more complicated with them both also possessing DNA originating in other parts of Europe. I don’t remember all this in detail and won’t bother to ask for the sake of this post, but one thing I do remember is that my mom apparently has traces of Turkish DNA.