Page 15 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2019, 8:57 am

Mother side: mutts, Irish/Italian/German
Fathers side: Entirely english. His side came to New England in 1632 from Suffolk and Essex, and those families married into each other like all brahman New England families did, up until my father. Even my paternal grandparents were distant cousins.

A Nat Geo DNA test puts me as genetically mostly German. Anyone else here from Essex/East Anglia genetically German?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 9:00 am

Roger Federer has African descent. His mother is South African of Dutch and French ancestry.

Ash Barty is indigenous Australian, as is Evonne Goulagong.

Nydcat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jun 2019, 9:10 am

25% irish
75% french

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 9:36 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Anyone done a 23andme type thing?

They interest me but I wonder if they are vague enough to just be a con

I did. It told me I'm Polish/Ukrainian/German.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 12:21 pm

Mostly British and German/French

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 8:58 am

Russian and Polish (Jewish).

Russian great -grandma fled a pogrom in the 1890's when my great-grandpa was tied to a horse and dragged around until he was dead. Her eldest son Avrum found his way to the US and worked to send the boat fare to his mum and 12 siblings.
The captsin of the ship took advantage of their naivety and dropped them off in Hull, England. This way he received double payment on the last leg of the journey to the US. They thought they were in Ellis Island NY. Because they only spoke Yiddish it was several days till they realised they would not meet Avrum again and had nowhere to go.
They were sent to Leeds and all worked in the textile Industry in Yorkshire. Most of the settling of jews in the North of England and Glasgow happened because the captain told them it was NY. They all wanted to go to America.

My Polish relatives also came in the 1890's also because of pogroms. Luckily my great-grandpa came but his entire family in Poland were wiped out in the holocaust. They settled in Leeds and worked as pressers and tailors in the clothing industry. I now live in Israel but I love Yorkshire and Yorkshire folk.

Last edited by Teach51 on 11 Jun 2019, 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 9:03 am

Russian Jewish (from the Pale area) on my mother's side. My great grandfather came to America first, then sent for his family. My grandmother was 6 years old when she arrived on a boat from Lithuania to New York.

Dutch/English/German Catholic on my father's side.

The Pale area is where the Russian Tsars "permitted" the Jews to settle.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 11 Jun 2019, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 9:24 am

Cornish! (or 'Kernowek' as they say down there)

Only around 5000 people left who speak the language. here is someone speaking it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaAyI-uI30

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 9:28 am

Do you speak Cornish?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 9:50 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Cornish! (or 'Kernowek' as they say down there)

Only around 5000 people left who speak the language. here is someone speaking it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaAyI-uI30

I love cornish pasties! I have been to Cornwall it is beautiful.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 10:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you speak Cornish?

Aside from 5 or 6 words no. here are some phrases if you want to give them a go https://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/cornish.php

My Uncle runs some history association down there and one of my relatives runs the Cornish Association for Western Australia and has been on national radio in Oz talking about it.

My granddads brother was killed in the Levant Mining Disaster. https://www.miningmagazine.com/mining-the-past/news/1263903/disaster-levant
I have been down there to look around as it is now just open for tourism. When I went down there there tour guide reacted like I was a celeb telling them that I was related to one of the people who died there and that my Granddad worked there in the wet room 8) :lol:

sadly I am not actually Cornish though, I was born in the Home Counties. Which has done better for my career as, beautiful as Cornwall is, nothing much happens down there!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 11:16 am

JimSpark wrote:
Erewhon wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
English(mostly Lancastrian), Irish, distant Italian and French and possibly African.

Don't we all start with African?

Very correct Claradoon :) :!: Africa is the place where the human race is started.

Africa is the place where the aliens landed long, long ago :alien:

The ancesters from my ancesters where also a kind of Alien's Jimspark :wink: . Below you see a photo from the ancesters from my ancerters. My Alien's didnt landed on earth, my Alien's did come out of the earth. That ancester did not understand words, they could not even hear i suppose. But iff the could they shoud listen when you speak the word Amoeba
https://www.livescience.com/54281-amoeb ... ition.html

Because Nationalism & Religion have a bad influence on the planet i prefer to see my ancestry in a biological way.

When you look at the detail you can see 2 eyes, a nose and a mouth :mrgreen:

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 5:53 am

A wonderfull quote of our real ancestry through the eyes of a naturalist scientist.
A quote as a good medicine for nationalism and religious violence.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 7:32 am

The best guide to ancestry? Not the ethnicity tools . Those are good at the continent level , but not so much at the subcontinental or regional level . Global 25/G25 is probably better than what's done by the big companies http://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2019/07/g ... 25_12.html

The best guide , if you have signed up to any of the sites like 23andMe,Ancestry DNA,Family tree DNA or My heritage , is your cousin matches .

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 9:53 am

firemonkey wrote:
The best guide to ancestry? Not the ethnicity tools . Those are good at the continent level , but not so much at the subcontinental or regional level . Global 25/G25 is probably better than what's done by the big companies http://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2019/07/g ... 25_12.html

The best guide , if you have signed up to any of the sites like 23andMe,Ancestry DNA,Family tree DNA or My heritage , is your cousin matches .

Last names and borders also do a poor job of determining ancestry. Not every John Smith has English ancestry and the ones that do have English ancestry tend to have other European ancestries along with it. For borders people have been moving in and out of them since the beginning of time and conquest and war basically shapes nations.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 10:00 am

I am actually mostly of British Isles, French, German, and Italian ancestry.

I know a couple years back I was saying I was mostly of French-Canadian ancestry, that was because I went off my last name and was what you would call Quebecoiscentric. I actually did some even deeper research and this actually wasn't the case and I am actually mostly of British Isles ancestry. Don't get me wrong I still have a good amount of French Canadian ancestry. But more of my ancestry is British Isles and my French ancestors came from regions of France not too far from the British Isles either.