Which do you spend more time on?
managing your symptoms of autism 100%  100%  [ 14 ]
worrying about whether people believe you are autistic 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:17 am

Are you wondering whether you have autism?

Here's another online questionnaire for you to take.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:37 am

One of the fairly long list of things that makes me feel like an outsider even on an autism forum is seeing all these posts about being worried about or actually having people not believe that someone has an ASD, never once have I had my diagnosis questioned and only once (that I recall, anyway) have I ever gotten the “You must be mild” comment.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:56 am

I spent more time trying to manage myself; thoughts, emotions, actions, etc.
Things that are not meant to be consciously processed by the human mind -- alone or not, autism related or not -- than managing interactions at all because I was too busy trying to manage myself to enable managing interactions at all. Instead it's this multitasking manual like apparently incomprehensible to any NTs so far.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 4:54 pm

Managing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 7:26 pm

0=0

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 1:28 am

Managing my symptoms is much more useful to me than wondering what other people believe about it. Mostly I don't even tell them, so there's not a lot to wonder about what they believe. Even at work where I pretty much had to tell the employer (so he wouldn't feel so free to push me into "Aspie-unfriendly" roles), whether or not he believed me wasn't that important - he had a politically-correct nondiscrimination policy to live up to and I had an official diagnosis, so the only thing I worried about was whether or not he would feel confident enough to ignore my diagnosis. And even if he had personally believed me, it didn't necessarily follow that he wouldn't try to ignore the DX if he thought he'd get away with it. I always presumed that my well-being was less important to him than his own, and particularly his profit.

Managing my symptoms is a way of life for me. I tend to call it "comfort management," though that's too positive a term for it - discomfort limitation would be more accurate. It was always second-nature to me to do what I can to minimise the problems the disorder gives me, just as it's natural to treat any illness or try to solve or mitigate any problem that threatens my well-being. In a sense, everything I do is an attempt to keep myself content. Practically all the projects I get immersed in involve me focussing strongly on interesting tasks to take my mind off the physical discomfort that soon gets my attention if I have nothing to do. With those projects I seek to kill 2 birds with 1 stone - distracting myself from discomfort, and achieving an excellent and useful result I can feel proud of.