Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 10:51 am

If I can't get something done in a day forget it.

So I never make any progress.

Which leads to greater depression and anxiety.

Which makes me even more frantic to get something done immediately.

Over and over.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:18 am

So be patient, just relax - Rome wasn't build in a day you know.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:20 am

Wallourdes wrote:
So be patient, just relax - Rome wasn't build in a day you know.

I'm sure if it were that easy it wouldn't be a problem for him. :P I have a similar problem with that.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:24 am

:D Thanks dunbots for understanding. And Wallourdes too, what you say is true, Rome wasn't, but I can't will myself to relax.

Oh and I'm a girl. :D I'm flattered you can't tell my gender though. Not a valid reason to be flattered but I just love it when people can't tell!

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:33 am

purchase wrote:
Oh and I'm a girl. :D I'm flattered you can't tell my gender though. Not a valid reason to be flattered but I just love it when people can't tell!

Oops, sorry. :lol: :oops: Your avatar seemed masculine-y to me. :P

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:45 am

You could take something for that or just sport 'til exhaustion so you get drugged by your own body.

Maybe some Fukitol :wink:

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:51 am

I take anti-anxiety medicine when I need it and I do exercise. I will invesrigate this Fukitol. :D

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:07 pm

Can you try stretching your patience by for example undertaking that you know you could achieve in two days, then something with a larger payback over a slightly longer period and so on. Part of the problem may be lack of visualisation of the end result of worthwhile things to strive for.

Personally I've got a whole range of projects of one sort or another always on the go - some I've literally undertaken knowing they would take several years to accomplish but the day finally arrives when the task / goal is reached.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:32 pm

I used to be able to visualize and patiently chip at something bit by bit! That used to be my modus operandi 80% of the time! But I've completely lost the ability!

You're right though TallyMan, that is the way to go about things! I'll tryto see how I can do that again!

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

09 May 2011, 4:55 pm

Most tasks feel the same way to me, with a few exceptions. If I can't do what needs to be done within a couple of hours, I quit doing it, figuring that it's because I'm going too slow. Not even my special interests can sustain me for more than a couple of hours at a time. When I want to learn everything there is to learn about something, I want to know about it now.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 6:24 pm

I can so relate. I just went through this today. We need to get me on the health insurance and we decided to do it through Keizer since it's cheaper and I had no patience for it. It was going to take too long because it was asking for information on my past things I answered yes to. I said "Oh for god's sakes" and left it and didn't want to do it because I was stressed and didn't want to disrupt my routine and doing it would have put me into a meltdown. So I was bitchy about it because my husband had to do it NOW to get it done and it took him like an hour or so to do it and it would have taken that much of my time before work. So he had to do it for me and I felt stressed out so I was ignoring my baby. Even being flexible was making me stressed out and then that big thing did it more so I left it. I just do not have patience for these sort of things when it involves filling out forms or online ones. I also find them very difficult and do not have the patience for it. I need to do it when I have tons of time and when I plan it in. I can't think of any others.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

09 May 2011, 7:32 pm

This sounds similar to Perfectionism, in concept -- if you can't get it done completely to just the way that you like it (I.e., within a day), screw it!

This makes me a bit curious if you show perfectionistic tendencies in other areas of your life. I suspect you might be gifted, and perfectionism is a common trait in gifted females.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 9:01 pm

purchase wrote:
I take anti-anxiety medicine when I need it and I do exercise. I will invesrigate this Fukitol. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqLH2uUFKbc&feature=related[/youtube]

maybe little unappropriate oO

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 9:14 pm

purchase wrote:
:D Thanks dunbots for understanding. And Wallourdes too, what you say is true, Rome wasn't, but I can't will myself to relax.

I remember in another topic, you talked about having taken a Tai Chi Chuan class. Did they teach you how to focus your internal energy? I find it's beneficial to me when I am stressed.

72sprint
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2011, 11:36 pm

I get that too. What I found helps is to break a big task into smaller tasks, that can all be completed in a day, or an hour, or however long you want to focus on it.

It's like eating an elephant-one bite at a time.