Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2011
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 210

10 May 2011, 2:19 am

Has anyone been part of GRASP (http://www.grasp.org)? If so what was your experience?



myowngeeksqwad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 18
Location: Joplin, Mo

16 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

I am part of my local group. It has been interesting to see the diversity among our members. The struggles one are not always the struggles of another. It really shows how broad the spectrum of autism is. I am a regular to the meetings but haven't spent much time with group members outside of the meeting. Not for lack of trying. It seems that getting aspies to socialize is like pulling teeth.



mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 469

16 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

My areas GRASP was more of a PR thing/For the autisum of colorado. more for show then help.


_________________
Who says I only have one mind?


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,995
Location: Stendec

16 Jul 2011, 1:17 pm

No branches in my area (Los Angeles). The nearest one is 150 miles away (San Diego).


_________________
"I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis."
-- Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,419
Location: Western New York

16 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

myowngeeksqwad wrote:
It seems that getting aspies to socialize is like pulling teeth.


You could get an aspie to pull their own teeth easier than getting them to socialize.


_________________
When God made me He didn't use a mold. I'm FREEHAND baby!
The road to my hell is paved with your good intentions.


myowngeeksqwad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 18
Location: Joplin, Mo

16 Jul 2011, 2:05 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
myowngeeksqwad wrote:
It seems that getting aspies to socialize is like pulling teeth.


You could get an aspie to pull their own teeth easier than getting them to socialize.




ha ha. I think you are right.



SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,903

16 Jul 2011, 3:10 pm

myowngeeksqwad wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
myowngeeksqwad wrote:
It seems that getting aspies to socialize is like pulling teeth.


You could get an aspie to pull their own teeth easier than getting them to socialize.




ha ha. I think you are right.


As much as I hate socializing, I think having my teeth pulled out would be a bit worse.


_________________
Remember, all atrocities begin in a sensible place.


bee33
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,249

16 Jul 2011, 5:11 pm

I've only been to one GRASP meetup and it was about a year ago, but I'm on the email list for my area and there are often planned get togethers at museums and bars that people seem to enjoy a lot. I haven't been to any of them because I don't feel like I am autistic enough, so I don't think I would fit in, and I would feel like an interloper. Perhaps that is strange, that even among aspies I don't feel like I fit in?

In addition, my inability to socialize and its related anxiety is so bad that it's perhaps worse than that of people who are in other ways more autistic than I am. They seem like a really friendly and very smart bunch of people, but I think I'm just too awkward and uncomfortable to join them.



YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,033
Location: mostly, in my head.

16 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

SammichEater wrote:
myowngeeksqwad wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
myowngeeksqwad wrote:
It seems that getting aspies to socialize is like pulling teeth.


You could get an aspie to pull their own teeth easier than getting them to socialize.




ha ha. I think you are right.


As much as I hate socializing, I think having my teeth pulled out would be a bit worse.


I have recently had two teeth pulled out. It was a lot more fun than socialising (and I'm one of those who actually wants to socialise ...). I laughed a lot more at the bizarreness of the situation - the dentist was struggling to get them out and the more she struggled the more I laughed - than I ever do when I am trying to socialise!


_________________
Female. Dx ASD in 2011 @ Age 38. Also Dx BPD


myowngeeksqwad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 18
Location: Joplin, Mo

16 Jul 2011, 5:49 pm

bee33 wrote:
I don't feel like I am autistic enough, so I don't think I would fit in, and I would feel like an interloper. Perhaps that is strange, that even among aspies I don't feel like I fit in?

In addition, my inability to socialize and its related anxiety is so bad that it's perhaps worse than that of people who are in other ways more autistic than I am. They seem like a really friendly and very smart bunch of people, but I think I'm just too awkward and uncomfortable to join them.




bee33: I too feel like I am more "high functioning" But we have some new people who don't sit there and rock and they talk quite a bit. Now if I could just get them to interact outside of the meetings.

I also suffer such strong anxiety that I tend to be quiet around people even when I am around other aspies. (Even though I yearn to talk)



Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 379
Location: California

16 Apr 2014, 4:21 pm

Hello,

Has GRASP.org reassessed what specifically constitutes support resources appropriate for Asperger adults?

The following discussion-thread on Asperger adult concerns discusses specifics on Asperger adult supports: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255730.html

Thank-you



Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,334
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

17 Apr 2014, 11:47 am

i used to go regularly now i go once in awhile