Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MTMom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2011, 12:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a mom to an awesome kiddo on the spectrum (he is probably nearer to having Asperger's). I'm very interested in feedback on the use of people first language. I don't really like when people call my kiddo autistic. I'd rather they say he has autism. I just feel like it's not the sum total of who he is. But in doing some research online. I see the use of the word Aspie a lot and the use of "autistics" from within the autism community. It seems like Aspie is almost a term of endearment at times.

I just wanted to get feedback from the community here. Thanks everyone!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 1:02 pm

Welcome to WP!

MTMom wrote:
... I see the use of the word Aspie a lot and the use of "autistics" from within the autism community. It seems like Aspie is almost a term of endearment at times.

I just wanted to get feedback from the community here. Thanks everyone!

I happen to view/hear/feel "Aspie" as your kind of "term of endearment", so to speak, but you will likely hear a variety of thoughts about that from others here. Depending upon your child's age and any "personality or preferential factors" of his own her own, I would be inclined to use the "Aspie" label in quiet and friendly ways among familiar faces ... but to certainly not then also go out broadcasting it all over everywhere like any kind of show-and-tell thereby leaving your child unnecessarily vulnerable to all kinds of unpredictable responses, reactions and questions from others.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 1:47 pm

It may be the Aspie in me, but I've never really understood the motivations behind those particular verbal gymnastics. "I am autistic" means exactly the same to me as "I have autism". Neither promotes over the other any additional understanding of my reality. The reactions of the world at large to the phenomenon of autism seems mostly independent of such verbal distinctions as well. It feels too much like excruciating efforts at generating politically correct speech simply to be politically correct.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 2:17 pm

The difference in semantics is that 'having autism' implies a certain separation between you and your autism. Let me give an example: 'I have a visual impairment and a cold' I would still be the same person if the cold would go away and even if the doctors could cure my FUBAR vision. I would not be the same without asperger's... that said. I know that many people use the terms interchangingly.

Aspie has a positive connotation on WP, but in other forums, it can have a negative one. *shrugs* For autistics, the parallel term auties exists. Language is sometimes strange but immensely interesting.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:02 pm

I think the issue is one of embracing whatever characteristics make us who we are. Saying that someone has autism rather than saying he is autistic sounds like a desire to create distance between the person and the disorder, which I don't see as desirable because it carries with it an implication that there is something wrong with being autistic. Calling oneself autistic doesn't imply, at least in my mind, that being autistic is the sum total of what an autistic person is. It's one aspect, but a real and honorable one.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:04 pm

I just say that I'm autistic, plain and simple.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:12 pm

My 8YO kidling is dx'd AS and I'm fairly certain I am too.

I feel no distinction between Aspie, autistic or 'individual with autism'. Asperger's is a syndrome on the autism spectrum so the words themselves are descriptive, not inherently offensive but any word can be wielded like a weapon depending on the intent of the user. If someone is expressing something offensive and uses the word 'autistic' in a dehumanizing way, it's the intent of the user, not the word to blame. I have also seen spouses of those with AS on 'support' sites using the term 'Aspie' like a curse word.

Every subculture comes up with it's own self identifying terminologies. And, many times, that subculture resents outsiders using their pet terminology. Aspie/Autie may fit that bill.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:39 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
It may be the Aspie in me, but I've never really understood the motivations behind those particular verbal gymnastics. "I am autistic" means exactly the same to me as "I have autism". Neither promotes over the other any additional understanding of my reality. The reactions of the world at large to the phenomenon of autism seems mostly independent of such verbal distinctions as well. It feels too much like excruciating efforts at generating politically correct speech simply to be politically correct.

+1. It really doesn't matter either way.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:46 pm

On a more practical note, I suspect the development of your child's self esteem will have more to do with how you teach him and react to him than any particular language you use. The particular constructs "I have autism" and "I am autistic" are pretty fine distinctions that many children would not easily understand. Don't brow beat your child when he makes a mistake, don't give him false praise just to make him feel good, keep finding ways to let him know how much you care - these things will go miles further than any particular usage of language.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 4:05 pm

The usage of the phrase depends probably on the users intent, but can also be influenced by the mother tongue of the user. In Dutch for example "Ik heb autisme" is used most, that translates to "I have autism". The term 'autist' has a more negative meaning in Dutch, so I do not use 'autistic'.

The term Aspie is not used in Dutch, but I see it as a positive term, a bit endearing.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2011, 3:52 pm

FIRST OFF WELCOME
I am quite familiar with the peoples first language, i will argue that it has many pros and cons (my perspective is that I work with adults who have various developmental disabilities, and I am also an Aspie,) but rather than debating the semantics of each word preference, the intention is good. we may be people who are Aspies or NTs, but either way we are people first, and it is my belief that the more influence that people who live with disabilities (or gifts :wink: ) have over how the issue is framed, in this case by virtue of the terminology. Personally the one I think should be pushed is that if you have met one person with Autism, you have met One person with Autism[u]

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 7:26 pm

Add me to the "I don't get the verbal gymnastics." I say whatever comes out and count myself lucky that I could get it out, if I could, at that moment.

MTMom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2011, 11:31 pm

I appreciate all of your input. Thanks so much!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 1:20 am

Blog post I wrote on the subject--

Call Me Autistic

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com