Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 2:45 pm

I have heard that people's sensory issues are supposed to cause pain. I have mild sensory issues, but they don't cause pain. Like for example, some sounds make me cringe, even thought they don't hurt my ears. I don't like being touched, but it doesn't cause pain.

Does a sensory have to be painful or can it just really, really bother you?

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2011, 2:51 pm

I have light sensitivity. I get dizzy / disoriented by camera flashes, and blinded by flashlights and headlights shines directly on.

unrecognized_object
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2011, 3:00 pm

I don't have sensory issues that causes pain either. But I'm startled by sudden sounds, even if they're not loud, sudden movements of objects around me and touches, they all make me blench. I'm also really really startled by the sensation of prickling and I get dizzy and faint if it causes bleeding or medium-strong pain (but this issue is associated with my phobia, not with Aspergers)

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 3:04 pm

I've not heard that sensory issues have to hurt, my understanding of sensory issues is that it's more about sensory overload.

For example I believe I have issues with touch - in particular things like loose-fitting clothing or gentle stroking - this doesn't cause me pain, but *thinks*....the only words I have to describe it is that it's just too intense a sensation, it's a little like how I'd imagine it would feel if you were being continuously tickled; not painful, but would be uncomfortable and would stop you from being able to think clearly or focus on anything else.

I also believe I have lesser issues with light which can be painful but more uncomfortable for my eyes to deal with, and sound which sometimes with multiple sounds at once feels like having someone nattering in my ear non-stop, my brain just seems to get overly focused on the sound so freezes-up and stops being able to think or focus on anything else.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 3:34 pm

it's sensory discomfort rather than pain. for example, some of us find a lack of sensory input to be an extreme source of discomfort and deal with it by stimming (rocking, flapping, making a noise, basically anything to self-stimulate your own senses).

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2011, 3:45 pm

I hate being touched but i love the weight of blankets when i sleep
I react to some unexcepted sounds (slamming doors annoy me)
It seems that i see always dark, so i tend to work with light on all day and i never use sun glasses.
And i'm mono-channel
No pain

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 7:20 pm

In a few extreme cases sensory overload might cause me physical pain, but more often it's psychological pain--the annoyance grabs my attention and I can only wait stiffly until it stops or find some way to mitigate it, including flight.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 7:40 pm

I've actually never heard of sensory issues causing physical pain - as others have said, just psychological discomfort...

The whole sensory issues thing is something that really puzzled me about being diagnosed with Asperger's. I can't think of anything sensory I go through that's different to NT's, but I was still diagnosed. May have to think on this. :P

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 8:01 pm

Certain sounds at or above a certain volume cause me actual pain - it feels like an ice pick in my ear. It's mainly high pitched sounds - metallic, certain voices especially squealy little girls. I have a neice that can bring me too tears. Thankfully its only a handful of sounds that cause this.

Too much background noise makes all sound run together - if the tv is on and a fan and someone tried talking to me, it's just a mashed up blob of indistinct sound.
I can't understand the lyrics in most songs and a definitely cannot pick out individual tracks or instruments out of music.

I have touch issues thanks to fibromyalgia. Also a suspected co-morbid in AS.

Luckily I do not have meltdowns or shut downs because of these issues - I mainly just get real cranky when they get overwhelming. Startling pain from a poke in hte arm or a sudden shout near my ear will make me lash out subconsciously - I am in no way violent and even have trouble getting angry but that startle/pain reactions are nearly immediate and nearly out of my control. I did force myself to learn some control when I had my daughter though. Thankfully she never had a high pitched squeal to worry about but the sudden poke/pinch/punch was a monumental challenge.

Nier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2011, 2:36 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
I have heard that people's sensory issues are supposed to cause pain. I have mild sensory issues, but they don't cause pain. Like for example, some sounds make me cringe, even thought they don't hurt my ears. I don't like being touched, but it doesn't cause pain.

Does a sensory have to be painful or can it just really, really bother you?

I suppose it depends on what is being meant by 'pain' by those people. If they mean that some sensations are so unpleasant that the person reacts in a way that includes physiological distress (raised heartrate, blood pressure, sweating, anxious/fearful, 'fight or flight' response, feeling sick, trembling) then experiencing that is painful IMO. It's just the terminology is a little confused.

Given that raised anxiety or levels of high alert for unpleasant stimuli on an ongoing basis can lead to shortcuts in the body's response, so that the person is sensitised and so reacts more easily & acutely as time goes by, then physical symptoms can also manifest which are indeed the 'classic' pain of stabbing/aching joints, muscles, stomach, head and so on. This happens often in classic stress & is why such pain is on the list for stress symptoms . It's the continuum of the same process but if you don't have the 'classic' pain symptoms it doesn't mean the sensory issues are any easier.