Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2013, 2:54 pm

I hear many people on this forum admit they don't like driving. I enjoy driving so much that I go on joy rides and listen to music. I was randomly driving in the city one night. I found myself driving out of the city and by the time I knew it, I was out of the state in Kentucky. I was like 80 miles from home. I have no idea how I ended up there, but I enjoyed the trip.I just can't keep my butt home.

catwhisperer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2013, 3:17 pm

I loved to drive when I was leaving high school and then trapped in college, because I felt stuck all the time. But now all I do is drive, so I'm pretty sick of it.

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2013, 3:21 pm

Driving without traffic is great but where I live the traffic is always heavy and people are very aggressive. I have done many long journeys on clear open roads and yes, they are fun.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 3:44 pm

I've been car-obsessed since birth. Driving feels like all the control I never had. Wouldn't give up my Saab for the world.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 4:01 pm

I can't drive, but I wish I could -- for practical reasons (more independence, more job opportunities and freedom in terms of where I could live) and because I love the feeling of being in a moving vehicle.

Love transcends all.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 4:14 pm

I really don't like to drive very much.

That said, one thing that I think would be interesting (and I've had dreams about it) would be to do a complete restoration on my '64 pickup similar to the one in the picture below and hit the road touring Texas and occasionally other areas and writing up my observations for a blog along with pictures. Things like visiting various local festivals on weekends and seeing the various sights.

In that case, I would probably not drive very far in a typical day. Maybe just from one town to the next and stopping for the day. I can imagine spending months on the road between visits home.

My pickup looks much like this one:

[img][500:266]http://eric.gruver.net/images/c-900/267691-1000-0.jpg[/img]

except that mine is cream colored instead of red, the side mirrors don't stick out as far, I don't have any sideboards on it, and on my pickup the spare tire mounts in the back right side of the pickup bed and is clearly visible. And mine has some minor dents as well.

I suspect that I'd get tired of that pretty fast and return home.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2013, 4:18 pm

cberg wrote:
I've been car-obsessed since birth. Driving feels like all the control I never had. Wouldn't give up my Saab for the world.

I had a 9-3 coup turbo charged Saab. It was the best car I ever owned. What kind of Saab do you have?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 5:07 pm

I LOVE driving! I've driven to Fallon, Nevada, and back in one day (about 470 miles round trip). I use my mom's car now, and she has an insurance policy that limits my driving to around 12k miles/year, so no more long trips. I hope to get an older pre-97 diesel pickup. (Pre-1997 diesels are smog-exempt in CA.) I've driven more than one car into the ground with my driving habits.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

I've driven from Rhode Island to L.A. That took 5 days. I also drove from Nashville to Seattle. That took 2 days. I've also driven a taxi so there were lots of miles put in from upstate NY to the airports. I put in a lot of miles on my bike, too.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 5:20 pm

I only enjoy driving on freeways late at night or early in the morning. Making a nice speed with barely any traffic. I really don't enjoy driving in busy cities.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2013, 5:22 pm

pezar wrote:
I LOVE driving! I've driven to Fallon, Nevada, and back in one day (about 470 miles round trip). I use my mom's car now, and she has an insurance policy that limits my driving to around 12k miles/year, so no more long trips. I hope to get an older pre-97 diesel pickup. (Pre-1997 diesels are smog-exempt in CA.) I've driven more than one car into the ground with my driving habits.

I wouldn't buy a pickup if you like taking road trips. It won't be good for your wallet. I'll look into buying a smaller car, preferably a foreign car as they are the cheapest on gas and much more reliable.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2013, 5:24 pm

Andras wrote:
I only enjoy driving on freeways late at night or early in the morning. Making a nice speed with barely any traffic. I really don't enjoy driving in busy cities.

I enjoy night driving. There's less noise and it's much more peaceful than in the day time. The only disadvantage of night driving is that it attracts more cops since not many people drive at night.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 6:00 pm

I enjoy the freedom of having a car and I'm thankful of being able to drive where I need to go. But to me it's means to get from one place to another, rather than recreation. It's usually something I'm neither happy or unhappy about. I hate long drives though. Anything past an hour starts to be way too long of a drive.
I consider long drives boring and arduous and kind of nerve wracking.

I've got major butterflies about my upcoming drive from Las Vegas to Seattle.
I think one reason why is feeling trapped and cooped up for too long. Having to basically sit in the same position with nothing to do except keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road. My back and legs eventually start to get stiff and hurt. The longer I'm in a car the more I worry about breakdowns and accidents.
When I was taken on long rides as a child, I always worried about us breaking down and getting stranded. Driving through mountain passes always made me especially nervous. Still does.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 6:13 pm

I like driving when there isn't a lot of traffic. I love driving on back roads.

I love driving on the wrong side of the road and driving fast.

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2013, 6:19 pm

eric76 wrote:
Things like visiting various local festivals on weekends and seeing the various sights.

This is what I do, making videos of local festivals for a regional travel blog. What's most interesting about that is how much more I see on the videos than I ever notice in real life. Maybe it's from repeated viewings, but still I can see that in real life I'm missing a lot of the subtleties of interactions between people.

P.S. VERY cool truck image!

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 7:07 pm

I am not allowed to drive a car.
Driving means also to foresee others people reaction as I got told and I got assessed not being able to do so.
I do not ride a bike in open traffic.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.