Why do Aspies talk and sing to themselves?

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Do you sing or talk to yourself? (Aspies only)
Sing only 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Talk only 27%  27%  [ 36 ]
Both Sing and Talk 67%  67%  [ 89 ]
Neither 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 133

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:49 am

I can't because even if there is no one else in the house, I'm paranoid that I'm being watched and recorded.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:49 am

auntblabby wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:
Because I have a lot in common with myself! We have so much to talk about. And since we know each other pretty well, we can talk about everything and anything without fear of being judged. I know I can always depend on myself. Also, if I want to call up at 2 in the morning to talk, I'll always be there for myself.

you took the words right outta my mouth :o
i talk and sing to myself, to keep myself company [i'm a hermit] and to entertain myself. when i do this i'm not lonely anymore. it helps to keep me sane.

I'm not sure it makes me feel any less lonely.

I like to think of it as "keeping my eye in"........if I didn't talk to myself when I was alone, I'd probably not be so fluent when I finally do get the chance to converse with other people. So it's like a rehearsal. Though it has a lot of other functions as well.

Spork
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm

I sing to myself, what I don't understand is why I sing songs that really really annoy me. For instance I listen to heavy metal, but when I burst into song, which is frequent, it's something from the Andrew Sisters or Hall & Oats!

I don't really talk to myself, but I do tell myself to 'Shut Up!' when I start singing something particularly embarrassing. :oops:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 12:31 pm

Supernova008 wrote:
The question is in the title. First of all, DO people with Asperger's talk and sing to themselves? Assuming they have no other mental problems (eg. schizophrenia), why do Aspies talk and sing to themselves?

I don't know if they all do it. I do it because it's fun.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

I only talk to myself.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 4:19 pm

Although I whistle occasionally, I almost never talk/sing to myself. When I was much younger (primary/elementary school age) I would hum all the time. I stopped doing it because my parents gave me a hard time over it. Today I am much more self-conscious and rarely do it, even in private

HoodedShadow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2011, 4:41 pm

I have no idea why but sometimes I might talk out loud to myself and sometimes I have "conversation" with myself inside my head. Somehow I tend to argue about something with my own mind inside my head not out loud..

Email address: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhid ... 0lSIA-uw==

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
It is the only way I can have a decent intellectual conversation! :P

+1 8)

+2 :roll:

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:49 pm

I both sing and talk to myself. I don't know exactly why lol

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 4:29 am

bumble wrote:
I both sing and talk to myself. I don't know exactly why lol

judging by your signature ["If the world ain't gonna bring happiness to my door, F**k it, I will make my own then!"] i'd guess that when you sing and talk to yourself, you are making your own happiness, just as i do. just a thought. :)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 11:18 am

I both sing and talk to myself.

Singing because I have a song I like stuck in my head, and if I don't sing it, a particular line will repeat itself in my head over and over and seriously annoy me. If it's a song I don't like, of course, singing it will annoy me even more, so I sing a different song.

I talk to myself because it seems to make my thoughts 'louder' and therefore easier to follow. I especially seem to get the urge to talk to myself when I'm walking, so when I'm in a really thoughtful mood I'll pace and talk to myself.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

I do a little bit of both. I tend to only talk to myself when I am stuck on some sort of problem I am working on and just thinking about it or writing it down wont fix it. When I try to just talk to myself in my head it always seems kind of unclear and slow going... not really sure how to explain it?? If I vocalize my thoughts though (say them out loud) it is like I am re-inputting them into my head in another format and it reinforces them, makes them seem clearer or something.

Singing is just kind of a release I think, lots of times I sing folk songs but I will change all the words around to be goofy takes on those songs. Singing/music in general just makes me feel better. Plus I want to be a better singer (I have quite a poor singing voice) and practice makes perfect (well... better anyway).

Tantricbadass
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

I didn't put that I sing to myself because that is normal.I talk to myself because usually it's a over load of emotional confrontation in my head or I'm imagining what a person would say to me.Sometimes it's a imaginary conversation.Sometimes I just wanna verbalized my thoughts