Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 May 2011, 8:42 am

I remember back in High-School, I seemed to be incapable of "ordinary conversation" and my ordinary conversational approach appeared to be one consisting of asking a lot of questions, and I earned the nick-name of "The Walking Interview" (When I was granted that ever-so noble title, I asked "Did you say The Walking Interview?" upon which laughing commenced.). Has anyone had this kind of "conversational" style, before? (Assuming it is "conversational", lol.) I'm curious if it's associated with autism as it seemed to be one of my more "unique" qualities, and I was wondering if "autism" might be the explanation.

To be more descriptive, basically, you ask a question, they answer, you ask a question, they answer, you ask a question, and so on. You're like a rapidly firing question gun!

Supernova008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2011, 8:52 am

Yes, in fact I think I inspired you to start this thread in another thread :P

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 May 2011, 9:07 am

Supernova008 wrote:

Yep. :D Do you feel all sorts of inspirational? :P

Supernova008

21 May 2011, 9:14 am

swbluto wrote:
Supernova008 wrote:

Yep. :D Do you feel all sorts of inspirational? :P

What do you mean?

Although, I am an "interviewer" online mostly. In real life, I often feel too awkward to just continuously ask questions.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 9:50 am

topic title wrote:
Were you a walking interviewer?

no. i was a walking "get out of my way and do not disturb me" type of person, i still am. i do not understand why you phrased your question in the past tense.

swbluto wrote:
I remember back in High-School, I seemed to be incapable of "ordinary conversation" and my ordinary conversational approach appeared to be one consisting of asking a lot of questions, and I earned the nick-name of "The Walking Interview" (When I was granted that ever-so noble title, I asked "Did you say The Walking Interview?" upon which laughing commenced.). Has anyone had this kind of "conversational" style, before? (Assuming it is "conversational", lol.) I'm curious if it's associated with autism as it seemed to be one of my more "unique" qualities, and I was wondering if "autism" might be the explanation.

i have no interest in what other people say usually, so i do not invite them to talk to me. if i need to hear what someone has to say, i will listen, but if i do not, i just proceed along my intended path without any influence from, or concern for the outside world.

swbluto wrote:
To be more descriptive, basically, you ask a question, they answer, you ask a question, they answer, you ask a question, and so on.

i have no questions that i want to ask other people for the answers to.
if i have a "question", it will remain a "question" until only i have resolved it.

i can not "network" with other people, and if i have a difficulty, i resolve it without consultation, because "consultation" is useless to me . who do i "consult" when i do not believe or trust anyone else's ability to make stable decisions in the setting of my particular turmoils.

i can not see inside other peoples heads. i just know what they say.
i always retreat to solitude because i know that only i can see my life through my eyes.
other people do not understand no matter how hard they try, so i cannot rely on them to be sound advisers as to how i should step through my life since they see life differently to me.

i do not ask questions for other people to answer because i am not interested in random answers that are foreign to my understanding.

swbluto wrote:
You're like a rapidly firing question gun!

i can not imagine how you came to that conclusion. i really could not give a rats backside, so my "question canon" is inoperative because it is stuffed with all the rats arses that i could not bring myself to give away. it is an excellent storage container for my gigantic stock of rats arses.that i have amassed over the years. soon i will need a warehouse i am sure.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 10:20 am

I still am a walking interviewer. I ask people very particular, pre-thought-out questions. I sort of collect people and study them.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2011, 2:54 pm

I don't think that for myself it is the number of questions that I ask, but more the quality of the question. Supposedly I ask questions that are probing or weird and that makes people uncomfortable. I'm not sure how to fix this, because I can only think the thoughts that my brain formulates. Since I don't understand the same things as NTs, I guess they get uncomfortable at having to explain themselves.
Sheesh. There are just too many rules.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 3:14 pm

MathGirl wrote:
I still am a walking interviewer.

I was gonna say that!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 3:25 pm

Sometimes I ask questions when I can't think of anything to say and I feel tense and worried that the conversation has stalled. Especially on the phone.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 4:20 pm

b9 wrote:
i really could not give a rats backside, so my "question canon" is inoperative because it is stuffed with all the rats arses that i could not bring myself to give away. it is an excellent storage container for my gigantic stock of rats arses.that i have amassed over the years. soon i will need a warehouse i am sure.

:lol:

I don't think I've ever been like that. But I do tend to ask questions that people don't know how to answer. I've been told that I assume that other people are walking encyclopedias, because I ask them questions they have absolutely no reason to know the answer to.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2011, 4:40 pm

I saw a good you tube video with some teenager with AS talking to people kind of like this, and a professional trying to explain what is happening. Unfortunately I cannot find it again.

The kid was trying to make sort of small talk conversation with peers, and he would always ask questions about concrete details like what, when, where, who with etc. The other person would answer the question, but not really elaborate or say anything else so he asked another question. Then the shrink went into explaining how it was the type of questions that he asked, the fact that he was asking for concrete physical details about the situation and not how the situation effected the other person or asking for the other person's interpretation of what happened. How this kind of takes the other person out of the conversation.

I started looking at what types of questions I ask and comparing that to observations of other people interacting with one another. I realized I'm guilty of this fairly often, and tried to focus on their suggestion of asking questions more about what the other person thought about the situation, than asking about the situation itself. It does kind of work in that the other person definitely talks for longer, although they actually say allot less.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 5:21 pm

My parents refered to me as the little interrorgator. I was always asking questions non-stop.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 5:24 pm

When I was a kid, I got told not to ask so many questions! People found the amount exasperating. I found it exasperating they didn't have the answers :wink:
My mom bought me a set of encyclopedias when I was a toddler from a traveling salesman. She told me to look up answers to my questions in them.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 6:01 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
When I was a kid, I got told not to ask so many questions! People found the amount exasperating. I found it exasperating they didn't have the answers :wink:

LOL! I think I limited my "knowledge questions" to my parents (Because being the impressionable youngin' I was, I assumed they had "all the answers") and to those whose knowledge base I was probing, and when my parents didn't "know the answer", they would just make it up. For example, at 6 I asked, "What's the gas on Jupiter made of?" to my father and he started making up all sorts of crap about oxygen and carbon, lol.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 6:22 pm

I'm more like the walking interviewee. If I do ask a question, it's as a last resort.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 6:47 pm

No. When I am with another person I rarely ask them any questions. I am either not interested in them, too anxious, too absorbed in my thoughts or too distracted by my environment. I like silence, and rarely find a person I am interested in enough to ask questions about them.

If I do ask them questions, it will probably be about where they are from, as I am interested in accents, dialects, religions, and other countries.

I find personal information about other people makes me uncomfortable, and I have no wish to know it. My mother is constantly telling me about the lives of her friends and their children, and I don't understand why she thinks I will find this interesting. I don't want to know about their boyfriends, diseases, children, and general gossip. I can never remember who these people are anyway, they are just names to me.

The people I meet at the farm I go to generally talk about football, partners, pop stars, Britain's Got Talent etc. I go and talk to the goats, who are much more interesting. :wink: