I think i might have been diagnosed with borderline MR

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2011, 2:26 pm

Is this possible?Do mentally ret*d know that they are that way?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:37 pm

Well mild mental retardation is IQ < 70.

I'll bet your writing skills are better than an IQ of 70 would be expected.

You figured out how to use the internet.

You figured out how to make an account here.

Measuring IQ is problematic in general. It's even more of a problem measuring IQ in autistics.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2011, 2:44 pm

I said Borderline.So iq 70-85,probably let's say 82.Is it logical and to know it?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:48 pm

Of course it's logical. I'm sure many ret*ds are aware that they are ret*ds, especially if they are borderline.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:50 pm

When do you think this happened? Sometimes children are given a diagnosis of mild mental retardation that proves to be incorrect as they get older.

If you took an IQ test as a child then that is probably why you don't know your exact IQ score (children often aren't told).

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2011, 2:52 pm

And are they happy(i don't say it in a discriminating way like because they are slow-not really because i am nice-i say it with how they fit in society,discrimination,dehumanization and all that-if they face any in the first place)?Do they have girlfriends/boyfriends?Friends?Are they being accepted?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:53 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I'm sure many ret*ds are aware that they are ret*ds, especially if they are borderline.

There is no such thing as a "ret*d". There are people who have mental retardation. "ret*d" is just an insult made up by kids and has no place in a discussion of actual diagnoses. :evil:

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 May 2011, 2:56 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
And are they happy(i don't say it in a discriminating way like because they are slow-not really because i am nice-i say it with how they fit in society,discrimination,dehumanization and all that-if they face any in the first place)?Do they have girlfriends/boyfriends?Friends?Are they being accepted?

Often those with borderline retardation find a niche, in unskilled jobs such as construction, filing, and various other jobs that don't require much brain power. Those who are borderline ret*d manage to fit in ok in society seeing as you wouldn't be able to pick up on it right away, like you would with someone who is severely ret*d, which you can tell by just looking at them half the time.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:58 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:

It depends entirely on the people. Some people do quite well. They have friendships, romances, sometimes marriage, jobs. Some do just horribly and have unhappy, dehumanized lives with people who are horrible to them. I think a lot depends on what sort of family you get born into and also just plain luck.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

JohnyJohn wrote:

With all due respect, most with border line IQs don't use words like "dehumanization" let alone spell them correctly.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

I want some other answers too about what i asked.Do they have relationships?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:59 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:

Many do.

But why are you worried about this? Like wavefreak said, correct use and spelling of "dehumanization" doesn't point to mild mental retardation.

Were you diagnosed as a child? There are many cases of children who were thought to be mentally ret*d when young but were later found not to be. I suspect I was one of those children, although my parents don't want to talk about it. But sometimes children can do very badly in school and also do badly on an IQ test and thus get labeled "mild mental retardation". There are posters here who have scored very high and also very low on IQ tests, depending on when the test was given. So these things aren't set in stone.

Last edited by Janissy on 23 May 2011, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2011, 3:00 pm

My psychologist said i am not Borderline since Borderline people don't think they way i think.Not ask what i ask.Also i think i am not because of my music taste.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2011, 3:01 pm

Janissy wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:

Many do.

So do i have chance(if i am/diagnosed)?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 3:03 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
My psychologist said i am not Borderline since Borderline people don't think they way i think.Not ask what i ask.Also i think i am not because of my music taste.

Are you diagnosed autistic? I doubt you are borderline ret*d, but I'm no psychologist. There are some really interesting threads in this forum about IQ and autism. Search for them.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 3:05 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
Janissy wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:

Many do.

So do i have chance(if i am/diagnosed)?

A chance at a relationship? Yes.