Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:49 am

Do you have any comfort objects you have to have with you to keep you calm in stressful situations? Like, something that can calm you down when you are having a bad day or after a meltdown or when you are overloaded?

For me, it would be my Axel plush and my scarfy. I take them everywhere, even inside of places because I feel more relaxed when they are with me. Not a lot of people really look at me strangely either. So it's funny that people don't wonder why this 22 year old girl is carrying a plushie. I guess they figure its from a game or something?

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz11 ... 67877e.jpg

^ That's what my comfort objects look like. My scarfy you see there, its this really soft silky like cotton scarf that feels soothing against my fingers and my cheek. I always spray it with a scent I enjoy as well since I smell it often for comfort and sensory input. ^.^

So what about you? :3

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 May 2011, 2:00 am

I've had a few over the years. Right now I have these cheap party bracelets that are kind of slinkylike (but not actual slinkies, they're not that flexible) that I use to direct my stimming. I also have a particular pair of sunglasses I've owned for 16 years. I wear them everywhere because a) sensitive to light and b) I don't like any other pair. I lost them for awhile and was not at my best until I found them again. I have a kind of long sweaterish thing I wear over my clothes all the time, and I feel pretty exposed without it. I've gone without it only a few times in the past year, and I've owned it since 2002 or so.

I have in the past had a koosh ball and stuffed toys, although I managed to lose all of those to my abusive ex in a single move. :(

I had a faux Walkman from 1984 or so until 1991 or 1992 when it developed a short and killed all batteries.

Last edited by Verdandi on 26 May 2011, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 2:02 am

I carry my ipod everywhere for the sensory imput.

I also have a peice of string around my right ankle, does that count? it's been there for about a month, not sure why, i think I was slightly mad when i decided "okay, I'll put a string around my foot and keep it there forever"

clothing^ I wear an unzipple light hoodie everywhere all the time, it's a little dirty..

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2011, 2:06 am

I have a grey fleece and a black hoodie that are both about 25 years old. My dad wore them and my mom, and I've had them for around ten years. I feel very naked without one of them.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

PokeyLaLa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2011, 2:12 am

i play with scraps of paper. and growing up i always carried a window lock http://childproofmyhome.com/store/images/8746-w.jpg but my mom took it away from me when i was 13 because we moved and she said it belonged to the house.

edit: i also have a teddy bear that i have had since 4

Sheldrake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2011, 2:19 am

Ear plugs and a defensive weapon such as knife, batton or gun.

At home I like colourful lighting and lots of computers.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 6:35 am

my teddy bear. ive had him for almost 20yrs i guess. i check to make sure he is next to me every night before i go to sleep. he was always the one i would run to and hug when i was sad or angry or happy when i was a kid since i couldnt talk to anyone else. holding him still makes me feel better. i know its childish but i have no one else. pets too but they die a lot.

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2011, 9:13 am

Ipod, I NEED it. Blocks out stuff. I'm also obsessed with rings. Metal rings that guys wear, pretty ones that girls wear, leather rings...it comforts me to wear or even just hold rings.
I always have a book with me. Every time I go out.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:17 am

My therapist called them "transition objects." I have a million. Little dolls, little stuffed critters, chewy necklace, iPod, all kinds of things. Not all at once, mind you; they take turns.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2011, 9:19 am

Do books count?

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:35 am

I don't, never liked having something people could see me using in that way.

As a young child I wore dresses/tops with ribbons to chew on, or sucked my thumb up until the age of 13 - built-in comfort object. I did have my magnetic bracelet to fiddle with in my last job, but other than that no other objects.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:12 pm

Greek worry beads. And some very smooth, small beach pebbles that I put in my pocket.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 May 2011, 12:18 pm

Trencher93 wrote:
Do books count?

Oh, wow, I never thought of that.

I think they can, although when one goes from book to book, I wonder how that works.

I have a book with me everywhere.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:28 pm

I bring my CD player and my headphones to my clubhouse, all the time.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:34 pm

Oh yeah, I also have my ipod nano with my zip up hoodie sweatshirt. It has built-in headphones in the sweatshirt and I wear it all the time, so much that it gets dirty easily.

My other comfort is wearing my denim capris. I wear them quite often and they are comfy too... I hardly wear anything else other than my capris. Without them, I feel less comfy and whatever.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2011, 1:56 pm

I need my music more than anything. My iPod is almost always at my side, especially when we go out. It provides distraction from outside sensory input by keeping me in touch with the familiar... keeping me feeling like myself.