How to deal with sensory overload in social situations?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 8:39 am

BassMan_720 wrote:
I’ve only known about my AS for nine months and am trying to get my head around some of my issues.

I went for a meal with my wife and kids. When we arrived at the restaurant it was quiet but it quickly filled up. The restaurant became very busy and was fairly loud, with lots of different conversations, piped music, etc. For the first time in my life, I became aware of sensory overload. Previously I would have zoned out and hid in my phone or found something to allow me to isolate myself from the background noise.

Being on my best social behaviour, I persevered and tried to continue take part in the conversation. I found I was totally unable to understand anything that was being said. I heard words but they did not make any sense to me. It was very much like listening to the teacher from Peanuts. My hearing kept homing in on the voice of a guy on the next table. Often he was all I could hear. I wasn’t even eavesdropping, because he was a local guy and I don’t speak Cantonese. I was so stressed that I had a strong urge to get up and leave. I stuck things out until after the peak time and the restaurant eventually started to quieten down. There must be a certain threshold background noise level for me, because I started to understand the conversation again and felt less stressed. The peak time was hell though.

Does anybody have a technique for overcoming this issue? Hiding or leaving a situation is no longer an option for me.

I always carry ear plugs whenever I leave my house. It's the only way I can cope with shopping malls and quite a lot of restaurants!

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2012, 11:16 am

I have a 'kit' that I always carry with me:

my cell phone
headphones
at least one book to read
puzzle book
a pen
napkins to doodle on

These things have helped me tremendously in dealing with overload---when I'm allowed to use them.