Can People with Asperger's Syndrome travel AirPlanes alone

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2015, 12:35 am

Can People with Asperger's Syndrome travel alone by themselves on AirPlanes by alone I mean without Family or Friends going along is this possible ? I ask because I want to do this. Has anyone here ever done that or tried with Plane Ticket thank you for you're time ?

http://www.ksbw.com/money/travel/best-t ... s/35705678

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 12:43 am

Of course, I end up on planes for all sorts of reasons...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 1:18 am

Yes, we can. I did it for a year and a half for work when I was in my twenties, two random trips a month. But it's not comfortable, at all. Okay, it's miserable. And pretty much nothing goes as you expect or plan. But if you expect that, it helps a little. And visiting the airport ahead of time so everything up to the security checkpoint is familiar helps, too. Just...remember that airports and airplanes are loud, overstimulating, full of people and smells and strangeness and ...consider booking the red eye (ie past midnight departure if possible). The airport is much more calm and quiet, and everyone else sleeps on the flight. Depends on how being super tired affects you, of course - might not be worth the trade off. Bring headphones & something to watch or read so you can check out as needed. Also, the bathrooms are not comfortable so eat light & easy leading up to the trip.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 1:47 am

There are probably people with Aspergers who are airline pilots. As for myself, even tho many AS kids my age can fly by themselves, I would need a guardian.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 3:58 am

I've done so without difficulty. I had been there before though, which was helpful.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 5:36 am

Of course they can....and, as you can see, they do.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 6:39 am

I made a 5,000 mile plane journey for a planned trip all by myself as a girl in my 20s who had never been anywhere before. I loved it. Subsequently made many flights back and forth all alone. It's no biggie if you actively want to do it and want to enjoy the experience. It may be more uncomfortable to someone who is, well, not comfortable with the prospect, or concerned about needing a guardian or advocate, as some might.

Think of it as being not much different from any shorter journey, just more time to kill.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 7:04 am

I prefer to travel alone be it airplanes, bus, trains and have done so constantly.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2015, 11:05 am

Of course, I've done that many times, since my mom lives in Las Vegas, and I'm in southern California so it's about an hour's flight. I'd also fly to other cities if I wanted to, or had to for business.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 11:09 am

I do so all of the time. I use e-tickets or smartphone tickets and pack only carry-on so that I can make sure I am in and out of the airport as fast a possible and use Bose Noise Cancelling headphones in the airport and on the plane.

Figure out where you airport/plane stress points are and figure out how to compensate for them within the system and you should be fine.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 11:18 am

Yeah of course. Yup I've done that too

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 12:52 pm

demeus wrote:
Figure out where you airport/plane stress points are and figure out how to compensate for them within the system and you should be fine.

Excellent advice! When I was younger, I thought "planning" meant figuring out every external step based on the end goal & planning contingencies should things go wrong. It quickly turned into an ever-expanding tree of possibilities. Keeping track of them was itself a cause of stress.

It turns out that as a AS person, what "planning" really means for me to be successful is figuring out the most likely internal triggers of mine and preparing proven workarounds for them. If I can do that, it's much easier to accommodate random events.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 12:56 pm

I did once.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 12:57 pm

My Aspie friend did - he even went to China and back (at least 12 hour flight one way). I couldn't even do that. 8O

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 1:10 pm

I love flying! Especially the take-offs and landings.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 6:20 pm

Flying in a jet airplane does not bother me whatsoever. Flying in a single engine plane where I am sitting in the cockpit along with the pilot does freak me out, the noise in unpressurized cabins is bothersome as well. At least on a jet plane I can just pretend I am in a room or a vehicle and don't have to look outside. I do hate being cramped though, some air liners are like sardine cans. I need my personal space, or I get agitated.