Do Aspies tend to have darker than average eyes?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm

I woke up thinking about this. Especially when I was younger I had very dark eyes. My eyes are dark brown now, but when I was a child they were almost black. I've been noticing on a subconscious level that Aspies tend to have darker than average eyes. Anyone else notice this, or am I just seeing things? No pun intended. :)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

cw10 wrote:
I woke up thinking about this. Especially when I was younger I had very dark eyes. My eyes are dark brown now, but when I was a child they were almost black. I've been noticing on a subconscious level that Aspies tend to have darker than average eyes. Anyone else notice this, or am I just seeing things? No pun intended. :)

How can blue eyes be darker than average? Or hazel or green? I guess I'm not sure what I would call darker.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 4:55 pm

not necessarily, I know at least one guy w/ AS who has blue eyes

TB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 4:58 pm

my eyes are like black holes, for some reason the pupil is always very large. Of course i dont know if its always but the times i check in the mirror it is. And from what other people have told me.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

My eyes change color. The frequency of their changing color has varied through the years. There was once a time at the DMV that I wasn't sure what color to put down for my license, since the color changed pretty evenly between a bright green to a darkened blue -- with an occasional greyish coloration. As for 'darkness', I've found that, looking into a mirror, I'm able to darken the very outside of the eyes' coloration to a dark blue while the color rings immediately next to my pupils stay greenish. I'm not sure if it has to do with some change in blood pressure, emotion, or what...

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 5:35 pm

Peko wrote:
not necessarily, I know at least one guy w/ AS who has blue eyes

I'm sure it's not "the rule", maybe an indicator possibly? And as for your friend he's one of those who doesn't exhibit this artifact (sorry couldn't think of the right word there) it seems maybe?

I'd be interested if there's something to this, or I'm just blowing wind. Heh. Either way I think the data would be useful.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 6:21 pm

I highly doubt it. My eyes are nearly black, but my entire family had the same.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 7:07 pm

Pupils or irises?

My irises are blue.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 7:14 pm

I have greenish-grey eyes. I am fairly certain my nephew has Aspergers and he does have dark brown eyes. So does his mother. And the ASD was passed through my side of the family not hers (my brother has very pale green eyes).

Malisha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2011, 7:17 pm

I can answer your question if you tell me what constitutes "average" eyes.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

I don't think the gene for eye color and gene for AS have any inter-relation

Beabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2011, 8:54 pm

My eyes are a really light blue.
Plus I dont think eye colour is linked with AS

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 2:10 am

Interesting. :) So I was seeing things. Okay then.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 2:19 am

Malisha wrote:
I can answer your question if you tell me what constitutes "average" eyes.

There is truth to this statement. Well consider most people I've met and I've met quite a few people, have a general tone to their eye color. Very few people actually stand out with brightly colored eyes (or intensely?), and you tend to really notice those who do because it is so unusual. I don't know, I did notice something, it could be the interaction with the iris vs. the pupil. Maybe at least in some aspie cases those who are primary visual cortex thinkers, seem to have a wider pupil aperture than normal.

I don't know, there's something that's bugging me about it. *Something* in the eyes that seems different, aside from the usual asperger type nuances.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 2:29 am

My eyes are Dark Brown.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 2:34 am

The genes for eye color and Autism (presuming Autism is purely-genetic) needn't be directly-related if there exists within the population individuals in whom certain types of traits (recessive ones, for instance) tend to observably-cluster.

~editing photo for size~

Me.

My somewhere-on-the spectrum dad has similar eyes, as did the one Aspie my age I've known.

Who knows?

to his Interest."