RAADS-R: Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults

Page 1 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 11:31 pm

Link :arrow: The Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale-Revised (RAADS-R): A Scale to Assist the Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults

I just discovered this test. It is apparently the most cutting-edge clinical diagnostic tool being used for AS and HFA.
The only drawback here is you have to sort through the study to find the questionnaire, understand what the scores mean and how to calculate it. Plus you can't just click to answer questions. You actually have to write stuff down. But it is worth it. The 80 questions took me about 35 minutes to answer.

The questionnaire itself is about halfway down the page. The scoring rubric is all the way at the bottom.
The general cutoff for diagnosis is, according to the study:
"A score of 65 or greater is consistent with a clinical diagnosis of ASD. A score of 64 or lower is not consistent with a diagnosis of ASD."

I took it earlier this evening and scored 196.
The highest recorded score in the study was 227.
Average score for AS was about 132.
Average score for NT was about 22

I would be really interested to see what you score and what you think about this test. thanks :)

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2011, 12:14 am

I scored 104

matt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 12:44 am

Some questions were confusing so I did not answer:

"I only like to talk to people who share my special interests."
I prefer to talk about my interests if I am going to be talking, but I usually prefer not to talk.

"I do not connect with characters in movies and cannot feel what they feel."
I don't understand what this means.

"I like to have close friends."
I have a friend who I consider a good friend but who I haven't seen in a very long time, but I don't have anyone who I think others would consider a close friend. I would be sad if my friend wasn't my friend, but I don't feel a need to regularly have interaction with many people.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Jun 2011, 12:53 am

Hmm, 201.

I had a couple of confusing questions I said "Never" to because I didn't understand what they meant.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 1:05 am

I scored about 170. I probably would have scored higher but I didn't understand some of the questions so I answered "never".

I don't know how I feel about this test, it ask' a lot of absolute questions that don't have absolute answers. I think it would be better if it had a severity scale. maybe one scale for below 16, and one for now. I know that some things that bothered me a ton as a kid still bother me, but not as badly, and vice versa.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 1:40 am

200 even, PDD-NOS. I have a pretty wide symptom spread (i.e., have a lot of ASD traits) despite that many of them are not extreme. I'm pretty sure the high number doesn't indicate severity, just number of symptoms--a lot of these screening tests have that issue. Someone could have a score of 100 and have those 100 things be pretty extreme, and thus need more help than me with my 200. I hope the people using this rating scale will keep that in mind.

Some of these may be confusing to people who have figurative-language issues, though. I'm not sure the test is properly designed to be used by autistics with language problems in general... I would have, for example, been quite confused as a teen by being asked whether I kept my thoughts on filing cards, even after I learned how to understand phrases like "he keeps his heart on his sleeve".

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Jun 2011, 1:51 am

The only reason I understood the filing cards question is that I had read so many metaphors by other autistic people about how they organize their thoughts, and I wrote my own metaphor here a few months ago, so I could say "Oh, this must be that thing." IF someone had asked me last year, I probably would have said "no" because it would not have made any sense to me.

And yes to number of symptoms vs. severity. I think someone linked a test here a few months ago that also tested severity, although a flat score at the end doesn't seem helpful for that.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2011, 2:47 am

A lot of the questions I found difficult to answer with those available options.

By only answering questions that I felt I could give accurate responses to, I got 112 (ie. left many blank - ie. zero score)

When I went thru and answered ALL the questions the best I could, I got 175.

I haven't looked into any indepth analysis - the whole thing is actually painful and cluttered / confusing for me to look at - just getting the test done and scored was quite difficult.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:29 am

I've got 135. I also feel a lot of questions are difficult to answer. The options and the questions combined tend to be too polarized, I struggled with that.

I find time discrimination is a bit too arbitrary. I would choose either a younger or an older limit in some cases. Some cognitive development is expectable way over the age of 16, some alterations in the personality are already done before that age.

The questions are still somewhat oblivious with certain ways of stimming, like scents, touch, sounds (music).

nikoa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2011, 3:38 am

I scored 97.

I really don't find self in repetitive behavior, i like changes, if there is not changes I'm bored, also i like metaphors, understand and use them.
Also question for no tolerances light or loud voice are always negative.

I have found self in difficulties socialize, like don't know when is my turn to speak, my voice and language is different and i hard make friends and can't keep them at all and strange obsession which sometimes make me suffer.

Lot of tests online, advises rare and 2months i know that i have asperger and that do not help me, same situation, no friends, no job.

Last edited by nikoa on 07 Jun 2011, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:47 am

I scored a 112

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:34 am

"I often use words and phrases from movies and television in conversations."

When I was a child, we didn't watch much TV back then in the 70s. I didn't speak much that time either. I used to repeat children's rhymes and tunes I'd learned in playschool and kindergarten or what my mother read or sang to me. Now I seldom if ever watch TV and rarely see movies. I can still cite sentences of certain TV programs from my childhood, but I've never used phrases and words like that. So, eventually, I scored zero.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Jun 2011, 5:54 am

Hmm, I scored 220.

Similar problems as others with some questions - for example "I always notice how food feels in my mouth. This is more important to me than how it tastes."
I always do notice and it's sometimes a distraction from the taste, but never more important than the taste.
This was resolved only because it was more of an issue when I was younger than 16 - otherwise it would have been unanswerable.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2011, 6:24 am

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

Namekujisan
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jun 2011, 7:01 am

Namekujisan
Butterfly