Burnout and Increased mutism + Reduced verbal skills

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 8:18 pm

I was wondering if anyone has experienced increased mutism and a reduction in verbal ability while suffering from autistic burnout?

I've been increasingly burnt out for months, and I have found that for the past few weeks that I am rendered mute a lot. I can't get over the anxiety to speak to most people, and can't force myself to speak. When I do speak I can't really formulate my thoughts well, and I noticed my intonation and inflection + other aspects of my speech are much more odd than usual. I feel like I talk very "stereotypically" now, which makes me self conscious and makes me find it even harder to talk. People are starting to not understand the way I word things and how I speak, and it's frustrating me.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 9:42 am

You might try something like Toastmasters, a social group that works to improve their public speaking skills.

Since it would be initially a group of strangers you might not have the anxiety you would have with people you know. At least they would be sympathetic to someone with difficulty in speaking.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 10:25 am

i experience this also.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 2:25 pm

The OP perfectly describes what I experience.
I go mute or produce unitelligible word salad and my voice gets more 'flat effect'.
People at work seem to find my increased flat effect amusing, WTF is up with that?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2023, 1:57 am

Similar to the OP when I am overwhelmed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman