Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2011, 8:07 pm

My college is doing a walk-a-thon for Autism Speaks and I was thinking about going to their event. However, seeing that it has (or still might have) a bad reputation here on Wrong Planet, I'm a bit unsure if I should attend. If they have gotten better and shine a more positive light on Autism, I might consider going. If they are still a bad image to those with Autism, then I might change plans. So have they really changed there image? I would like to know soon.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 8:13 pm

I've been seeing lots of commercials for one of their walks. I see lots of people holding signs that say, "Everyone deserves to be heard!" The cameras didn't zoom in enough for me to see, but I'm willing to bet these signs had little asterisks next to the phrase, with the fine print reading, "Actual autistic people excluded."

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 8:24 pm

There was a local walk last weekend. I was going until I read what it said on the website. It was very negative about Autism, so I didn't go.

The website said everday parents hear the devestating news their child is Autistic. I understand Autism is challenging, but I don't read the same kind of dramatic language on other sites for people with disabilities. I mean, it was like reading a website about a cancer organization ffs.

SilasP
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2011, 8:37 pm

PHISHA51 wrote:
So have they really changed there image?

Well, they still have that puzzle-piece logo. :roll:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 8:52 pm

I dislike all kinds of walks, autism-related or not. Just give the $$$ and dispense with the walking already.