Fathers age at your birth, how to do poll?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

hate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2006, 2:07 pm

http://www.wrongplanet.net/article344.html
http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/conten ... type=HWCIT

The study focus on Kanner autism and not on AS, even though they include all ASD. So I suggest we have an poll but I dont know how to make it good. Any suggestions?

<-29
30-39
40->
40-> my parents got childs late due to AS or my older siblings got AS as well

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 2:23 pm

this topic has already been posted like 100 times already dude

lawpoop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2006, 2:33 pm

My dad was like 26 when my mom was pregnant.

But correlation is not causation. What about this idea: Men on the AS spectrum would have a harder time building their life to the point where they can support a child ( i.e. steady S.O., savings, decent job, etc. ) , so they have children later, and those children are more likely to be on the spectrum.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 2:51 pm

That makes a LOT of sense.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 11:52 am

My father was 25 at my birth.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 3:14 pm

lawpoop wrote:
My dad was like 26 when my mom was pregnant.

But correlation is not causation. What about this idea: Men on the AS spectrum would have a harder time building their life to the point where they can support a child ( i.e. steady S.O., savings, decent job, etc. ) , so they have children later, and those children are more likely to be on the spectrum.

I think you're close but I think its a more like both men and women who start making babies later in life have Aspergers, HFA, Bi-polar or OCD going on. People with those challenges take longer to succeed in life where they can find a partner and afford to raise a child. I don't really think there is a direct link to age. Age is just getting the blame. I think people that have Autism on any part of the spectrum make Autistic babies and it just so happens they don't end up making those babies till they are older. It appears that someone who is on the spectrum ends up having a child even lower on the spectrum. This statement comes from observing the many moms of auties I have talked to and they almost always have Autie or Aspie traits themselves or their husbands do.

I think like attracts alike. Both my parents certainly possess some Aspie behaviors though neither was diagnosed with any sort of disability as far as I know. My mom was born prematurely weighing only 3.5 lbs which is amazing back in 1940's that a baby so premature ever survived. I think her premature birth is why she is unable to cope with the world. I volunteered for the NICU (preemie intensive care) and was instructed on how too much light, noise or touch from the world can damage the nervous system of preemies. My mom was 26 and my dad 32 when I was born. I am lower functioning than my dad, but much higher functioning than my mom.