Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 7:29 pm

So, where do i start...

today i went to a psychiatrist (don't ask me why) and he said i needed no dope and that i am an aspie and also schizotypal. all this after, at most, a 20 minute period of dealing with him. is it possible to be both? isn't it a common misdiagnosis of asperger's?

i wonder about this because the first idiot i ever saw labeled me as having a personality disorder, the second one said i might be schizoid and gave me some dope, which i took thinking something was horribly wrong with me, and which of course gave me breasts and other horrible side effects. the next 2 psychologists never said i had anything, then there were a few that labelled me only as an aspie including one guy who was the only one to do a full psychological evaluation of me.

also, i don't like being labelled schizotypal. how do i eliminate this diagnosis?

also, do these sorts of diagnosis effect ones gun ownership rights? i've always worried about that. i used to target shoot as a kid and if i ever have the money to do that again i'd like to try it and maybe hunting.

Last edited by oldmantime on 15 Jun 2011, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 7:32 pm

it sounds like you've had a bunch of incompetant therapists who were a little to ready to give out diagnosis.

if you don't feel it fits you then it probably doesn't, a dx should feel right.

being schizoid wont affect your gun ownership.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

it's not the same as schizoid, and apparently there's a high relationship between schizotypals and schizophrenics, hence why i hate the label.

are there any docs on this site? i'd like a response from them if possible.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 8:05 pm

oldmantime wrote:
So, where do i start...

today i went to a psychiatrist (don't ask me why) and he said i needed no dope and that i am also schizotypal. all this after, at most, a 20 minute period of dealing with him. is it possible to be both? isn't it a common misdiagnosis of asperger's?

i wonder about this because the first idiot i ever saw labeled me as having a personality disorder, the second one said i might be schizoid and gave me some dope, which i took thinking something was horribly wrong with me, and which of course gave me breasts and other horrible side effects. the next 2 psychologists never said i had anything, then there were a few that labelled me only as an aspie including one guy who was the only one to do a full psychological evaluation of me.

also, i don't like being labelled schizotypal. how do i eliminate this diagnosis?

also, do these sorts of diagnosis effect ones gun ownership rights? i've always worried about that. i used to target shoot as a kid and if i ever have the money to do that again i'd like to try it and maybe hunting.

Schizotypal personality disorder can appear similar to AS. I think I would have asked this psychiatrist why he thought you had schizotypal personality disorder as opposed to AS or schizoid personality disorder.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 8:09 pm

actually, i think he is going to list asperger's as axis I and then schizotypal as axis II.

i guess i need to correct my first post.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

Yes, schizofrenia is a common misdiagnosis of Asperger's. To start with, I dont think a psychologist should give you a diagnosis. They are not even doctors. You need a neurologist to get an appropriate diagnosis. A neurologist will ran a series of tests, including measurement of your cerebral activity, to get the right diagnosis. That's the way my daughter got diagnosed after several psychiatrists provided different theories and tried different approaches, all wrong.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

Psychologists here who have the proper training are most certainly qualified to diagnose Aspergers and autism. You don't have to go to a neurologist. I think most people here were diagnosed by psychologists--if they weren't allowed to do it, my diagnosis would not be accepted through my school or my government (for student loan purposes). It is accepted by both!

That being said, it takes more than 20 minutes to diagnose ASD. I don't know about the schizophrenia spectrum, but for the autism spectrum their is standardized testing that is supposed to be done, and without that the diagnosis is incomplete (I know this because I have had an incomplete diagnosis such as this--but longer than 20 minutes--and have to get re-assessed somewhere else for a proper report).

According to the DSM-IV--which your psychologist is supposed to be using :? -- you cannot be diagnosed with both. Check out the following link:

http://counsellingresource.com/lib/dist ... -symptoms/

Criteria B says that schizotypal does not occur with a PDD which includes Aspergers. The two can have similar symptoms though, which is why I think this criteria exists: to determine which one is the root of a person's symptoms. Anyway, your psychologist should have known this, and I would get a second opinion if I was you.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:08 pm

this latest guy that diagnosed me as both was a psychiatrist. the one that diagnosed me as asperger's and put me through an 8 hour test was a psychologist. a state agency that's supposed to be helping me out sent me to a psychologist for the first diagnoses they got, then decided to send me to a psychiatrist for another diagnoses for what reason i'm no sure. the person at the state agency that's supposed to be helping me seemed rather insistent that i had symptoms of being schizoid, schizotypal and having paranoid personality disorder even after the psychologist did an 8 hour test on me and listed me as asperger's for axis I and nothing for axis II. then that person sent me to the apparently quack psychiatrist i saw today.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Psychologists here who have the proper training are most certainly qualified to diagnose Aspergers and autism. You don't have to go to a neurologist. I think most people here were diagnosed by psychologists--if they weren't allowed to do it, my diagnosis would not be accepted through my school or my government (for student loan purposes). It is accepted by both!

That being said, it takes more than 20 minutes to diagnose ASD. I don't know about the schizophrenia spectrum, but for the autism spectrum their is standardized testing that is supposed to be done, and without that the diagnosis is incomplete (I know this because I have had an incomplete diagnosis such as this--but longer than 20 minutes--and have to get re-assessed somewhere else for a proper report).

According to the DSM-IV--which your psychologist is supposed to be using :? -- you cannot be diagnosed with both. Check out the following link:

Criteria B says that schizotypal does not occur with a PDD which includes Aspergers. The two can have similar symptoms though, which is why I think this criteria exists: to determine which one is the root of a person's symptoms. Anyway, your psychologist should have known this, and I would get a second opinion if I was you.

and where do you see that you can't have both?

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

oldmantime wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

I believe I just told you that: criteria B. Go read it, it says it cannot be present with a PDD. I thought I just said that.....

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

B. Does not occur exclusively during the course of Schizophrenia, a Mood Disorder With Psychotic Features, another Psychotic Disorder, or a Pervasive Developmental Disorder

Aspergers is a Pervasive Developmental Disorder. According to the DSM-IV which is the one currently in use, a person cannot have a PDD and schizotypal.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

oldmantime wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

It's true that the definition of AS in the DSM-IV excludes a diagnosis of a schizophrenia spectrum disorder. However scientifically there is no known reason as to why the two wouldn't be able to exist together.

But by the DSM-IV
If you have AS traits and no paranoia or strange ideas then they say it's AS. If you have AS traits and paranoia or strange ideas then they say it's a schizophrenia spectrum disorder.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:38 pm

how do you tell if you're paranoid and have strange ideas? especially strange ideas, what's a strange idea?

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
oldmantime wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

I believe I just told you that: criteria B. Go read it, it says it cannot be present with a PDD. I thought I just said that.....

sorry.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

Chronos wrote:
However scientifically there is no known reason as to why the two wouldn't be able to exist together.

Is that scientifically true :?: (my question mark isn`t working right now). I mean, what reasons have been given for why the two are exclusive :?: There must be some reason, and the two must differ somewhere or else there would be one spectrum instead of two separate ones....

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm

oldmantime wrote:
how do you tell if you're paranoid and have strange ideas? especially strange ideas, what's a strange idea?
A diagnosis of schizotypal personality usually includes magical thinking. That is, believing that events that are unrelated to each other can influence one another's outcome. For instance, thinking that if you don't walk in a certain pattern then some catastrophe will occur. It also includes believing in signs and meaningful coincidences. For instance, you might think that a random billboard has hidden messages that are intended only for you.