Are you good at making accents , vocies, copying people

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

aspardon
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jun 2011, 11:01 pm

I fidn I am almost as good as impersonatign as the dudes that are on tv doing it.

I wodner if this is due to aspergers. I feel as akid I alwas had no vocie, I used to copy the sayings and vocie of the coolest kid and my best freind in school. This worked well for me.

I also find I can copy any celberity or nationality and make their voice identical without even much effort. Eg. I was in Thiland and I learn some Thai words by copying them and the Thai people say I was so good I sound liek Thai person. Whereas other people even if they say the thia words the dont use the proper accent and phrasing etc off the words.

I wonder if aspergers enables you to learn and pick up and copy the voices in a way for example you would imagine a parrott or a robot lol?

Or can you not do this?

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 11:08 pm

I don't know if its related to AS or not, but I have always been good at accents and copying people's voices too. I have a good memory for the way that words sound and am able to pronounce them with good accuracy. All of this has made learning foreign languages quite easy.

I lived in Japan for a year and no one could tell I was American on the phone (since they could not see my face). It was quite amusing at times.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 11:08 pm

Nope.

I do have the occasional compulsion to mimic accents of those around me if they're particularly strong - e.g. my last manager was from Texas, the one before was from Scotland, I slipped into their accents a little, but I think this is normal for most people. I am terrible at accents, I can't even manage to mimic my local accent, friends and family always mock me for trying or when I slip into using local dialect.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm

I used to mimic accents all the time. Mostly, I mimic cats.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm

Animal sounds maybe... Cant really do voices

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 11:58 pm

I'm not very good at doing that. I even sing with a Cockney accent.

zobier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2011, 12:30 am

I am human parrot.

Hands
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2011, 12:43 am

Yes, but not if I consciously try to do it. It happens without any effort on my part.

mynameisledzeppelin
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2011, 1:14 am

I haven't done it in a while, but I used to do at least a couple decent impressions. I can also mimic accents/dialects pretty well, cats and dogs too.
I think I have good pitch while singing too, only I don't do it enough to be sure or have a second opinion.

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2011, 1:26 am

I was born in Russia but I moved to Brookline, Massachusetts, when I was a little kid. Most people say that I have a Boston accent and I live in Texas now. My mother and grandmother have thick Russian accents, they both came to the U.S. when they were adults, and they are both NT. I had an English language tutor that my mom hired a few months before the big move to the U.S., I learned the rest of the English language on my own using a Russian-English dictionary and a notebook within 6 months after living in the U.S.

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2011, 1:33 am

Not sure if I'm good at it, but I definitely do a lot of accent mimicking, from singing along with the song artists' different accents to adopting the accent appropriate to whatever I'm saying. I tend to borrow phrases or sometimes just the tone of voice from tv and movie characters.

But at the same time I've got a sort-of speech impediment? I just have a noticeably strange voice for which I was once put into speech therapy. And there's a massive difference in the voice I hear in my head and the voice that's actually coming out of my mouth, so maybe I just think I'm good at accents. XD

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 3:45 am

I'm good with accents. I've a very good ear for them and can often tell which part of the UK a person is from, down to the county or even city, even the more obscure (not just Liverpool, Birmingham, etc). I never have trouble telling if someone is Canadian, rather than American, which is a common mistake among my fellow Brits.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 5:32 am

i'm not good with accents or voices at all.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Klokateer666
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2011, 6:50 am

I've been decent with accents but I'm usually better when it comes to mimicking voices. Metalocalypse characters happen to be a specialty. I can do a perfect Nathan Explosion voice and my Skwisgaar and Murderface impressions are pretty good too.

SilverSolace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jun 2011, 10:00 am

In my opinion, I am good at mimicking accents and some voices. I can always hear the accent; the individual parts of the sound. With practice I feel I can become adept at using any accent. I tend to have a harder time copying actual voices, as I tend to have a naturally higher pitched voice; that makes it easier to mimic some Japanese voices and younger voices though.

I can also mimic some kinds of animal noises, if I am allowed to practice. Unfortunately, family members are less tolerant of howling or barking than they are attempts at foreign accents, and usually tell me to stop it if I try. (when I was younger, if a dog or wolf howled or barked or growled in a tv or movie, I would howl or bark or growl along with it, and if I could I would rewind and replay, and continued to do it as many times as I could before someone would become annoyed and make me stop.)

I will slip up into various accents, real or fake, at random. My most recent accent/voice I am falling into is the one used by Clarice Starling from Silence of the Lambs, who is played by Jodie Foster. West Virginia I think that accent is or at least it's supposed to be?

I've always been fascinated by sounds from people and animals since I was young. It all fits in there with my special interest in languages in general, I think.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:08 pm

I'm working on mimicking British accents. I've gotten a lot better at it than I used to be, especially considering that my favorite TV shows are from the UK.