Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2019, 1:38 pm

Hello all.

first, my history:

I am 61.

For years i was considered "weird" and taunted about it. I kept a full time job, but just barely. When I told ohter how scared i was I was accused of exaggerating cause "no one is that scared all the time.'

I had all the signs of menopause at 28 but the gyne didn't believe me and gave my birth control pills, which helped for a while, but gave me migraines. Stopped at 41, went crazy, and was diagnosed with difficult meno, and anxiety. I didnt even know anxiety was treatable or even a thing. i just thought i was a wimp like everyone said. the same ppl who didnt believe me asked why I never told them how bad it was.

Aftre years of psychiatric care i learned I alos have depression, ocd, and ptsd from a number of emotionally abusive ppl. Absolutly no ADHD. I have physical issues as well. when the doc said I might have autism. he said there was no reason to go for a diagnosis unless i wanted to, as I'd obviously learned to cope. So I haven't yet.

a former friend attacked me when i told her I might be autistic she said I was lying or had Munchausens, and even if I did i must be high functioning(which i never said otherwise). she said she knew 2 autistic children who are both non verbal and have meltdown and that even autistics who are, as she said "pleasant and nice" can never live alone or hold jobs. I knew this was wrong. she htought the most important htinsg about those two kids was thier behavior isn't their parents' fault. so after a long flame war i broke off all contact with her. the saddest thing is her daughter ghosted me.

I started thinking about diagnosis just to prove her wrong but thought that wasn't an adequte reason. Then i thoguht that understanding myself better could only be a good thing, even if i dont ever tell ex friend about it. My mother had no idea and knows little about autism but thinks it would be wodnerful if a diagnosis coudl help me.

the biggest problem is I dont' drive and the only place si coudl be tested are far enough away i'd need a ride form a friend.

So i'm tryign to decicde. I will probably do it but i'be had bad psychiatric experiences and I am scared of the tests. How long might a psycheval take and what would be involved are my big questions.

please tell me how it was for you if you did this.

thank you!

working on getting diagnosed either way

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2019, 8:20 am

tl,dr? here's the main thing:

So i'm tryign to decicde. I will probably do it but i'be had bad psychiatric experiences and I am scared of the tests. How long might a psycheval take and what would be involved are my big questions.

please tell me how it was for you if you did this.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 9:24 am

First step would be to see whether or not your insurance covers it.

In Connecticut an assessment runs around $1500 for adults.

There are autistic people with good jobs and relationships, but those people are usually too busy to spend a lot of time answering questions on this forum. The significant other usually comes first.

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2019, 9:34 am

"There are autistic people with good jobs and relationships, " Of course there are. I was married for 32 years. I was only able to work full time for a few years though.

Any idea how long the test is and what it involves/ i will be callig them soon but would like to hear from anyo who has had one.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 5:00 pm

I am 61 years old also. My diagnosis at age 55 helped me understand myself a lot.

If this person is really your friend this person will find the time to get you to the clinician. Do you have any siblings that can drive you? Siblings can also confirm autistic behaviors when you were a child. Your mom can do that also even though she does not recognize them as autistic traits.

Some of the tests can be done via email saving you a few trips.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2019, 11:19 am

I have a friend who will drive me. My therapist is collecitn insurance info and iwll get back ot me. so now I wait.

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2019, 9:19 am

update-the referral has been sent in an dthey shoudl call me soon. i hace a ride and my insurance covers it.

Meanwhile, its scary to thin kof 3 hours of testing. I have lots of other worse than-usual for me stressor-sletters and report on abad hospitasl experince, chnages in meds, more appointment than usual, an aprtmenty inspection folloiwing complainst about oder, which are form a dog peeing in the hall. NOT my cat's box as they claim.

so my therapis thingk i shoudl deal with the inreased anxiety by gopgin to my anixety support groups. I love ot but can't spare the time- 4 hours including waiting for rides. or yoga, or some other clas, or whatver. ro a diabtest support group!

my anxiety is increased bu havign too much to do and medical adjustments. i know it would not help make me even more overlodad with things to do. sheesh. I hate therapy, have had many bad experiences, and only go because they wont give me meds otherwise. This one is better than most, but i toally diagreeon what she said.

The psych nurse and i are workign on the right dose of trazane. every few days to a week it stops working an di increase it slightly. So about half the time my anxiety is undertreated and I can't sleep. this alternates with great slpeep and the least depression i've ever had.

they just called. I have an appointment ot meet the doc for a pretestign introduction.