Can too much awareness of HFA be a negative thing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 5:59 pm

Too much awareness of HFA can be a negative thing; as too much awareness (common with concerned family/friends) can render even well meaning people to retrieve into a "tunnel vision" of sorts.

It's important for people with HFA to have allies who can "step (and act) outside the box" in considering (or reconsidering) what can actually bring positive results regarding HFA; as opposed to well meaning people becoming trapped in that "same old same old" e.g., that "cycle of tunnel vision."

From my own personal experiences (as well as other experiences from people with HFA), NT people who demonstrate that "healthy balance" of understanding/experiences with HFA, and encourage important examples of a largely NT world can prove to be beneficial allies.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2019, 10:07 pm

I haven't really run into problems with people who have too much awareness about autism. I'm autistic and had a successful career, so I might be called 'high functioning', although I don't favor that term because it makes it sound as if the person doesn't have impairments or deficits that can seriously impact quality of life. But very, very few people I've known have had any meaningful understanding of autism whatsoever (outside of therapists and counselors). A person with significant understanding of autism would realize that no two people with autism are alike and that our needs and personalities are unique. Hopefully that would lead them to avoid stereotyping or tunnel vision. I can see where people who are being supportive could fall into the "same old same old" trap like you mention though. I could certainly use support or accommodation once in awhile, like at crowded social events in a setting I'm unfamiliar with where I don't know anyone. But it's important to go beyond our comfort zone occasionally, so I can see how allies or support people could fall into the trap of limiting the autistic person by shielding them from challenges. Just in my own case, I live alone - don't have anyone in the role of ally or to act in a supportive fashion where we might fall into the trap you describe.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 11:45 am

EyeDash wrote:
I haven't really run into problems with people who have too much awareness about autism. I'm autistic and had a successful career, so I might be called 'high functioning', although I don't favor that term because it makes it sound as if the person doesn't have impairments or deficits that can seriously impact quality of life. But very, very few people I've known have had any meaningful understanding of autism whatsoever (outside of therapists and counselors). A person with significant understanding of autism would realize that no two people with autism are alike and that our needs and personalities are unique. Hopefully that would lead them to avoid stereotyping or tunnel vision. I can see where people who are being supportive could fall into the "same old same old" trap like you mention though. I could certainly use support or accommodation once in awhile, like at crowded social events in a setting I'm unfamiliar with where I don't know anyone. But it's important to go beyond our comfort zone occasionally, so I can see how allies or support people could fall into the trap of limiting the autistic person by shielding them from challenges. Just in my own case, I live alone - don't have anyone in the role of ally or to act in a supportive fashion where we might fall into the trap you describe.

Thank-you soooooo much for your response!

By any chance, do you live in or near Boulder or Denver? I ask this because I strongly feel that liberal/progressive minded cities might yield beneficial experiences crucial for those concerned with HFA.

From my own experiences, the progressive orientated schools I attended were helpful; long before the Autism Spectrum was acknowledged / understood.

I look forward to additional responses on a topic that receives too little coverage; that is how too much awareness of HFA can be unfavorable!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 11:51 am

It really depends on who you tell. I have some really smart friends who understand the uniqueness of people on the spectrum.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 5:38 pm

I think that today, we're in what I like to call "awareness danger zone". It means people know enough about autism/AS/ASD/HFA to mock it and/or use it against us, but not enough to relate to people with those conditions, or at least treat it as just another human trait. Heck, terms like "autist" and "sperg" are becoming catch-all insults for any awkward person, be it physically or socially. It will be a few more decades until autism gets normalized, and treated with nonchalance.

Basically, autistics today are like gay men in 1990's. It was a time when the expression "that's so gay!" was an insult, and if a man was actually gay, he made sure nobody found out. Today, nobody cares if someone is straight or LGBT, except in very conservative circles. By year 2050, it'll be like that with autism. The more thing change, the more they stay the same.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 9:02 pm

As mentioned in original post, people with genuine concerns for HFA might "do the wrong things for the right reasons" e.g., encouraging resources for HFAs that are best geared towards classic autism - sometimes within the context of too much awareness!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 9:23 pm

OP: can you give me examples of what you mean as "tunnel vision" within the context of your post?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 11:00 pm

Magna wrote:
OP: can you give me examples of what you mean as "tunnel vision" within the context of your post?

It's complicated to put to words why people with genuine concerns, and understanding of what resources are important for HFA, can fall into that "tunnel vision" yielding results which become detrimental to HFA.

Just from my own experiences, emotions can "get in the way," and hence cancel-out mindful approaches to HFA. The adage (modified), "the road to hell is paved with good [focused, tunnel-vision] intentions." deserves mention.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 11:25 am

Quote:
Can Too Much Awareness Of HFA Be A Negative Thing?

Yes. It is annoying when someone mansplains autism to me because they watched some video... or when they are like "That guy's a jerk. I think he's autistic." because all they got from that informational video was that autistic people are difficult and annoying.

I'm a somewhat twitchy female with resting happy face. These kind of things get said to me sometimes, I think because I strike the perfect balance of appearing 1. approachable and 2. not like the stereotype of an autistic person.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 1:38 pm

A previous post in this discussion thread brought attention to "an awareness danger zone" - where too much awareness can bring-out ignorance, stereotypes, etc.

As mentioned, too much awareness from people, and resources having thoughtful concerns for HFA can also yield negative results. Take HFA resources for example: Those allied with HFA concerns often experience difficulties "getting on the same page" so to speak.

Many non-profit resources depend heavily on volunteer efforts - which are often spotty yet well meaning. Resources often receive funding from grants, and government funds. Hence, resources can become heavily orientated by expediencies; that is necessary progress helpful for HFA can happen way too slowly.

A favorable example of a resource concerned with HFA is www.aane.org - AANE seems to provide examples of best practices regarding HFA resources.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 8:39 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
A previous post in this discussion thread brought attention to "an awareness danger zone" - where too much awareness can bring-out ignorance, stereotypes, etc.

As mentioned, too much awareness from people, and resources having thoughtful concerns for HFA can also yield negative results. Take HFA resources for example: Those allied with HFA concerns often experience difficulties "getting on the same page" so to speak.

Many non-profit resources depend heavily on volunteer efforts - which are often spotty yet well meaning. Resources often receive funding from grants, and government funds. Hence, resources can become heavily orientated by expediencies; that is necessary progress helpful for HFA can happen way too slowly.

A favorable example of a resource concerned with HFA is http://www.aane.org - AANE seems to provide examples of best practices regarding HFA resources.

ADDENDUM: Anybody aware of, or had experiences with The Asperger / Autism Network (AANE) www.aane.org ? What can be learned from AANE in addressing concerns of HFA?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 12:14 am

I think that the world has enough awareness. What we need now is autism acceptance.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 7:56 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that the world has enough awareness. What we need now is autism acceptance.

Yes, boosting acceptance is a must! Part of boosting Autism acceptance is applying that healthy balance of self-advocacy with resources focused on handling the more mundane, overlooked aspects of just what HFA entails.

Can resources such as The Asperger / Autism Network of New England (AANE) www.aane.org demonstrate best practices on just what HFA resources must become?

As mentioned in original post: From my own personal experiences (as well as other experiences from people with HFA), NT people who demonstrate that "healthy balance" of understanding/experiences with HFA, and encourage important examples of a largely NT world can prove to be beneficial allies.

And, yes, it's tiring to engage in these "semantic gymnastics" in defining the roles of HFA, HFA resources, NTs, etc, etc.

In closing, discussions regarding that "healthy balance" of awareness/acceptance must receive an adequate follow-through!