Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

AdamFrancis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jun 2011, 7:46 am

Is anyone else here diagnosed with Prosopagnosia? Or do You have serious difficulties to distinguish people from one another?? Thanks.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:14 am

I guess I do. I was never able to distuingish my own mother's face until my late teens. Once when wating for my brother outside a restroom, I had to remember what he was wearing in order to find him. My mother dosen't beleive this because I should be able to make out my own brother, but I was telling the truth.

My aunt worked for a man from India and I forget why but she said that he told her, "All you white people look alike." I am white and I agree with this. I think all black and Asian people look alike as well. I made by as a kid by remembering what people wore. I can only imagine what it would have been like if I went to a school with a uniform policy. I would probably learn how to pick people out by their hair and can only imagine what it is like for Japanese kids who have this condition.

AdamFrancis

17 Jun 2011, 8:29 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
My aunt worked for a man from India and I forget why but she said that he told her, "All you white people look alike." I am white and I agree with this. I think all black and Asian people look alike as well.

:lol: That is funny. Yes, I feel the same and I too, am quite greatful that I live in Europe, where people have mostly at least different colour of hair or eyes (but I do not really like to look in the eyes :lol: ..). And I have a serious complaint about ladies´custum to change their heir colour and hair do :!: :) .

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 9:25 am

I am not actually DXd with this but have some issues with it. It seems to be very context sensitive. If I meet someone that I know in an unexpected place then I have trouble recognizing them. It can be quite confusing. I have a bigger problem with recalling names. I have forgotten people's names mid-sentence, shortly after using them and even after knowing them for years. I'm not sure this is forgetting but rather a problem with retrieval. It's like I can feel the name in my mind but it keeps slipping away,

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

I think I have this, although not severely so. I'm not diagnosed, as I didn't have that looked at. Even though I score in the average range on the facial recognition test, I tend to recognize people by hair and clothing. I've noticed that changing people's hair can sometimes result in them looking completely different to me, and that I rely heavily on context to recognize people. That is, I know I'm likely to see certain people in certain places. When I'm in those places I have an easier time recognizing those people.

I have had issues with distinguishing between different people with similar hairstyles or facial hair in the past.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

AdamFrancis wrote:
Is anyone else here diagnosed with Prosopagnosia? Or do You have serious difficulties to distinguish people from one another?? Thanks.

1st question: no

2nd: yes. I can't recognise my own wife if I see her unexpectedly somewhere outside our home.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

...I experience this. It seems to be a condition that can be experienced in degrees, as opposed to an either yes or no dichotomy when deciding if one 'has' it. I saw a brief interview (maybe a couple months ago) on one of the morning 'news'/talk shows in which a female guest explained her 'face blindness' as being bad enough that she couldn't even recognize pictures of her immediate family (and even of herself!) that'd been taken/developed during her childhood. My prospagnosia isn't as bad... Besides, using hair (which, yes, is often changed-- even a haircut can put me off) and 'context' (such as recognizing others IF they're in a certain location/environment), I've used others' vocal qualities (tones, rapidity, customary volume, etc.), what vehicle they arrive in, what attitude or name others already present use/call out towards someone newly arriving, and have developed an informal categorizing system for identifying others by how they walk or move. Too often, my identifying cues take 'too long' if NT recognition standards are applied so I've also applied a few almost-unnoticeable delaying tactics to give myself time for accurate recognitions. Sometimes all of this still doesn't help: I once worked at a fast-food where we all wore caps that, often, covered much of my co-workers' features. If they're were shorter than me (and almost all of them were), I would very rarely be able to see their eyes, nose, and the shape of their head - and their hair would be mostly hidden. One day, a co-worker (that I didn't recognize) came in, dressed in a formal silk dress for her 2nd marriage and was VERY badly disappointed in me for not having immediately switched into 'praise-giving mode'. :( She stopped being friendly to me after returning to work after her honeymoon.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

^ ^ my sisters can't always recognise themselves in childhood pictures either, as they look similar and are only 1 year apart in age (they mistake themselves for each other). i find it bizarre, but i look different from them so if i looked the same i might have the same problem.

i am very very bad at recognising faces. i borderline-failed the facial recognition test online, and i did an in-person version with a psych a few weeks ago (i get my results to the whole set of tests later today).

i was crying while i was trying to recognise the faces, because i was doing so badly and because i felt like, if the people were real, they would be sad or upset or mad at me for not remembering them. the shrink must've thought i was insane. she had me redo the test with extra time, which helped a little.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

I have not been diagnosed with that.
I have only mild facial- recognition difficulty. Occasionally if I see someone away from where I am used to seeing them, I will take a few seconds to recognize them, but overall I do ok. :)

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 7:51 am

I am almost completely face blind. I don't recognize my own mother if she's out of context.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm

I'm heavily affected by prosopagnosia. It's caused me to lose some friends in the past because they thought I was ditching them or pretending not to know them. I hate it.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

I suppose I do have troubles... I have trouble telling several different people apart until I get to know them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

Xeno wrote:
I'm heavily affected by prosopagnosia. It's caused me to lose some friends in the past because they thought I was ditching them or pretending not to know them. I hate it.

This has happened to me a few times. :( It really really sucks. it took me until my 20s I think to pretend like I recognized someone in hopes they'd let some cue slip that would remind me, and before then, yeah.

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
I am almost completely face blind. I don't recognize my own mother if she's out of context.

Me too. Although I have some good days.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 9:54 pm

My sister changed her hairstyle today.

I noticed this because I walked through the living room and wondered who the woman I didn't recognize was, and then the contextual cues clicked and I realized through process of elimination that she had to be my sister.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Jun 2011, 11:20 pm

I don't notice faces but I was not diagnosed with Prosopagnosia. I have a very rare low vision disorder; I'm extremely nearsighted & borderline legally blind. Not recognizing faces might be related to that

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition