Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

Zokk wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Robots don't think.

I suppose you could ask if we think as we might imagine a thinking robot would. But there is no such thing as a thinking robot.

Was that sarcasm/trolling, or were you serious? Because if you were serious, congratulations, you fit into the OP's category of rigid 'robot' thinking.

Congratulations?

Artificial Intelligence is a bit of a special interest of mine. Robots do not think. Robots are little more than fancy Turing machines. They have no intention. Thinking and calculating are not the same thing. We are very good at making calculating machines that mimic thinking. But that mimicry of thought is not thought.

I am not anything like a robot. There is no robot that is anything like a human. Or even anything like a chipmunk.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Congratulations?

Artificial Intelligence is a bit of a special interest of mine. Robots do not think. Robots are little more than fancy Turing machines. They have no intention. Thinking and calculating are not the same thing. We are very good at making calculating machines that mimic thinking. But that mimicry of thought is not thought.

I am not anything like a robot. There is no robot that is anything like a human. Or even anything like a chipmunk.

I get the impression, just from the way you type, even, that you're a rigid thinker. The fact that you're using absolutes and somewhat stiff, curt sentences and explaining things that don't really require explaing kind of makes me think so. I'm not trying to be snotty or prove a point down the line; I'm just curious: Am I wrong about the rigid thinking? Because that's a kind of related to what the OP's on about, I think; having to have a plan and an explanation for everything.

And the congratulations was kind a kind of a very mild left-field sarcasm toss-in on my part; it's inconsequential- don't take it as an insult or anything, because it wasn't meant to be.

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2011, 10:44 pm

I do not consider myself a rigid thinker. However my thoughts and my decision making process is based on reason. I allways follow my head rather than my heart.

I think NT people have a better ability to process lots of different information at the same time, in parallel. I tend to think very linearly. I am useless at multi tasking but I can focus and drill down to the detail of things well. My current NT boss and I work very well together. He is good at picking up all of the important issues very quickly. I am then very good filtering out the unimportant issues and red herrings, sorting out priorities and finding no nonsence solutions that address root causes directly rather than wasting time just fixing the symptoms.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 11:02 pm

BassMan_720 wrote:
My current NT boss and I work very well together. He is good at picking up all of the important issues very quickly. I am then very good filtering out the unimportant issues and red herrings, sorting out priorities and finding no nonsence solutions that address root causes directly rather than wasting time just fixing the symptoms.

That's cool. My brother and I are kind of like that, too. I'm good at the creative and abstract stuff, and he's good at the practical and technical stuff. Oddly enough, our diagnoses are reversed; I have AS, and he's an NT. But together, we make a pretty good team for whatever project or misadventure we decide to collaborate on.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 6:23 am

Zokk wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Congratulations?

I get the impression, just from the way you type, even, that you're a rigid thinker. The fact that you're using absolutes and somewhat stiff, curt sentences and explaining things that don't really require explaing kind of makes me think so. I'm not trying to be snotty or prove a point down the line; I'm just curious: Am I wrong about the rigid thinking? Because that's a kind of related to what the OP's on about, I think; having to have a plan and an explanation for everything.

And the congratulations was kind a kind of a very mild left-field sarcasm toss-in on my part; it's inconsequential- don't take it as an insult or anything, because it wasn't meant to be.

Rigid thinking is a common aspie trait. But it is just as rigid to insist a colloquial definition of thinking can be applied to robots and then analogized to autistics even after it has been pointed out that thinking is not something robots actually do.

I take no offense, I was assuming some level of facetiousness or sarcasm.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

20 Jun 2011, 2:29 am

I. Do Not. Think. Like a Robot. I. Don't even. Type like one. Either.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Jun 2011, 3:21 am

I don't think "like a robot", although I am not sure what that means. I do have rigid and analytical thinking, although I am able to stop and examine it and work toward some flexibility (I think, anyway). Some days are easier than others when it comes to that.

However, I have in the past been told I must be an AI or robot, but I suspect that had more to do with my posting frequency more than my style. At least I think that's the case. I could be wrong, and I'm out of touch with the person who said it.

Last edited by Verdandi on 20 Jun 2011, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2011, 3:26 am

I think I know what you mean, which is that you basically over-think everything. I am like that too which, I think, is why I'm upset so often because whatever I have done that ends up wrong is something that I actively considered first, even if it's something that no one else seemingly would.

samuraiBSD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jun 2011, 8:22 am

Not exactly, since I don't quite think in binary, but if you're talking about a semi-autonomous program trying to interpret something (Google's self-driving car, for example), then yes, I think I do. Instead of just reacting to situations like my NT boyfriend says people do, I compare the situation to previous situations and analyze the action and end result. Based on that, i decide how to deal with the situation. On my other computer, I actually have a little piece of pseudocode I wrote that attempts to explain how it is I parse conversation.

ezekiel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2011, 1:34 pm

I might be a robot.

As a robot would do, let me suggest some categories of medium and high functioning spectrumites:

Robot Autism: Inorganic. Explore, collect data, analyze, compute, and transmit data. Like R2D2 or the Mars Rover or the Voyager space probes. Can compute some understanding of NTs but purely like a machine would. Alexithymia. Distant. Quiet. A machine. Hollow connections to others.

Little-Professor Aspergers: Organic yet rigid. Strong with pre-determined opinions. Always doing or saying things "wrong". Half like a machine and out of place. Overly talkative on special interests. Misses "the point". Awkward connections to others.

Alien Autism: Organic and quite totally out-of-place in society, as if from a different planet. Thoughts and emotions mismatch the world. Appearance and personality mismatch the world. Just different.

(FWIW)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

My thinking processes are very algorithmic.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

Yeah, so? What's it to you, meat wad? *Lights a cigar*

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

Simonono wrote:
Yeah, so? What's it to you, meat wad? *Lights a cigar*

Heh heh.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 3:44 pm

Explanation: It's just that... you organic meatbags have all these squishy parts. And all that water! How the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad, I have no idea...

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

21 Jun 2011, 3:54 pm

That's how I think many times.

kezzieb

21 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

I would say I'm quite rigid in my thoughts though like wavefreak58 I don't think robot is a good example. It is a very NT expression. My thought process is just very logical, I thought that was a common AS trait.
I also have a script at work like the OP. I also work in fast food, hot dogs not pizzas though. I wonder if that is just a strange coincidence. :)
This is my script at work: 'Hi, can I help?' ... 'Did you want anything else with that?' ... 'Ok, that's £... then.' ... 'There you go. Thank you.' ... 'You're welcome.' I cannot change from that script, I will even say you're welcome when people don't say thanks, the people I work with think that I'm being sarcastic when I do that but I'm not. Also it annoys me when people don't say the right thing in reply, like a lot of people ignore me when I ask them if they want anything else. So frustrating. I work at Ikea.