Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Nov 2007, 5:29 am

I'll often read facts and I'll may discuss things about it if a subject on it comes up and so on but today I offend some one again. This thread on a gaming forum we were talking how the religions in one of my fav RPGs are similarto actual religions. There's a some people in this game know has hashishian they live in hot dersert type land scape and I said they're like Muslims and the hashishian were holy warriors of Islam in the real world.

Thing is... like normal I didn't look at the full picture. In this game these people also sell people into slavery and follow an Evil being like Satan and can summon demons and so on oops.

Bah you can imagine how well that went down. 8O

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 5:31 am

One of the big problems on the internet is the difficulty in communicating, listening, and giving a person a break for a post. :wink:

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2007, 8:46 am

Don't take it too hard. I do it too!

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2007, 10:14 am

As everyone else has said, in one way or another, don't worry too much. It seems like everyone is offended by something these days and just less forgiving of other's mistakes.

"For nonconformity the world whips you with its displeasure": Emerson.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 10:18 am

There is no sure fire way to not offend someone anymore. Heck, you can offend someone by answering honestly to a question that they've asked, lol, simply because they want to hear something else.

People get offended with me because my conversations seem so one sided. It takes me a while to realize it at times, and I'll say "oops, sorry-how are you doing?" or something like that, lol. I think people see me as obnoxious :P

I'm my own guinea pig.

SKOREAPV83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2007, 12:10 pm

I feel the same :(. I'm always offending someone. It makes me afraid to be on forums. I have strong aversions towards certain cultures due to the way I've been treated by those cultures. I NEVER mean to offend nobody, but there's nothing I can do except keeping things to myself to avoid offending others, and that SUX!

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2007, 12:46 pm

I'm always offending people too. Sometimes I don't even realize I am, so the person gets even more offended by my "insensitivity." It's usually over how someone interpreted my actions or comments. I'm not someone who is easy to read, so susupicious people always suspect the worse, and ego-centric people always think it's about them. And I get tired of explaining myself, so I'm like, "You're going get all crabby over that?? Whatever. I've got better things to do."

Some other times, however, I do mean to offend. At those times, there's no mistaking my intent.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Nov 2007, 1:00 pm

me too
on an NT site that was on for 4-5 months this year a new member introducing as AS said wouldn't say much cos had learned from hard experience not good idea!!
I didn't know what she meant at that point, and I had only just tentatively begun to self-diag as AS myself so.. But then i experienced it too! :(
Incredible misunderstandings. I was accused of not being who/what i said i was, of attacking the site, of criticising the admin, of being wind-up artist, dishonest, of messing with peoples heads etc. None of which was true. It was mostly when i was being at most honest and thoughtful , or when confused and looking for answers, explanations.
I think part of it is NTs taking stuff so personally.
:(

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 2:07 pm

You can't take responsibility for other people's feelings. You have to be who you are. When someone gets angry, their anger says a great deal about them, but very little about whatever or whoever it is that feel made them angry. You can't make anybody angry. People get angry. That's the way it is. Same is true for offense. If no offense was intended, then you've done nothing wrong. Apologize and move on.

- Emerson

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2007, 2:38 pm

In my experience, an apology isn't good enough for some people, they consider it to be facade as opposed to honesty, and use it as another excuse to be rude and offensive themselves.
I'm a very irritable person. my illness means I have emotional outbursts from time to time. It's soemthing I can't control unfortunatly, and it can sometimes get me in trouble and leave me feeling guilty and worn out trying to explain myself, which most people write of as 'just another troll tactic'. I don't think ahead, as I can't see through the red mist. Many have said I'm like a different person when I'm angry, and I think it's true. Sometimes, though I offend unintentionally, usually by making some flippant, jokey remark that people take as being my serious opinion.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 2:47 pm

Me too :[ We suck

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Nov 2007, 3:35 pm

I think I offend some people but it's not my intent. I'm simply stating my opinion. I don't think "We Suck" you should't be so hard on yourself. I think we're just honest about what we believe in, and somewhat socially inept. (Sounds like someone has AS to me.) :D

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

14 Nov 2007, 3:59 pm

Take care; being "offended" is one of those tools humans use to manipulate, edit, and control one another; it is tagnetnal to control via guilt trip. Many people these days are so frightened of offending someone, anyone, they'll bend over in any direction to avoid doing so. I'm not suggesting that a reasonable level of sensitivity, open mindedness, respect, and consideration are a bad thing, but don't go so far as to let others user their “offense” to bend you, what you believe, what you think, how you speak... to their will. It is actually a rather insidious way to conquer people.

There seem to be no hard and fast rules; but I tend to be suspect of people, groups, whomever, who become knee-jerk offended over trifles. And, yes, I understand that one man's trifle may be another man's “sacred” thing, but there really are people who use offense as a weapon of manipulation. If I think someone is getting all offended over something for the sake of getting all offended over something, I have no problem making it crystal clear that that's their problem, not mine.

Contrast political correctness with newspeak.

I will go so far to say that I think people who are quick to be offended are weak of mind and spirit.

Good fortune,

- Icarus offends everyone at some point...

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 4:43 pm

I've learned over time that religion and politics are bad to talk about--- period.
I can't even discuss them when other people talk about them, because there is this "invisible" line that you aren't supposed to cross, even if EVERYONE in a room is discussing these taboo subjects. I always seem to cross that line. Sex can be a bad topic to talk about, too. Heck, any topic seems to have a boundary these days--- and crossing that boundary seems to be a talent of mine ( unfortunately).

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 4:49 pm

me too.

I wish I had some sort of damage limitation for putting off people I actually like. :?

GrendelUlf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2007, 5:23 pm

I Know if I said what I was thinking I would shatter people. I have learned over the years to be more passive and comply as it seems to get me farther with people. Saying what I think usually gets me in to the doghouse real quick. When I was younger in my teens and twentys it was really bad. I have never been punched but it has been close. Of course I had no idea until a freind would say to me "I can't believe you said that!". Subsequently Iwould then ask them to explain it to me and feel really stupid about it. There is no way to truly recover with normal people from that.