Page 1 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 2:49 pm

For some reason I find it aggressive, even though it's supposed to be polite.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 3:00 pm

Perchance would sir prefer the phrase "would you kindly"?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 3:02 pm

I'm pleased when somebody says "please." It implies the person respects you.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 3:04 pm

It would feel better if people didn't use any polite formulas/words at all. Politeness feels aggressive.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 3:31 pm

I don't hate it, but I find it fairly pointless. Why is it considered polite if I say a certain one-syllable word when asking something, but it's considered impolite if I don't say it? I'm asking the same thing; I'm just putting a seemingly pointless word at the beginning or end of the sentence, and it seems to make all the difference to people.

Lonehiker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Nov 2015, 5:27 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
I don't hate it, but I find it fairly pointless. Why is it considered polite if I say a certain one-syllable word when asking something, but it's considered impolite if I don't say it? I'm asking the same thing; I'm just putting a seemingly pointless word at the beginning or end of the sentence, and it seems to make all the difference to people.

I agree. I find that most of the time it is used, it has lost its meaning. It feels unnecessary and annoying to hear. I have the same issue with the word 'thank you'. Don’t get me wrong it’s an important word and given the right situation can be appreciative to hear, however most of the time it’s used without much thought and is an automatic nicety as not to appear rude.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 6:25 pm

I find it annoying when someone expects me to say please even when they ask me if I would like something. I have no problem with the word Thank You though. I also don't mind saying please if I am initiating the request but when someone else intiates the request, it feels weird to say please.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 7:39 pm

I sure do feel politeness is pointless. But sometimes, I see the darker side of it instead of it's nuisances.

Because I myself is suspicious towards politeness. It makes people put their guard down and leave them vulnerable.
In other words, when a person feel trust towards the polite person, that's it. One would never know if they have a hidden agenda or a scheme of sort.
It happens often from where I live, where politeness is one of the criminal's part of their modus operadi. And these stuffs are currently the most popular.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 8:39 pm

I'm happy whenever I hear someone say "Please" to me. It implies that there is a connection between me and whoever says "please" to me.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 6:10 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I sure do feel politeness is pointless. But sometimes, I see the darker side of it instead of it's nuisances.

Because I myself is suspicious towards politeness. It makes people put their guard down and leave them vulnerable.
In other words, when a person feel trust towards the polite person, that's it. One would never know if they have a hidden agenda or a scheme of sort.
It happens often from where I live, where politeness is one of the criminal's part of their modus operadi. And these stuffs are currently the most popular.

Thats quite interesting and explains partly why i like people who others think can be quite abrupt or even rude in manner sometimes.
Unrelated to your comment, i ate out last night, and the poor staff at the restaurant looked like they were at gunpoint to act as over polite and friendly as possible.
Chuggers, also, with their have a great day line, stop trying to make me feel bad for not stopping, and pretending you give a s**t.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2015, 8:56 pm

I find 'have a nice day' or when people call me 'ma'am' more offensive.

I was raised believing that the words 'please' and 'thank you' and 'excuse me' etc indicated politeness and respect and without people using such phrases, they should just be ignored.

In fact, I will not do anything unless people say 'please' at the end of it.

After all, 'please' is the 'magic word'. ;)

I also hate it when people bump into me in a crowded place, without even so much as "excuse me" or "I'm sorry" when they bumped into me and not vice versa, because I always apologise for my clumsiness.

I also think it's a 'generational thing'.

The Silent Generation and Baby Boomers are more likely to get upset and offended if these words are not used, where Generation X and Y, either don't care, or feel like it somehow insults their intelligence.

Despite raising my two children the way I was, teaching them courtesy and politeness...and saying 'please' and 'thank you'...somehow, that never seemed to stick...and they never say it.

I gave up in the end.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 9:09 pm

I remember I once had a customer have a massive go at me when I forgot to say please when informing (in a very polite and friendly tone of voice) the price at the till. I always say please now and be formal to avoid that situation where I feel embarrassed and powerless. Did wanna punch that b***h in the face though.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 10:16 pm

Cockroach96 wrote:
For some reason I find it aggressive, even though it's supposed to be polite.

Oh, please

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Same here. "Pass me the butter, please?" sounds a lot better to me than "Pass me the butter."

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 4:46 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Same here. "Pass me the butter, please?" sounds a lot better to me than "Pass me the butter."

I do think there can be a 'dark' side to the word please though. It can enforce respect in situations, a phoney formality, and subservience to the person please it is being said to. I'm not saying i don't think please should ever be said, and cultural customs dictate a certain amount artifice for the purpose of civility.
I forget the culture (maybe someone can tell me?) who pretend that they don't want to be paid after they serve you a meal in a restaurant, because their food is not worthy of you, then you insist, then they say no, and so on till you finally pay, even though you were going go pay all along, and you both new this.
As with perhaps any polite custom, you can find yourself in a situation where being polite, is irksome, because the balance of power can be exploited by the person receiving the politeness, and they exploit this to make themselves feel important.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 6:30 am

No doubt formality and etiquette could be used for nefarious reasons.

However, I still like it when somebody says please to a request--it takes the bossy sting out of it.