Has your emotional sensitivity diminished over time?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

07 Jul 2011, 12:02 am

When I hear a piece of music that I somehow recognize as "beautiful", I can't help but wonder why I'm not moved by it. I then speculate it's because I've become less emotionally sensitive over time and so I'm not nearly as "swayed" by the beautiful/moving things in life. Do you feel like you've lost your emotional sensitivity with time?

Maybe it's just depression but, I swear, everything (Well, major parts of it) seems to be going right in my life right now so I don't see myself being depressed. Well, I say that because my business is flourishing, but maybe I could be depressed because that's my intrinsic nature? Or maybe it's because the romantic part of my life is non-existent(I don't think I can "afford it", honestly. Lol.)?

Or maybe I'm tending towards the schizo* side of the emotional spectrum in my old age.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:15 am

My emotional sensitivity seems to be in the process of diminshing.....not because I don't care but because I am getting burnt out on stressing about other people and such and being so affected by peoples negative comments or attitudes towards me.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 1:15 am

swbluto wrote:
When I hear a piece of music that I somehow recognize as "beautiful", I can't help but wonder why I'm not moved by it. I then speculate it's because I've become less emotionally sensitive over time and so I'm not nearly as "swayed" by the beautiful/moving things in life. Do you feel like you've lost your emotional sensitivity with time?

Maybe it's just depression but, I swear, everything (Well, major parts of it) seems to be going right in my life right now so I don't see myself being depressed. Well, I say that because my business is flourishing, but maybe I could be depressed because that's my intrinsic nature? Or maybe it's because the romantic part of my life is non-existent(I don't think I can "afford it", honestly. Lol.)?

Or maybe I'm tending towards the schizo* side of the emotional spectrum in my old age.

Too long at the roses?

It could be "thinking" or categorizing things that crowd in the moment experiences. A Meta- cognition with intellectualizing cause and effect knowledge hierarchies that box up everything to a point to where you realize that romantic things (emotional) are at the surface of things. You find it's there soley for biological purposes. You just dig deeper and see a different more complex beauty.

I've wondered why as a kid every site and experience was rewarding in some way, but wore off in time. Is it thinking of how you think that kills this? Older people can experience this the same way, but it seems they don't ever ask why about things.

If it's not depression then I'd venture to say that people who largely 'think' realize this and maybe just see it , rather than feel it.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:34 am

Yes and no. Its true that I find it harder to be moved by things, but on the other hand I still relish beauty. I still crave the experience of beauty even though it's harder to obtain. When I'm too depressed to marvel at something or feel a sense of awe it is pretty painful. I think if I was truly emotionally dead I wouldn't even care.

Bill43
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2011, 12:31 pm

However, like that Alice Coooper song "No More Mr. Nice Guy", I learned that "nice guys don't win ballgames". Well, don't tell the "politically correct" that. The Left wingers hate the truth. The truth hurts, and they can't take it. I am less nice, because I used to be a victim of autism. Now, I am fighting for my right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". And if that makes me less nice, are you going to tell me that the Founding Fathers were wrong in their wisdom now?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

Bill43 wrote:
However, like that Alice Coooper song "No More Mr. Nice Guy", I learned that "nice guys don't win ballgames". Well, don't tell the "politically correct" that. The Left wingers hate the truth. The truth hurts, and they can't take it. I am less nice, because I used to be a victim of autism. Now, I am fighting for my right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". And if that makes me less nice, are you going to tell me that the Founding Fathers were wrong in their wisdom now?

I am nice to nice people. I will not be nice to as*holes and willfully insensitive dullards.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 1:10 pm

I have found that my capacity to enjoy 'positive' emotion has increased, and my ability to process 'negative' emotion has gotten 'better'.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

If I listen to the same piece of music, eventually its effect wears off. But on a whole, I am more emotionally appropriate than I used to be.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

I would say I'm emotionally just as "swayable" or susceptible as I used to be, or even more so. My personality varies but it still remains almost intact.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2011, 4:19 pm

I am sure mine has not. If anything it has probably gotten greater. I just hate for people to hurt me, and they seem to enjoy doing it more and more! :x