Do you ever catch people staring at you? How do you feel?

Page 1 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 3:44 pm

What the title says...

And as for me? All.The.Freaking.Time.

-SpaceCase

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 4:08 pm

Quite the opposite, actually. I'm almost run down by twentysomethings when out shopping. I used to hop out of the way, now I keep on walking. (No collisions thus far.) It's like they don't see me. I also have some neighbors who refuse to look my way when they're out for a walk. (! !??) They actuallt turn their heads and stare at the house across the lane. (! !??) Hello, over hhheeeeeerrrrreeee ! !!

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 6:55 pm

I stare at 90% of the people around me--most never notice, and I figure most of the ones who notice are those who stare back. But I do feel embaressed whenever there is -repeated- eye contact. Then I start wondering if they're staring at me, and so in order to find out I have to stare MORE, which probably causes me to come across as rather...creepy. But whatever, I like it when girls stare at me--at least if I don't dispise them. When boys do it, not so much.

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2006, 7:46 pm

I don't think people look at me that much and I feel uncomfortable when they do. If I randomly became permanently invisible I wouldn't be all that upset.

AppleTree
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2006, 8:05 pm

I figure I am more often the guilty party. :oops: Add to the embarrassment is that I am a gal.

The truth is I never really look at the person. I view human face as indifferently as a painting or a piece of furniture. Hence when I am lost in my own thoughts, my eyes could land on a vase, a coffee mug, or somebody's face. :oops:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 11:12 pm

Yeah it happened to me as well during meetings. Gullible freshman HS girls {I'm a junior in HS} love to stare at me either out of making me feel miserable or simply because they want to do it with me. I don't really talk much during meetings but my school has a diplomacy program where juniors & seniors can mentor freshmen & sometimes sophomores when they need it. :x

Sometimes, I get rained on when walking & that makes my coat smell like crap and that feels a little embarrasing. :x

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 11:30 pm

IT MAKES ME WANT TO STAB THEM

Seriously, yes I catch them all the time and wonder why they are doing it. Click glance, fine, but stare.. get off of it :wink:

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 12:16 am

Sometimes they stare at you cause they can see that it makes you uncomfortable. So then they stare at you and go and tell their friends how weird you acted because they were staring at you. And then they will all do it to you as a way of bullying. It happened to me at work. They were trying to intimidate me.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 5:25 am

If it's a look of interst, i'm flattered.

If it's people being smart or jerks/children/crazy people it annoys me. Children never stop staring at me. It's really odd.

azsxdc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Nov 2006, 6:41 am

I have a person in class that stares at me quite a lot. But it's not negative, because she is friendly to me.
One must wonder what they think.

willow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 6:52 pm

yeah. all the time. it used to really bother me. now I just ignore it. I kind of pretend other people don't exist when I have to go to the grocery or something. like they are just big ice bergs to navigate around.

Metabird
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2006, 9:16 pm

Far as I can tell, no. I get a lot of odd glances...

I think people just pretend I don't exist and hope I'll go away if they stop imagining a weirdo's nearby. Seriously, I've stopped maybe ten feet in front of someone... only to have that person walk headlong into my backpack right after.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 10:45 pm

My ex would do this alot when I wouldn't do what he wanted or he was angry with me...more like glare...and he would keep it up for a long time.

I found it very upsetting...I'm pretty sure he knew that too...

I have a hard time with this right now...when people stare at me it makes me just want to run or crawl in a hole somewhere.

Mikka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2006, 3:12 pm

I am aware this happens, but only because people close to me have told me that people stare at me. I don't pay attention if others are staring at me because I'm focused on what I'm doing. There are times I do notice, but quickly look away and get back to task.

One time, I tried to very politely ask a man why was staring at me. His response, "because I want to."

I don't understand why, but I felt like if I asked him any more questions about why, he'd probably freak out and run the other way.

I don't know. I don't like it when people stare at me but at the same time, I want to know why they do it. I can't just be thankful, I have to know why. That question, "Why?" bothers a lot of people.

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2006, 5:04 pm

Usually i'm the one who is staring, which some people can find quite disturbing. I am fascinated by faces, i stare at people longer than is polite, assessing their features and taking them apart.
I have been stared at in the past, though i have usually not been aware of it when people give me odd glances, if someone stares at me and i find it annoying, i just stare back until they look away which seems to be rather effective.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 2:43 pm

My older sister {19} does it to me as a scare tactic because she knows I have AS & that being stared at makes me uncomfortable. :oops: :( :x She also does it as a nonverbal ultimatum.