Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2011, 5:14 pm

I did a quick search and nothing really showed up so maybe this hasn't come up before. I am a visual thinker (can think in 'video') but that's not the only way I think. I also hear my voice saying the words in my head as I typing them (or don't) when writing/typing something like this post. I don't know how to explain it and til I was 25 I thought I was mostly normal and was unaware that I had Asperger's (though I had always known I was different - just not how or to what degree). I don't know how to say this and I tend to ramble if I don't edit myself before hitting enter/send/submit/whatever.

I think in pictures(video ect.) and sounds and feelings. I don't know how to explain it. One of my interests as of the last two years is role playing over the internet through text (kinda like writing a story with other people). And I'll hear the words I want to write in my head as I think them out and then write them (hearing them again as I write) and ..... lost where I was going with this.

Some of my thoughts are not sound or visual but feelings/emotions and since I"m not 'normal' I wondered how normal my way of thinking is.

So does anyone else on here think in feelings? Does this make any sense to anyone other than me? I know it's not very organized but I've never been very orderly.

Edit: Thought of an example finally.

One post a while back asked what a person thinks of when they hear the word 'cat'.

I can picture a cat and can picture the word cat but the first thing that comes to mind is the feeling or maybe essence(?)'cat'. I don't know the right word for it, but it's like my knowledge of cats as a whole, with no visual, is there and I feel it and know it/recognize it before anything else then try to picture a cat since 'isn't that what you're supposed to do when asked to think of the word cat?' And this 'feeling' thing happens so fast and automaicly that I'm not even aware of it unless I really really think about how I think. I never didn't really think about it much before but it's always been there that I know of or at least I can't remember it not being there like I can remember not knowing how to tie my shoes (for the longest time) but can't remember how I didn't know since now I do know and it's nearly automatic when I do it now(though I mostly squeeze my feet into already tied shoes and only re tie them when they come loose again).

Sorry for the rambling and I hope this make a little more sense now.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 7:38 pm

I think I understand your experience. Example for me: I read across your description of "cat" in your post, and what came to me was not the image of a cat, nor the sound of one, but the feel of one brushing across an ankle.

When reading for leisure in English, I hear a voice read the words. It's not my voice though, and I can't determine the speaker's sex or age.