Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

mrsmith
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jul 2011, 4:51 pm

How far is it from a NVLD IQ profile to a NVLD diagnosis?

In my case, the description doesn't fit very well, but my PIQ is in fact quite normal (Because my IQ is high).
(I didn't have the same kind of problems in school)

Also I have ADHD
(Which is supposed to be common, but the descriptions seems to be written about folks who doesn't have it)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:30 pm

I don't know the answer, but I'm wondering the same thing.

What if there's a 50 point discrepancy, but the scores are like 110 PIQ and 160 VIQ? Would that be NVLD? Or do the scores have to be like 60 PIQ and any VIQ ranging from average to very high?

mrsmith

08 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't know the answer, but I'm wondering the same thing.

What if there's a 50 point discrepancy, but the scores are like 110 PIQ and 160 VIQ? Would that be NVLD? Or do the scores have to be like 60 PIQ and any VIQ ranging from average to very high?

I read it as being to "Left brain" (I think PIQ represent the combination of "Left" and "Right").

I think it can lead to many problems even at high IQ, even if then its not rally a LD

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:23 pm

Well, firstly, NVLD IQ profile doesn't always mean you have NVLD. There are other traits needed that aren't measured by IQ tests.

Whether a person with high IQ whose weak areas on in the normal ranmge counts as learning disabled is a tricky question, I guess. It depends how you look at it.

The same teaching style works with a certain learning style no matter what the overall IQ is. Whether I was dealing with a NVLD kid with a VIQ of 80 and PIQ of 40, or one with a VIQ of 140 and PIQ of 100, I'd still want to use a lot of verbal explanation for pretty much everything. And it'd be good to group them together in research, too, because similar phenomenon will show up in both of those kids.

On a social level, though, those two kids would react very differently to being faced with NT expectations. The one kid would just barely meet expectations in his/her area of strength, and fall way behind in areas of weakness. The other kid could do OK in most areas of weakness and excellent in areas of strength.

But another thought is that the high IQ kid's NVLD profile would make it a lot more complicated to accomodate that kid's giftedness. Stick that kid in a special class for gifted kids, and he/she would function just like an average-IQ NVLD kid in comparison to his/her classmates.

mrsmith

10 Jul 2011, 5:44 am

Ettina wrote:
Well, firstly, NVLD IQ profile doesn't always mean you have NVLD. There are other traits needed that aren't measured by IQ tests.

Like?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

Social skills and motor skills.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

Ettina wrote:
I have actually come across two people who have NVLD but still have very good social skills/are socially successful.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

mrsmith

10 Jul 2011, 4:08 pm

Ettina wrote:

To what extent? (How severe does it has to be).

MathGirl wrote:
Ettina wrote:
I have actually come across two people who have NVLD but still have very good social skills/are socially successful.

You can only really evaluate this in children (IMHO).

People can improve as they grow up (eye-contact for example often does), also you can be successful in some ways and unsuccessful in other ways.

(You know 2 people diagnosed with NVLD?)

Last edited by mrsmith on 10 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 6:16 pm

mrsmith wrote:
People can improve as they grow up (eye-contact for example often does), also you can be successful in some ways and unsuccessful in other ways.

(You know 2 people diagnosed with NVLD?)
That's true. The gap in VIQ and PIQ also typically narrows as one grows older. And yes, I know two people with NVLD who are more socially capable. I know more people with NVLD than that, but the rest are not as socially successful. I spend a lot of time being involved with ASD, so I also come into contact with NVLDers quite often as they are sometimes included as being part of the autism spectrum.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Devon80
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2016, 12:05 am

I was diagnosed with NVLD when I was 17 (I'm 35 now).At the time, I didn't fully understand what having NVLD entailed. It was not explained adequately. I only knew that it was the reason I struggled in math. I didn't know it affected every aspect of my life. Last summer, after years of dealing with anxiety and depression I decided to get retested by a neuropsychologist. Sure enough,I was diagnosed with NVLD. I've really been struggling with the diagnosis. More specifically, I've been struggling with the full scale IQ that was calculated during my evaluation. My full scale IQ is 80.The first time I was tested for NVLD the full scale IQ was not calculated. I have a bachelors degree in English Literature and a masters degree in Library and Information Science. The full scale IQ was quite jarring.
A little background on my evaluation:
Verbal Comprehension Index: 105 ( I was very disappointed in this score)
Perceptual Index: 69
Working Memory: 77
Processing Speed: 79

I just feel like a fraud. I've always been considered intelligent. A full scale IQ of 80 Indicates otherwise. How can a person with an 80 IQ have a masters degree?
Currently, I'm unemployed and seeking a position as an archivist. I obtained my masters degree in 2012 (with several archival internships under my belt). Post graduation, I worked as a project archivist for a year. Unfortunately, the work was unpaid.
I have yet to find paid work in my field. I've had several interviews but I can never make it to the second round of interviews. My severe anxiety gets in the way.
I've been in therapy for several months trying to deal with everything. I was recently diagnosed with agoraphobia and chronic depression. So in addition to having NVLD I also have agoraphobia and chronic depression. Swell.
I've read that NVLD and Aspergers are virtually the same thing. There does seem to be allot of overlap between the two conditions. In fact, when I decided to get retested I wanted to see if I perhaps had Aspergers.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 2:03 am

I don't think an NVLD IQ necessarily means you have NVLD. When I was a kid I had language issues, but good visual spatial skills. The last IQ test I took said I had a NVLDish IQ. My verbal IQ was 113, my nonverbal IQ was 87 and my working memory was 74. Right now I'm trying my best to balance out my IQ score. I'm hoping to get a high and balanced score one day. I might take an IQ test when I get into community college.

Devon80
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2016, 9:21 am

In addition to having a NVLD IQ,I also have many social and emotional issues that go along with having NVLD. Not to mention the visual spatial issues. I definitely have NVLD.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 11:55 am

Devon80 wrote:
In addition to having a NVLD IQ,I also have many social and emotional issues that go along with having NVLD. Not to mention the visual spatial issues. I definitely have NVLD.

What visual spatial issues do you have? The only visual spatial issue I seem to have in real life is judging distances in feet or meters. I don't seem to get lost more than the average person and I don't have any issues is art or geometry.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 1:10 pm

I have NVLD. I can't figure out how to get anywhere, which my mom simply can't understand. It's my fourth semester at college, and I still have trouble remembering how to get there despite living about ten minutes away.

Devon80
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2016, 3:42 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
What visual spatial issues do you have? The only visual spatial issue I seem to have in real life is judging distances in feet or meters. I don't seem to get lost more than the average person and I don't have any issues is art or geometry.

I have trouble with judging distance. Driving has always been an issue(especially parking). I get lost pretty easily. Geometry has always been a struggle for me. I've always been terrible when it comes to art. In school I always dreaded math and art class because of my visual spatial issues. It's embarrassing but I also have difficulty getting on escalators. More specifically, I have trouble gagging the right time to step on the escalator.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 4:03 pm

Devon80 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

I have trouble with judging distance. Driving has always been an issue(especially parking). I get lost pretty easily. Geometry has always been a struggle for me. I've always been terrible when it comes to art. In school I always dreaded math and art class because of my visual spatial issues. It's embarrassing but I also have difficulty getting on escalators. More specifically, I have trouble gagging the right time to step on the escalator.

I don't have any depth perception issues when I'm driving according to my driving instructor. I just have no idea how far 20 meters is. I did have depth perception issues as a kid playing sports, but that's because I needed glasses.