Anyplace I can report discrimnation because of my AS on net?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 4:49 am

There is this other online message board I go to. I have posted there that I have AS. I made some comment about how i feel about jocks there and now i can't go there to post, ect.. They did not warn me that they would ban me or anythign like that. I feel I'm being discriminated against because of my AS and autisim. I want to report them for discrimnation. But its just an internet place and not sure I can do it. Is there anyplace I can go to report this. If you are into Roleplaying games, don't go to ENworld, they drive out autisitc people and attack you when you post your opinion.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 5:01 am

KenM wrote:
There is this other online message board I go to. I have posted there that I have AS. I made some comment about how i feel about jocks there and now i can't go there to post, ect.. They did not warn me that they would ban me or anythign like that. I feel I'm being discriminated against because of my AS and autisim. I want to report them for discrimnation. But its just an internet place and not sure I can do it. Is there anyplace I can go to report this. If you are into Roleplaying games, don't go to ENworld, they drive out autisitc people and attack you when you post your opinion.

Welcome to the internets

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 5:11 am

Report it to their web/server hotel. If that doesn't help, which it most probably won't, use a proxy server and start a flame war against those bastards.

Last edited by Litigious on 30 Aug 2006, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 5:14 am

The thing about the internet, it is not like real life, it's completley different.

People don't get in trouble or get arrested for this type of stuff, because they can't. It's just the way it is. The most you can do is get them banned off the website.. and even that would be difficult.. they might not be breaking any rules.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 5:23 am

This type of discrimination is not against the law.

- Emerson

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2006, 5:36 am

Hmm, some questions here:

a) Did you simultaneously express your opinion about jocks AND the fact you had AS in the same post?

b) What opinion did you express about jocks, and how did you express this opinion?

c) Has anyone made derogatory remarks about your AS on the forum prior to your banning?

I'm wondering if you were banned because of how you expressed your opinion, not because of your AS because you said:

Quote:
I made some comment about how i feel about jocks there and now i can't go there to post, ect

Despite that, it doesn't sound fair that they banned you without warning.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2006, 5:54 am

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about things like this. A website is privately owned property, and the owner reserves the right to kick anyone off without reason. If you said you feel you can't post there, it's probably not a problem anyway.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 12:07 pm

Yep.. A web site has the right to ban you from using their services or site for any reason they choose or even no reason at all if it tickles their fancy.

There are no anti-discrimination laws for the internet.

Even if there were it wouldnt apply because just as a resturaunt reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, so does a web site.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 12:30 pm

There is no law enforecement on the internet. Owners and administrators of boards have the right to kick out anyone. The most you can do is rejoin the group by using a different email address and user name, however, if the administrator is watching IP addresses you will probably be detected.

Might want to reflect on you last post before you were kicked out. Is this board for people of all ages? Could you have said something not appropriate to a group that may have children present?

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 12:49 pm

I'd be willing to sign up and spam their forums for a laugh.

travesti_angelique
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2006, 2:27 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
KenM wrote:

Welcome to the internets

Seconded.

AmyRose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2006, 3:34 pm

It happened to me on Butch Hartman's forum. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it. Some forums are just dumb.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 2:34 am

Yes, there is. You can spam the bastards. Just remember to use a proxy server or a library or internet café computer, where you don't have to sign in to use it. :twisted:

Last edited by Litigious on 31 Aug 2006, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ooh_choc
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2006, 3:58 am

Perhaps they thought you were characterising them as an insult.

Most people don't even know it's possible to be autistic without being retarted. Perhaps when they saw you saying you were autistic, they didn't believe it, and thought you were trying to be offensive.